DD Speaks Out on Strongsville ASA B

This may be a first a DD speaking up for my DD (daring Dad) I was a little surprised to see some of the posts for my Dad was supportive of other tournaments that have had problems. But he did have a car wreck the Tues. before an got an 8 inch cut in his head (it's still bleeding). He checked himself out of the hospital, was told to stay in bed which he didn't to run the tournament. Our family and team told him to cancel, but he didn't want to disappoint the girls. The city told him the fields at VP were rented by travel baseball and he couldn't have them, after they promised them to him in January! He did not see the fields till Saturday due to the car wreck, all he was told that they were new and the city was playing on them. Finally he brought in the Dayton umps to raise the quality and they did, but even with typing out and giving every manager and ump a copy of the limits of playing time umps managed to screw it up. The final 16U game run into time problems because some 16U managers complained about the rain and stopped play for an hour. This is strange because I played in the rain and all the other fields including the one next to it to be on time. I have always found it strange that the players don't complain about poor fields, weather, seeding, umping etc. It's always the parents. Lastly it is a B tournament so if you can't win at A either stay home or don't complain you are lucky my Dads such a great guy and lets you play.

Tom Burke's DD

You know its nice you want to stick up for your dad but bottom line is he blew it. Sorry he was in a car wreck but saying the umps managed to screwed up it is wrong. Tom waited until 11 pm at night and email diff. game times,that ?started everything off wrong. And for you to say "" Lastly it is a B tournament so if you can't win at A either stay home or don't complain you are lucky my Dads such a great guy and lets you play. '' ' Now thats really funny,I dont think you have to worry most teams wont be back. ?PS to have every team say how bad it was,well that should tell you something.Also a girl got hurt and fell thats why they stop the game and if Tom was doing his job it would of not took 1 and 10 mins to get started again.

The hour delay was not because they stopped the game to not play in rain. Our team played in the rain. The problem was the field conditions, and it took an hour to get a field crew to work on them after the conditions were too dangerous to play--the problem was not the rain itself. As said previously, the game had to be stopped because the girls were slipping, and it was an invitation for injury. That was after a whole game was played in the rain.

I saw the umpires ask to leave a rake at the field in case it rained again. They told your dad that it took an hour for the crew to show up again and that they didn't want to delay the game. No rake was left, but fortunately it didn't rain again.

I have to say that the umpires at the tournament were some of the best we have seen for the summer. Didn't always like the strike zones, but they made the games fun. Your dad made a good choice there.

Every weekend that my daughters play in a tournament, I am thankful for the people that volunteer their time to work and run the tournaments. The growing numbers of tournaments run each weekend allow for teams of all experience levels to have a place to play. Thanks again to all the TDs and other volunteers for their dedication to the sport we and our daughters love so much.

Yes, at 16U they lined the fields once. They stopped the game that was in progress to line the fields.

maybe you can explain the same issues from last year for your dad

I wasn't at this tournament but have heard and read a lot about it. I really don't think it's appropriate to be taking up issues with the TD's daughter, even though I understand that she initiated this thread. Hopefully when Tom is feeling better, he can address these on his own.