DI team quits because pitcher was "fatigued"

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Whoo - Slow the horses - RMU is a VERY good program and Dr Coleman is a fine coach - this was not his #1 pitcher and she had not yet seen a lot of game time.

This was an error in judgment - He probably should have sent someone (anyone) out to pitch the 5th but he was concerned about the health of his pitcher and endangering anyone else (non collegiate pitchers) by letting them pitch.

Do not indict the program over this one incedent - I am sure he had the best intrest of the players at heart.

I follow both programs and it is a bad situation for YSU and totaly stinks for the records but this certinaly was not done with any malice. I belive Coach Coleman was trying to protect the health of his pitcher.

Last edited:

DougL

Reaction score
Website
www.ohiohawks.com
According to the article they only had to play 1 more inning for the mercy rule to kick in.. knowing how severe the penalty is for pulling your team I can't imagine he would not put any player out there and get it over with. I would guess he has 4-5 players on his roster that pitched in HS or Travel ball add could have finished 1 inning.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
According to the article they only had to play 1 more inning for the mercy rule to kick in.. knowing how severe the penalty is for pulling your team I can't imagine he would not put any player out there and get it over with. I would guess he has 4-5 players on his roster that pitched in HS or Travel ball add could have finished 1 inning.

I agree with you and I'm fairly sure Coleman would agree today - But if this is his worst rule infraction i'll take it. I don't know all the details but I have spoken to people involved in the program and they have said it was a decision to protect his pitcher from injury. Im sure they feel in retrospect it was a mistake.

Reaction score
Whoo - Slow the horses - RMU is a VERY good program and Dr Coleman is a fine coach - this was not his #1 pitcher and she had not yet seen a lot of game time.

This was an error in judgment - He probably should have sent someone (anyone) out to pitch the 5th but he was concerned about the health of his pitcher and endangering anyone else (non collegiate pitchers) by letting them pitch.

Do not indict the program over this one incedent - I am sure he had the best intrest of the players at heart.

I follow both programs and it is a bad situation for YSU and totaly stinks for the records but this certinaly was not done with any malice. I belive Coach Coleman was trying to protect the health of his pitcher.

Don't think my indictment was really that harsh. If you don't believe that choosing to not find a way to complete 1 more inning of play to make a game official at the DI level was Busch or a potential red flag regarding roster management and respect of one's opponent then more power to you.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like he could have gave a statement to defend himself.........Too Bad for all.

But in the off-season Coleman could get a job as stand-in for Jeb Bush!

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
RMU only has 3 pitchers, two were hurt, the third had pitched 11 innings that day and could not continue for the 5th -
It's easy to say just put someone out there to pitch - but had he done that and she would have gotten hurt he would be pilloried for puting players at risk in a meaningless game.

Like I've said it was an unfortunite situation and I wish Dr Coleman would have explained himself - But at this point, a week later I assume that ship is sailed.

teampacyclone

Reaction score
Cobb, the 3rd pitcher isn't even with the team anymore, they are down to 2 pitchers. For anyone to take a shot at Dr. Coleman you obviously don't know him, he's one of the best people in the coaching profession today. I believe 100% if they called it a game it was done to protect his team and lack of another healthy pitcher.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TPC - did they loose the Fresman out of Girard? I saw she only had a few innings

I was wondering same thing. She's still listed on their roster as of today. I have no insight in to the inner workings of that roster, but that was something I noticed as well.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
They had another healthy pitcher. She pitched 14 innings 3 days before the forfeited game and 14 innings 3 days after the forfeited game. I am sure she could have managed one inning that day to avoid this calamity. Or throw a field player in for one inning in garbage time. Professional baseball teams (minors& MLB) do this all the time. Why don't those teams just quit and go home instead? Because you are there to play the game.

Sleith was hurt - she had 6 Days to recover, I'm Fairly sure if she could have pitched they would have taken Stocks out before she gave up 16.
You would have to ask Dtr Coleman why he didnt go with a position player but I assume it was for safety -

Run26

Reaction score
It's all coming together now. I bet this is the team that was doing all the dancing and excessive celebrating.

ohlovessteelers

Reaction score
"Fatigued" or not, it is not a valid excuse for an entire team to quit playing. DD played D2 during a season in which her team traveled with only 9 "healthy" players at times. They did their best and battled through for the sake of commitment.

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score
Looks like Coleman is riding #1 for all NEC games and resting her on non-conference games. Also looks like he's reducing non-conference DHs to single games whenever possible. NCAA rep mentioned he knew YSU wouldn't travel for 1 game, so it appears he tried canceling one of those games too.

- 3/29-30: #1 pitches all 26 innings of 2 NEC DHs.
- 4/01: #2 pitches all 7 innings of game that was originally scheduled as DH. "Partly cloudy, mid 50s, nice"
- 4/10: #2 pitches all 6 innings of game that was originally scheduled as DH. "Mostly cloudy, low 50s"
- 4/12: #1 pitches all 14 innings of NEC DH.
- 4/15: #2 pitches 11 innings of YSU DH where 2nd game was forfeited.
- 4/18-19: #1 pitches first 23 innings of 2 NEC DHs and #2 comes in to pitch last 3 of blowout.
- Today: #2 pitched all 4 innings of run-rule loss that was originally scheduled as DH.

All remaining games are NEC (3 DHs).

coachjwb

Reaction score
A really stupid thing to do ... hopefully the suspension and negative press will help ensure neither RMU nor other teams do this again. Even so, this was a run rule situation in favor of the opponent and the NCAA should make an exception and consider it a full game and count the stats ... and then YSU would only be robbed of one inning.

Last edited:

harley78

Reaction score
One of the first things we all teach young ball players is to keep trying, never give up, and never quit. For an NCAA D1 athletic team to quit during a game is one of the worst things you can do. Shows no respect for the integrity of the game. And sets a poor examples for his players: if things get bad enough, just throw in the towel. Also, trying to protect the health of a particular pitcher is a cop-out. Put someone else in.
Shouldn't judge a coach who has been with the same team as he has unless you know all the facts. Rookie

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
A really stupid thing to do ... hopefully the suspension and negative press will help ensure neither RMU nor other teams do this again. Even so, this was a run rule situation in favor of the opponent and the NCAA should make an exception and consider it a full game and count the stats ... and then YSU would only be robbed of one inning.

You think something like this could affect future scheduling of OOC games?

coachjwb

Reaction score
Good question, Cards ... I think most schools like to get in as many games as possible, and will use out of conference games to either build up their case for the tourney, or get some of their other players playing time. This sounds like a situation where they are extremely short-handed pitching wise. Still no excuse for what happened ... most college rosters probably have 1/2 of their players who pitched in high school or travel ball and who could have got them through that one innning.