End of year - what was the fee money used for !

Grammysoftball

Reaction score
Was wondering how many teams provide parents with an accounting of what the fee monies were spent for this season?

Should this be automatic each season? :confused::confused::confused:

MadT

Reaction score
Most teams will provide a quarterly or monthly statement of the balance and what was purchased.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Was wondering how many teams provide parents with an accounting of what the fee monies were spent for this season?

Should this be automatic each season? :confused::confused::confused:

If the team is managed properly it should have forecasted expenses/budget for each season so yes the books should be closed out and restarted for each new season.
We always issued monthly player/parent statements which was an excel spreadsheet that would have overall team expenses and total player expenses. Less any paid fees or fundraiser / sponsor money.
Just like balancing a checkbook.

pnp911

Reaction score
We were with a team that brought in over $5000 in sponsorships and team fundraising plus got another $1200 from the organization fund raiser. We also paid $700 which included 2 uniforms, 5-6 summer tournaments, insurance and sanction fees. $6200 in fund raising and all our girls got was a bat bag, helmet, 1 fall tournament,1 winter tournament and a couple friendliest. They didn't even do a banner for their sponsors (which was planned in the beginning) one of which gave $1500. The coach was asked several times to produce what was brought in and what was spent and he always avoided doing so. We decided to leave the team along with others before this season even started. It's amazing what kind of scammers there are out there. Now this coach is moving to new organization for next year. SMH

Last edited:

Grammysoftball

Reaction score
That's often the case in organizational sports. I have suggested that people who are changing teams ask up front how this particular team handles such accounting. When a family gets stiffed year after year, no wonder they finally make a choice to move on. It's time to make the money manager accountable for reporting expenses at least twice a season, the important one being the end of the year.

jimhamrick

Reaction score
Saw a team blow up on each other yesterday at ASA 14U Northern Nationals when they were eliminated - appeared to be over finances with coaches and parents at each other - chasing into the parking lot while the poor girls watched in disbelief crying, not a good situation.

FastBat

Reaction score
/\/\/\/\I hope my dd is never on a team like that. So sad.

coachjwb

Reaction score
We were with a team that brought in over $5000 in sponsorships and team fundraising plus got another $1200 from the organization fund raiser. We also paid $700 which included 2 uniforms, 5-6 summer tournaments, insurance and sanction fees. $6200 in fund raising and all our girls got was a bat bag, helmet, 1 fall tournament,1 winter tournament and a couple friendliest. They didn't even do a banner for their sponsors (which was planned in the beginning) one of which gave $1500. The coach was asked several times to produce what was brought in and what was spent and he always avoided doing so. We decided to leave the team along with others before this season even started. It's amazing what kind of scammers there are out there. Now this coach is moving to new organization for next year. SMH

Wow ... I'd demand an accounting for that from the head of the organization, and consider posting on here the name of the coach and organization.

Reaction score
This is something i have learned after being a head coach for 5 years....the SINGLE most important word a coach can have is "TRANSPARENCY".
At the beginning of the season, I would provide an excel sheet showing the approximate budget for the year, showing the anticipated cost of every tourney, uniforms, helmets, bat bags, sock, all expenses, etc. I want them to see that it costs between $1300-$1,500 per person to run a team of this magnitude. Then, at a mid-way point, I would provide them with a financial update, showing all funds received, total spent, amounts still owed for tourneys, etc. At any given time, the books were wide open for any parent to see. All they had to do was ask, and we would be willing to show everything!
I wanted the parents to always feel like their money was safe. I never had anything to hide!

You (coaches)...you are stewards of other people's money. Spend it like it is theirs, not our own. That means.....do your best to find the right hotel as well. Be smart when you shop for hotels...not all parents can swing $650 a weekend!

For all new coaches....please take these words seriously!
Be transparent!

pnp911

Reaction score
The head of the organization didn't really seam to care too much but I will say he did replace that coach this year. Now he is with another organization coaching their 05 team. I hate to name names though.

FastBat

Reaction score
At the beginning of the season, I would provide an excel sheet showing the approximate budget for the year, showing the anticipated cost of every tourney, uniforms, helmets, bat bags, sock, all expenses, etc.
I would go one step further, all money needs to be added or subtracted to a separate "team" bank account. It's the most professional, honest way to manage team banking, and it's just the way it should be done. No way to dispute a separate bank account!

Last edited: