Finish Inning Plus One

Discussion in 'General Softball Discussions' started by OhPhat, Jul 26, 2020.

1. OhPhat

OhPhat Active Member

Many if not all of us have been there where It is obvious a coach is stalling to run out the clock in a game which is not designed to be a timed game.

My DD played in the Celine Wyatt tournament this weekend were 65 minutes finish the inning plus one inning. This is our first time playing in this format and I have to say I really this format is really great to eliminate stalling.

I wish other TDs would consider this format.

BulldawgsDirector and IRdad09 like this.
  2. flygirlsdad

flygirlsdad Active Member

Much better than USSSA 70 min timed games but still doesnt eliminate stalling completely.

OhPhat likes this.
  3. BA824

BA824 Active Member

My 1st time with this as well and liked it but we still had a team use stall tactics in last inning of timed played. Called time, went to the mound, talks the switched pitchers with 2 outs nobody on base. Didn’t even hide what they were doing and claimed it was part of the game

OhPhat likes this.
  4. AnotherSoftballDad

AnotherSoftballDad Active Member

As long as there are timed games...stalling is going to happen. It stinks, but it is reality. Finish the inning, plus an inning is the best way to go if there are going to be timed games.

DanMaz and OhPhat like this.
  5. OhPhat

OhPhat Active Member

We also had a little stalling but the plus one does seem to minimize the effect of stalling.

6. Xrayaries

Xrayaries Active Member

Limit visits and put up a pitch timer. Batter has 8 seconds to step back in the box.

Some of these pitchers out there are like human rain delays without stalling. IE dirt, Rosen bag, towel, sweat band. Walk in a circle. I'm so close to yelling at them.

OhPhat likes this.
  7. BretMan2

BretMan2 TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief

USA put the “finish the inning, plus one more” in their official rules a couple of years ago. But, for some reason tournament directors either don’t like it or aren’t even aware of it.

OhPhat likes this.
  8. DanMaz

DanMaz Super Moderator Staff Member

i like finish inning plus one more. eliminates stalling. (honey tie your shoe!! - no, i mean both shoes!!)

9. Anytime I was involved with a tournament with this format I also liked; however, there never seemed to be enough time allotted to stay in schedule. Fields always seemed behind. Just my experience but did like format

10. OhPhat

OhPhat Active Member

We played in the Celine Wyatt tourney this weekend using this format and it seemed to work well.

BulldawgsDirector likes this.
  11. That's good. They obviously scheduled enough time in between games to keep on schedule

OhPhat likes this.
  12. I agree, love it. Marc did a great job. Plenty of spacing between games to keep everything on time or ahead. Love double elimination format as well and I dont know theres better parks in Ohio than Dublin!

Passion4theGame and OhPhat like this.