forfeited game

Stedman00

Reaction score
Anyone know specifics of recent GMC league game forfeiture? Sycamore 1 - Lakota West 0 on 21 April???

Stedman00

Reaction score
official GMC website result is 1-0 sycamore.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. A forfeit is a 1-0 win. Score doesn't matter at the time of forfeiture.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get that but why the forfeit? Why did they play the game and score it then overturn it to a forfeit?
Are you sure it was completed? They may have been winning 14-0 when Sycamore declared a forfeiture to save face. I've seen that happen before and the only option GC gives you is to end the game early with whatever score it is at the time.

Stedman00

Reaction score
game definatly completed, sycamore is credited with a win, West a loss. Unconfirmed rumor has west had to forfeit due to an ineligible player being used in the game. Again, unconfirmed, but my guess is a player practiced or played with her travel team during the season.

Stedman00

Reaction score
that's for tourney games that are using runs scored and runs against to determine seedings, in a tie breaking situation.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
that's for tourney games that are using runs scored and runs against to determine seedings, in a tie breaking situation.

In MLB it is 9-0! And that doesn't have anything to do with tournaments or seeding...

Actually I just checked the rules USA/ASA rules and all forfeited games are scored 7-0!

Stedman00

Reaction score
it has to be something rules related. looking at GMC box score. 2 pitchers from west combined to throw perfect game and West had 13 hits to score 14 runs (5 earned), But official score is Sycamore 1, Lakota West 0, and now West has 2 conference losses.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sure, but OHSAA apparently, it's 1-0.
If OHSAA is following NFHS, then it should be 7-0!
But we can all just believe the person who posted this score on the GMC site is correct, since he posted it on the internet!

Stedman00

Reaction score
It appears that a player, subbed on a 14U Travel team in a small, local to her, 1 day travel event. possibly with an alias. And somehow video of her running bases made it to social media....and someone saw it.

Hence the use of an ineligible player and the resulting forfeit.

Ironically, this could potentially cost the school a conference championship. Thankfully it was exposed before more severe damage was done.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
It appears that a player, subbed on a 14U Travel team in a small, local to her, 1 day travel event. possibly with an alias. And somehow video of her running bases made it to social media....and someone saw it.

Hence the use of an ineligible player and the resulting forfeit.

Ironically, this could potentially cost the school a conference championship. Thankfully it was exposed before more severe damage was done.

So wouldn’t someone have to file a protest or something in order to cause this to happen.

Tallmadge Force Gold

Reaction score
So wouldn’t someone have to file a protest or something in order to cause this to happen.
The team could have found out and self-reported. Most schools let their players know this is illegal. That player is ineligible for the rest of the season.

Be glad it was caught before she played in an OHSAA tournament game. All games that player participated in would be forfeited after she became ineligible for playing in that one tournament game.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
just another stupid rule in Ohio!!!!!! smh. who cares if anyone played or practiced or participated with a travelball team? oh my goodness... she might be better than a lot of the other girls!? OH NOOOOOOOOO :eek::confused: DUMB. I always hated this stupid rule. PA gets it.... Ohio, not so much.

Stedman00

Reaction score
I don't really disagree with the rule about no travel team contact during the HS season. However, it is the rule, it is not a recent change and penalty is pretty clear cut. The options are to 1) abide by the OHSAA rules or 2) do not play HS softball.

Really has nothing to do with the individual girl's skill level or lack of skill.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really disagree with the rule about no travel team contact during the HS season. However, it is the rule, it is not a recent change and penalty is pretty clear cut. The options are to 1) abide by the OHSAA rules or 2) do not play HS softball.

Really has nothing to do with the individual girl's skill level or lack of skill.
have to disagree here stedman... the thought of a travelball player will freak people out. oh nooooo! she plays travelball. lol

yes its a rule. I think its a stupid rule. that was my point. Why? what does it do to help anything ? who does it help? who does it hurt if a player gets extra work with a travelball team? makes zero sense. its flat out dumb in my opinion.

Option #3 - move out of Ohio and go to a state that doesnt have this rule. like PA. lol