Friendlies

MandM

Reaction score
It kills me to see some teams posting scores of friendlies in August, as though it actually means something. Get a life!

mike_dyer

Reaction score
At one point in my wayward youth I was the night shift supervisor at a warehouse. The company that I did this work for hired people through a temp service most of the time.

Every time we got a new person I would have them introduce themselves. One night there was this great big guy. He wasn't big in a good way for the most part. He was pretty much just a big fat dude.

I says "Hey, new guy, what's yer name?"

New guy says "My name is Ben, but everyone calls me 'Gentle'."

I said "...Well, man,,, I'm not about to call another grown man "gentle." So hows about I just call you Ben, and maybe you could kindly never talk like that around me ever again. ...Thanks..."

I feel the same way every time I hear another grown man say the word "friendly."

WTF is wrong with just calling it a "scrimmage"??? Amirite???

FastBat

Reaction score
When are coaches supposed to work on developing player's and their team if every scrimmage/friendly score is posted? It's plain silly.

The problem with it is, some of these teams are new and IMHO it discourages coaches from not caring about the score and just try new things, give new girls chances, and experimenting with positions/plays.

My dd had a coach last year that would do that (experiment with positions/plays in games) all the time regardless of game/tournament/scrimmage. I hear complaints about rec ball, but travel ball is even more guilty of it.

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
I guess I don't see much of a problem with it. You could go to the other side of it. Anyone who sees these scores and judges teams based on that is just as ridiculous as the ones posting it. It can be interesting to see who is scrimmaging who, but you can not gauge teams on these for the reasons mentioned above.

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score
WTF is wrong with just calling it a "scrimmage"??? Amirite???
IMHO, "scrimmage" is just 2 teams playing a game/DH and splitting costs. "Friendly" has more teams and the host profits by charging more and running a snack bar. YMMV