Fundraiser for Gary Saunders

coachjwb

Reaction score
Many of you probably know Gary Saunders. Gary has been assistant coach at Baldwin-Wallace for a number of years, where my daughter got to play for him. He founded the MC Madness organization, coached in the Lasers organization for a while, was a high school coach a few years, and also gave a lot of lessons over the years out of the Brunswick Bat Cage.

Unfortunately, Gary was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. There is a fundraiser for him at Victory Park in North Ridgeville on August 19th. More info can be found in the link below. If anyone can not attend, but wishes to make a donation, you can send me a check made out to him and I will see that it gets to him. I am sure your prayers are welcome as well.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/softball-game-for-gary-saunders-tickets-35755270978

My address if you want to send me a check (made out to Gary):

Jeff Baker
1051 Wycliff Lane
Akron, OH 44313

This softball community is a great one, and I know we've pulled together in the past for some good causes and good people. Please join me in doing so for Gary.

lewam3

Reaction score
Many of you probably know Gary Saunders. Gary has been assistant coach at Baldwin-Wallace for a number of years, where my daughter got to play for him. He founded the MC Madness organization, coached in the Lasers organization for a while, was a high school coach a few years, and also gave a lot of lessons over the years out of the Brunswick Bat Cage.

Unfortunately, Gary was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. There is a fundraiser for him at Victory Park in North Ridgeville on August 19th. More info can be found in the link below. If anyone can not attend, but wishes to make a donation, you can send me a check made out to him and I will see that it gets to him. I am sure your prayers are welcome as well.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/softball-game-for-gary-saunders-tickets-35755270978

My address if you want to send me a check (made out to Gary):

Jeff Baker
1051 Wycliff Lane
Akron, OH 44313

This softball community is a great one, and I know we've pulled together in the past for some good causes and good people. Please join me in doing so for Gary.

Thanks for the post this Jeff. There was never a time when I saw Gary without a smile or a kind word. He's fighting a tough battle. Look for an envelope in the mailbox from me.
Mike Lew

coachjwb

Reaction score
I wanted to repost this for some who might have missed it with all of the things going on with nationals and tryouts, etc. A couple of notes on this from Ashley Kessler who is organizing this event for Gary:

"Thank you so much for all your help and your kind post on The Softball Zone. We would like people to continue to sign up, buy t-shirts and for girls to play. We are trying to have most sign up by August 9th so we can get a good estimate on the amount of t-shirts we need."

Also, Mike, I did receive your very generous check and I will make sure it gets to Gary. Any others who would like to make a donation, large or small, please send me a check made out to Gary at my address shown above.

Thanks to everyone for their donations and their prayers.

Jeff Baker

coachjwb

Reaction score
Still looking for support for this fundraiser for Gary. To date, I have received 2 very generous checks ... one I received today almost brought tears to my eyes .... you know who you are ... thank you so much. With that being said, donations of any size are much appreciated.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Still a couple of days to get behind this fundraiser for Gary. Again, I will be taking donations I have received on Saturday. It's good to know we support each other in this softball community.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I exchanged messages with Ashley this morning, and this event is still on tomorrow rain or shine. Please try to come out and be "Saunders Strong"! Hope to see a few of you there.

Jeff

coachjwb

Reaction score
Looking forward to the event today. Looks like the weather is going to cooperate! I've had at least 2 people tell me they will be sending me checks for Gary after today and would encourage others to do the same if they can.

GirlonFire

Reaction score
I went to the Gary Saunders softball fundraiser today, and it was moving to see the outpouring of love and support for Gary.
I don't know him as well as a lot of people that were there, but once you meet him you can see why so many people care about him.
Gary is great a coach, teacher, mentor, and friend to so many players, coaches and parents.
Now with the challenges he faces he has become an inspiration to so many, the way he handles himself with grace and humility.
My family and I keep Gary and his family in our thoughts and prayers, and I ask our entire softball community to please do the same.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 11
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

wolfpackmom

Reaction score
Agree completely! Great event for a great guy! I heard $6900 was raised today and it couldn't go to a better cause. Gary has done so much for so many and my daughter and I were glad to participate and help today to give just a little back. Many continued prayers for Gary and his family!

coachjwb

Reaction score
Thanks to all who attended and/or contributed, and especially to Victory Park, Ashley, her parents, and all of the young ladies who played for Gary who really put this on and participated. It was great to see Gary as well as some others who I haven't seen in a while. I couldn't stay until the end, but it was a very nice event. As mentioned above, anyone who still wants to give can still send me a check made out to Gary and I will see that he gets them!

And even if you didn't attend or can't contribute, please keep Gary in your prayers.

coachjwb

Reaction score
One of the things that has touched me about this is to have seen yesterday and heard from over the phone/text from several coaches who have played against him over the years. It shows a lot how much he is respected in the softball community. The event itself was also a great reminder to me how much of an influence a coach can have on young people's lives. I knew he did on my own daughter, but the outpouring of love and support from many young ladies/women and their families has brought tears to my eyes several times in the last few weeks. Saunders Strong!

Last edited: