High School Bussing

Xrayaries

Reaction score
We were notified that we will likely not have bussing for away games. We were sent an email stating we would have to transport to and from away games. The older girls (drivers) are not allowed to drive it has to be an adult. The reason was a shortage of bus drivers.

Stedman00

Reaction score
my DD during HS way before Covid, only had busing to 5 away games per season.

Bullbuck

Reaction score
I'm finding that is the norm down here in TN. The girls carpool from the school. A huge difference down here, which I'm sure causes there to be no bussing, is that the school does not pay for anything except the facilities. The team / parents has to pay for the coaches, uniforms, the substitute teacher if the coach has to miss school for a game, turface / field dry, transportation, equipment, etc.. It's crazy. The fee to play school ball is up there with "A" travel teams.

So, no busses.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm finding that is the norm down here in TN. The girls carpool from the school. A huge difference down here, which I'm sure causes there to be no bussing, is that the school does not pay for anything except the facilities. The team / parents has to pay for the coaches, uniforms, the substitute teacher if the coach has to miss school for a game, turface / field dry, transportation, equipment, etc.. It's crazy. The fee to play school ball is up there with "A" travel teams.

So, no busses.

Does this mean all high school sports have non paid coaches in Tennessee? Football, Basketball, etc.?

Bullbuck

Reaction score
Does this mean all high school sports have non paid coaches in Tennessee? Football, Basketball, etc.?
We're still new here, so I'm still learning. I think the head coach does get a supplemental from the school. I don't think the other coaches do.

To top it off, it is difficult to do raffle and block fundraisers. The law says you have to get an annual permit from the Secretary of State to engage in these games of chance. And they follow the law - this ain't Youngstown anymore.