How to get recruited by Travel Team

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
Coaches are always talking about players getting recruited in college and playing at the next level. What are Coaches looking for in players they see playing that makes them desirable to add to your Travel Program roster?

daboss

Reaction score
The 2 "A"s come to mind initially to me. In my area it is "ability" and "availability" when looking at a player.

Around here we struggle to sign players for summer because the basketball programs seem to take precedent. Many camps and such go on in the summer and girls are drawn to attend them first over any softball play. Our area is very rural and the girls are participating in more than 1 sport in school. Few are 1-sport athletes. In our area the presence of some desirable basketball coaches have won the girls' hearts. Girls seem to be drawn to the authority figures that make them feel special. Add this to some past success in school tournament play in all divisions and basketball wins out. Add more success in volleyball and again the camps win. With school sports being so political, the kids are afraid they'll miss something or suffer from not attending.

Locally, fastpitch does not get the same consideration. Perhaps if it would have started and gained support years ago with basketball, things would be different. Most school programs started out as slowpitch. You have to remember; we didn't have pitching instructors available to teach the girls back in the day. Even men's fastpitch wasn't a sport of choice around here. Slowpitch was the main draw for both men and women in adult Rec. If I recall, OHSAA sanctioned slowpitch first before offering fastpitch and the schools could choose which one they wanted until they migrated to our sport of choice.

I bring this up in an effort to explain "why" the 2 "A"s are important when hosting tryouts for travel ball. We see some great talent but if they are only going to be available for 3-4 weekends a summer, we realistically may pass on offering the girl a spot on the roster. We want talent to compete. We need numbers to field a team.

I like a girl that is willing to put in the work. I want to develop their potential. That's rewarding to me to see her grow as a player and a person. There's no guarantees that even with all the hard work and time dedicated to fastpitch she'll ever be able to overcome those talented athletes that just have a natural God-given ability to play this game. My thing is; those girls already have "It" and choose to develop "It" to the best of their ability or choose to stay at that level and pursue other interests. All of us make choices in life we have to live with. I'd rather work with the ones that desire more. If the natural ability girl with talent wants to dedicate herself to being better, I'll pick her. If she merely wants to pursue travel ball as a part time social gap-filler in her summer, there's a good chance I'll pass.

You would think girls would be more interested in fastpitch compared to the other sports because it takes so many girls to simply play the game. We field 9 players and with the rules allowing specialty spots in the line up you can involve even more in a contributing manner. They can be a part of a team effort and influence the outcome of any game! No matter your height, weight, arm reach, size of your shoe, there is a position for you if you want to hone the skills needed for that position.

I know this probably isn't what SoftballBomb was expecting when starting the thread. I opt'd to go a different direction with my post---------different from the obvious. Talent, speed, quickness, coordination, agility, flexibility, intelligence are some of the factors that are easy to say determine the players virtues that will win over the coaching staff of a travel team. Parents social ability and monetary contribution to the venture will be scrutinized. I wish coaches would look at their time as mentors. Look into the soul of a young girl and see if they can plant the seeds of life into their heads thru sports. When the game is over they should be left being able to contribute to society in a positive manner.

Having said all of this, our job as coaches can be made easier if the core of the player has been honed at home with basics such as quality values, respect, humbleness, work ethic, and the willingness of fair play.

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
The 2 "A"s come to mind initially to me. In my area it is "ability" and "availability" when looking at a player.

Around here we struggle to sign players for summer because the basketball programs seem to take precedent. Many camps and such go on in the summer and girls are drawn to attend them first over any softball play. Our area is very rural and the girls are participating in more than 1 sport in school. Few are 1-sport athletes. In our area the presence of some desirable basketball coaches have won the girls' hearts. Girls seem to be drawn to the authority figures that make them feel special. Add this to some past success in school tournament play in all divisions and basketball wins out. Add more success in volleyball and again the camps win. With school sports being so political, the kids are afraid they'll miss something or suffer from not attending.

Locally, fastpitch does not get the same consideration. Perhaps if it would have started and gained support years ago with basketball, things would be different. Most school programs started out as slowpitch. You have to remember; we didn't have pitching instructors available to teach the girls back in the day. Even men's fastpitch wasn't a sport of choice around here. Slowpitch was the main draw for both men and women in adult Rec. If I recall, OHSAA sanctioned slowpitch first before offering fastpitch and the schools could choose which one they wanted until they migrated to our sport of choice.

I bring this up in an effort to explain "why" the 2 "A"s are important when hosting tryouts for travel ball. We see some great talent but if they are only going to be available for 3-4 weekends a summer, we realistically may pass on offering the girl a spot on the roster. We want talent to compete. We need numbers to field a team.

I like a girl that is willing to put in the work. I want to develop their potential. That's rewarding to me to see her grow as a player and a person. There's no guarantees that even with all the hard work and time dedicated to fastpitch she'll ever be able to overcome those talented athletes that just have a natural God-given ability to play this game. My thing is; those girls already have "It" and choose to develop "It" to the best of their ability or choose to stay at that level and pursue other interests. All of us make choices in life we have to live with. I'd rather work with the ones that desire more. If the natural ability girl with talent wants to dedicate herself to being better, I'll pick her. If she merely wants to pursue travel ball as a part time social gap-filler in her summer, there's a good chance I'll pass.

You would think girls would be more interested in fastpitch compared to the other sports because it takes so many girls to simply play the game. We field 9 players and with the rules allowing specialty spots in the line up you can involve even more in a contributing manner. They can be a part of a team effort and influence the outcome of any game! No matter your height, weight, arm reach, size of your shoe, there is a position for you if you want to hone the skills needed for that position.

I know this probably isn't what SoftballBomb was expecting when starting the thread. I opt'd to go a different direction with my post---------different from the obvious. Talent, speed, quickness, coordination, agility, flexibility, intelligence are some of the factors that are easy to say determine the players virtues that will win over the coaching staff of a travel team. Parents social ability and monetary contribution to the venture will be scrutinized. I wish coaches would look at their time as mentors. Look into the soul of a young girl and see if they can plant the seeds of life into their heads thru sports. When the game is over they should be left being able to contribute to society in a positive manner.

Having said all of this, our job as coaches can be made easier if the core of the player has been honed at home with basics such as quality values, respect, humbleness, work ethic, and the willingness of fair play.

The reason I was asking is because my daughter was approached by other coaches during tournaments. The Coaches would ask general questions to see if they could possibly get her to play for them.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I was asking is because my daughter was approached by other coaches during tournaments. The Coaches would ask general questions to see if they could possibly get her to play for them.

That is a good coach doing his job!
No better way to evaluate a player but to see how they do in actual game situation.
A coach letting a player know they are interested and when they will be having tryouts. You get a feeling if the player has interest in possibly playing for you that next year.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recruited, or poached?
I hope the OP was referring to adults who were looking at potential players for the next season. If that is the case, there is no poaching.
Everyone has the option to choose whatever they like each August! Someone has their head in the sand if they think players and parents are not always looking for the next best thing. It could be for numerous reasons. But it is Coaches, Players, & Parents job to decide what is best for them! If you ain't moving forward, they are looking elsewhere.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
unfortunately there is a very very small window ( 1 week or less nowadays) between the last tourneys of the season and new season tryouts start and they are all on the same days, same weekends, same times, etc etc...

its a very fine line to walk as a coach and how you do it without dis respecting the other coaches, organizations, new and old families and players on that are on your current roster. its tough line to walk. but i will say this.... if you can figure out how to be a great coach, a great teacher, listener, honest, and constantly teach the game to a higher level, they may just come to you. Word gets around fast in the softball world. Good luck!

Last edited:

Long Baller

Reaction score
I've been around this sport for quite some time and know how the game works. For all of the good that comes from Travel Ball, the sleazy, backhanded aspect is as just as big. Someone has their head in the sand if they don't see that going on. Travel ball recruiting (and I can't even say that with a straight face) for next season begins right after this seasons first game.

To answer the OPs question: Coaches are looking for anything that is better than what they currently have. Simple as that. After just a couple of tourneys into the season, that coach will ask you to "sub" with them. If they like your kid, then coach will badger you with reason on why you should play for them next year, and that your current team is garbage. Next year (when you are with this new team), if you see a sub that plays the same position as your DD, then that is a sign that you need to look at options for your following year.

Edit: I meant to quote Captain Thunder's quote to my original reply.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been around this sport for quite some time and know how the game works. For all of the good that comes from Travel Ball, the sleazy, backhanded aspect is as just as big. Someone has their head in the sand if they don't see that going on. Travel ball recruiting (and I can't even say that with a straight face) for next season begins right after this seasons first game.

To answer the OPs question: Coaches are looking for anything that is better than what they currently have. Simple as that. After just a couple of tourneys into the season, that coach will ask you to "sub" with them. If they like your kid, then coach will badger you with reason on why you should play for them next year, and that your current team is garbage. Next year (when you are with this new team), if you see a sub that plays the same position as your DD, then that is a sign that you need to look at options for your following year.

Edit: I meant to quote Captain Thunder's quote to my original reply.

You are right, but that Ugly comes from all sides! You have parents who have their kid playing on her 6th team and she is still a 12U player!
You have parents who are always trying to look for that greener grass. I have been on all sides of this situation - The one thing you are right about - It is UGLY!
But it def is not one-sided!

Long Baller

Reaction score
You are right, but that Ugly comes from all sides! You have parents who have their kid playing on her 6th team and she is still a 12U player!
You have parents who are always trying to look for that greener grass. I have been on all sides of this situation - The one thing you are right about - It is UGLY!
But it def is not one-sided!
I agree 100%

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP title is "how to get recruited by travelball team" did you mean.. how do coaches recruit players for their travelball team? plz clarify because these are 2 different things.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
Oh how I love the lords of softball. Every year it is a different mom that makes the team suffer. We had a mom pull her daughter from the team because the rest of the parents did not want her to help coach. She sucked, all the girls hated her. It was bad mojo all the way around. I have seen players siting the bench get pulled from the dugout and leave a tourney. Although the softball community is large it becomes smaller from tourney to tourney and year to year. Everyone knows the bad apples by 14U. Don't be the bad apple and you will get some interest as long as your talented.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Recruited, or poached?

Teams should be recruiting by 1. The tournaments they play in, 2. how they compete, and 3. how many ladies go on to the next level/stay from year to year. You do a good job in this area and you do not need to recruit players will come to you....

It is sad but poaching does happen... As a coach I did have players come to us from other teams however I never actively recruited players during season even with injuries and they always started in the fall.

Back in 2012 I had a pitchers parent approach me stating that at the hotel a well know Columbus organization had a parent recruiting to fill holes from injuries and departures.
I approached the coach (that denied having a parent recruit) after our game that day. I found out from another coach later his parents were also approached by them.