Hypothetically, if there no college football what happens to Softball?

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking if there is no college football this year what will be the collateral damage for Women College softball in 2021?

Dad

Reaction score
If (e.g. the University of Northern South Dakota, etc. ) gets their early-season away game against Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, etc. - and a $1.2 million payday - cancelled it will have huge impact on the entire sports program including softball.

jpkeating

Reaction score
Not just softball, all NCAA sports programs will be in trouble. There are only 2 sports that make money for the NCAA, football and men’s basketball. If neither happen this year it’s really would be going into uncharted waters, and not in a good way.
Look at how many universities are cutting sports programs and the only thing that didn’t happen this year was March Madness

PaulP

Reaction score
The race to build bigger and newer training centers, weight rooms and private club houses to attract recruits is going to change drastically. But I’m afraid even that won’t significantly help softball. I’m worried schools will only keep the girls sports that have bigger rooster (e.g., lacrosse) or are less expensive (e.g., bowling, fencing).

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On 97.1 radio Station in Columbus Ohio today. They said if there’s no college football in 2020 it will take a minimum of two years for college football to be financially viable again. I guess now with the IVY schools canceling their fall sports. they will be the ones to watch to see what it’s gonna look like when the dust settles.

daboss

Reaction score
Just my opinion but from where I am standing you are seeing schools going back to the basics of what they were meant to do and that's educate. There's still plenty of money to be made there. It's not as fun or flashy but still a good business. They got into the business of sports when they saw how much money could be made. Up till then, sports were something of recreation that the schools offered to help with the health and development of the individuals both mentally and physically. It's a known fact even back in the day that a break from the mental grind was good for a soul.

I can close my eyes and see some guy at the local barber shop talking it up with patrons that the idea of sporting events became a business. Some dad probably bragging about his son's and their friends playing rugby or some crap and how good they were that another patron piped up and said he would "pay to see that happen". The next thing you know dads were forming "Booster Clubs" and acquiring property next to the universities to built fields. The schools saw how many people would attend on a Saturday and decided the school could benefit from the income if they charged admission so they offered to mow the field if they could set up ticket booths once the booster club put up a fence to keep out undesirables. Some booster dad mentioned if they had lights and could play at night more people could come watch. Another mentioned if the Booster Club would sell hot dogs and coffee at a concession stand they could get the team uniforms.

The whole thing snowballed into a trend that has become a staple in society. Sucked me in..............I wouldn't change a thing.

Covid-19.

Here we are people. 2020. The greatest country in the free world has been brought to its knees. Until the world gets a vaccine our lives are dependent on change. We have to accept it. The business of sports will halt but won't go away. Over time it will rejuvenate and we'll all be looking forward to tailgate parties on the weekends. Until then, with less flash, we'll be watching sports from the safety of our homes thanks to modern day technology. Soon, somebody will figure out a way we have to pay to watch it so they can profit from it.............Oh wait...............I get it now.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If (e.g. the University of Northern South Dakota, etc. ) gets their early-season away game against Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, etc. - and a $1.2 million payday - cancelled it will have huge impact on the entire sports program including softball.

Just announced that Big 10 is only playing Conference games this Fall!!!

Danno

Reaction score
. We have to accept it

we do not have to accept it. It’s high time constitution loving Americans stop groveling and cowtowing to the left.

lewam3

Reaction score
. We have to accept it

we do not have to accept it. It’s high time constitution loving Americans stop groveling and cowtowing to the left.
It's neither right or left, Democrat or Republican, Trump or Biden. Covid 19 is a real virus that spreads like a mother. It affects the elderly and unhealthy in some really nasty ways. It is more forgiving in the young, but honestly, athletes that get Covid, especially the elite, who depend on that 2% difference in reaction speed and stamina, might lose that forever, after contracting it. It isn't a hoax, it is real. Like Da Boss said, Colleges and Universities are for learning, education, job training- really. DD had the luxury of plating 3 and 1/2 years, losing last spring to Covid cancellation. But her friends that are still there, probably wont see the 2021 season, and maybe forever. Look at Stanford with their 27 BILLION endowment, cutting 11 sports permanently. This Covid is a gutcheck, a real pandemic. Look at Texas, Florida, Arizona, Florida. No one is doubting it there now. Trust me, Danno, you might think this is a constitutional infringement, but please, take this seriously and JUST DONT GET SICK!!!!!

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Just announced that Big 10 is only playing Conference games this Fall!!!
Ball State, Bowling Green, BYU, Central Michigan, UConn and Northern Illinois -- were scheduled to play two Big Ten opponents this season....some of these were in line to get some big checks and now they won't be....

City Slicker

Reaction score
Akron will lose 1.1 million from losing the Clemson game.

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Bowling Green losing 2.2 million after already laying off staff and cutting baseball from the athletic program back in the spring.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kent state lost 1.5 million from losing the PSU game
if the SEC does the same as BIG10 they wont play Alabama either or Kentucky. local paper states Kent could lose close to 5 million if they cant play these 3 games

Last edited:

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
My dd goes to a D1 school without football. Lost her roommate to the transfer portal because she would not be included in the travel rooster. My daughter was offered her same $ for the fifth year. But will be included in the rotation for hitting and playing a backup position for the smaller travel squad.

Football loss will be awful for schools! But same as loss of the Men's basketball when this all started. The Sweet Sixteen....ugh! March Madness...ugh!

But people still do not believe this is real???

Played with many amazing softball girls this summer including a Wright State girl that found a home in Dayton! So cream tends to rise to the top!

Football at the high school level covers about $200,000 of athletics with men's basketball covering about $100,000 in revenue at the D1 school level (based on Federal League-Stark County Ohio).