Is college recruiting ruining the softball experience?

Discussion in 'General Softball' started by coachtomv, Jan 11, 2018.

1. coachtomv

coachtomv Member

I saw this today: https://nfca.org/index.php?option=c...against-early-recruiting&catid=284&Itemid=149

So, coaches, parents, organizations, players........how would you approach softball without recruiting pressures?

Would you be more relaxed?
    Would it be more about the love of the game?
    Would you choose the same softball team/org/coaches?
    What would your priorities be?

Personally, I feel that we have lost what its all about to some extent. These kids start to play for the love of the game, not for any other reason, same goes for coaches. We love it, we work hard to get better because we love it. We love to win and compete. We love the experiences, friendships, rivalries, the memories it all creates.

When we play to showcase what we can do, but control it and take winning out of it, then what are we doing? Do you think, wow what a cool showcase..... that noone played to win at...awesome.

Recruiting and playing at the next level is a by product of today, but today should always be the focus, everything else will work itself out in due time.

Personally we should all have goals, short and long term. I dislike a travel season where there is no team goal for that year. I like the idea of having a goal to play at a national event, obviously that flexes with the talent. When the goal is how many showcases we can go to and then the season just stops, that sucks to me, what if High school was that way also. Think of all the cool memories and legends that process of striving for a championship creates.

Remove the obstacle of recruiting and lets play ball...for real.

2. jt7663

jt7663 Member

It would be easier if they wouldn't have to start as young as 13 or 7th Grade. Put a Limit of 9th Grade to give them a couple years to (just Enjoy the Game) & Mature. I know that topic has been thrown out previously just though I'd get the ball rolling. lol

TheSoftballZone likes this.
  3. coachtomv

coachtomv Member

Personally I like the recommendation of Junior year. That makes much more sense to me. Everyone is too big a hurry, IMHO.

4. gatorcoach

gatorcoach New Member

"I dislike a travel season where there is no team goal for that year. I like the idea of having a goal to play at a national event, obviously that flexes with the talent. When the goal is how many showcases we can go to and then the season just stops, that sucks to me, what if High school was that way also."

Any coach doing this is doing a great disservice to their kids. You can very easily play a combo of showcases and good competitive tournamemts with a strong end of year National no matter what your level, or what amount you want to travel.

I do agree that new legislation will be a great thing. I personally would like to see Soph year and you can sign NLI Soph year. Take the verbal out of it.

coachtomv and Captain_Thunder like this.
  5. City Slicker

City Slicker New Member

YES!!!!

coachtomv likes this.
  6. allcorners

allcorners Member

It absolutely ruins it.

coachtomv likes this.
  7. manitoudan

manitoudan Member

Just verbal as a 7th grader , that takes care of everything .. tongue firm in cheek .

Pacerdad57 likes this.
  8. FastBat

FastBat Active Member

Like the good old days...it was a happy surprise to sign early in the fall of your senior year. Verbals? Try explaining what that is to anyone who is now a generation removed from all of this. If you asked a junior HS girl when I played, if she was playing in college, she might reply saying she hoped to. My mother swears this happened when I played, I've heard this story many times; my sister was a junior playing on defense at our HS field (location is correct spring reg season HS), my mom was sitting in the stands watching and a college coach at that game watching another girl as well, a senior, who ended up playing at that university. My poor mom, in ear range of this coach, had to sit listening to him rant and shack his head about how they couldn't be serious about this potential recruit, she was too small to play D1! There are so may differences from then to now, that would never happen in 2018...maybe it's good, but maybe not?

coachtomv likes this.
  9. Rotte

Rotte New Member

It is certainly harming the game & experience! A friend of my has been coaching 10u Travel Ball, for over 20 years. He had a very good team last year! Problem is, some of the parents were already worried, because they didn't see college coaches at the games! It is way too much on these young girls! It is difficult enough to be a teenage girl, without all this recruiting stuff. It's getting to a point if you're not committed, by 9th grade, to a power 5, it's a failure. Ridiculous!!!!! Our game has so much to offer! I have an older daughter, that did not go onto play college ball. She was a special talent! It just was not in the cards to play at the next level. I would not trade the time spent together, meeting great people, and all the great experiences. It was a fantastic ride & experience. I have a younger daughter who committed to The Ohio State University at a young age, and will be heading to Cbus next year. What I know now, is the fun is in the chase! I would give anything to go back & time with that knowledge. Let these kids enjoy the game! It’s just a blink of an eye from being over.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    FastBat, sbcraz and coachtomv like this.