Lady Trailblazers' Ferguson blanks Indians

GRAY — Nickolette Ferguson was unhittable — and a hitter — on Tuesday. The Daniel Boone sophomore fired a no-hitter against Dobyns-Bennett and ripped a three-run double, and the Lady Trailblazers earned a 7-0 win in a Big 7 Conference softball game at Boone’s field. “I really didn’t know until after the game was over with,” Ferguson said. “It’s always ecstatic when you hear you’ve pitched a no-hitter, but I couldn’t have done it without my team behind me.” Shortstop Jaycie Jenkins handled a tricky ball in the infield and fired to first base for the final out. Freshman MaKenna Dietz also had a defensive hand in the hitless performance, making a diving catch in center field in the sixth inning. Boone (20-9, 5-1) remained in a virtual first-place tie in the league. FERGUSON’S BIG DAY Completely in charge from the get-go, Ferguson had everything working — especially her curveball. “Mostly I was throwing a curveball, and it was kind of dropping off at the end,” she said. “They were just kind of going for it.” Ferguson faced 23 batters and was a walk and hit batter shy of a perfect game. She struck out five. Ferguson’s big hit came in a four- run second inning that put D-B (14-10, 2-6) into a 5-0 hole. The ball appeared possibly headed for a grand slam, but the whipping wind had other ideas. “I think it knocked it down a little bit, just made it curve down a little bit,” said Ferguson with a smile. “But it’s the wind, what can you do?” OTHER STANDOUTS Ashley Starnes was 3-for-4, Jaycie Jenkins was 2-for-2 with two walks and three runs, and Megan Acker- man went 2-for-3 with two RBIs. JEREMY JENKINS’ VIEWPOINT “Any time we come out and throw a no-hitter and really back her up and don’t make any errors in the field, with conditions like they were today, it’s really something for our pitcher and our defense,” Daniel Boone’s coach said. “These last two weeks you need to be playing your best ball, and pitching and defense are what’s going to carry you. That’s what has carried us the last two years.”

Continue reading...