Catching and Catchers discussion Now's the time

Winter time is coming...inside time. :( Coaches don't forget to work with your catchers!! This postion is often forgotten and not much instruction is given to the bosses behind the plate. They can and will make a difference in the outcomes of your games, so teach and prepare them to be the leaders you expect them to be!! Blocking, catching, framing, throwing, tagging, pop-ups, bunts, runner pick-offs, steals, etc... Without a strong catcher behind the plate, your defense will not succeed.

I hated winter workouts as a catcher because I found myself having to basically catch while the pitchers got their work in. All the individual work that pitchers put in the winter is important but forgetting about the catchers can actually make them worse... Forgetting fundamentals, etc.

Nothing drives my DD (and me) more nuts than 2 hours of her handing the ball to the coach hitting infield practice.

i agree something we are going to focus heavily on this year in upcoming months we are blessed with 2 really good catchers and you are right everyone focuses on pitching so much more often than catchers and catchers play just as big a role on the team.by far 2 most important spots on field not that other positions arent important as well but you do see alot of coaches not work catchers enough.especially at 10u and 12u we have faced teams that were solid everywhere great pitcher and the catcher could not hold anybody or missed balls in dirt that all pitchers throw

At 10U and 12U, they should spend most of their winter doing blocking work. Pound it into their heads while they are young. Drop and Scoop!! It doesn't matter how strong their arm is, they cannot throw a runner out if they cannot catch a ball in the dirt.

Nothing drives my DD (and me) more nuts than 2 hours of her handing the ball to the coach hitting infield practice.

This is a major waste of time. The best way to resolve this is for the coach to have a glove on 1 hand a bat in the other. We do this for both infield and outfield and it eliminates 2 players standing around.

This is a major waste of time. The best way to resolve this is for the coach to have a glove on 1 hand a bat in the other. We do this for both infield and outfield and it eliminates 2 players standing around.

I agree but have found a use for the 1st baseman to catch for us... she works on proper reach/stretch/timing and gets valuable rep's prior to the start of the game. During practice... we limit this cause we too see it as time that can be spent in better ways in the field or running in the drills. Bored moms and dads usually have been known to get in on the act.

Catchers, Klump, other experts.....

Last summer I saw some extremely talented pitchers in which a few had fantastic rise-balls. Each of these girls dominated in their own right, but also had some issues controlling the rise at times in which their catchers seemed to be incredibly challenged to get up on those rises that get away from the pitcher.

A couple of these catchers developed a half squat position for every pitch as not to tip off when the rise was coming. However, when the curve or drop hit the dirt they were NOT in any position to block and therefore many, many, many, many bases were advanced.

So, my question is? Isn't this the pitchers problem in which the pitcher needs to get the rise under control, otherwise the catcher is defensively diluted if they have to be on the lookout for the "High Rise"(^_^!).

As a spectator I found it odd to hear coaches sternly advising the catchers, "You need to catch that ball". Kid you not, the ball was 7ft high if not higher. If that is an expectation of a catcher, then I must say, they have the hardest job on the field.

Just curious what all you catcher experts think about this scenario

Catchers, Klump, other experts.....

Last summer I saw some extremely talented pitchers in which a few had fantastic rise-balls. Each of these girls dominated in their own right, but also had some issues controlling the rise at times in which their catchers seemed to be incredibly challenged to get up on those rises that get away from the pitcher.

A couple of these catchers developed a half squat position for every pitch as not to tip off when the rise was coming. However, when the curve or drop hit the dirt they were NOT in any position to block and therefore many, many, many, many bases were advanced.

So, my question is? Isn't this the pitchers problem in which the pitcher needs to get the rise under control, otherwise the catcher is defensively diluted if they have to be on the lookout for the "High Rise"(^_^!).

As a spectator I found it odd to hear coaches sternly advising the catchers, "You need to catch that ball". Kid you not, the ball was 7ft high if not higher. If that is an expectation of a catcher, then I must say, they have the hardest job on the field.

Just curious what all you catcher experts think about this scenario

The pitcher needs to spend a few hours a week in the gym getting her rise under control or stop throwing it. As a catcher, I called my own games. If a pitcher is throwing a pitch that is not working, and a rise ball that is 7 ft high is NOT a successful pitch, than I wouldn't call it anymore...especially if I had runners on base. That is considered a wild pitch, not a passed ball!!
Which brings up another point, the catchers need to learn to call their own games. They see what is going on, they know what pitches are working or not, they are playing the game and have the best view of what should be done. Give them the knowledge and experience and it will pay off. The coach who is sitting on the bucket yelling at the catcher to stop wild pitches is probably the same coach who keeps calling the rise that is not working. It is the girls game, let them play it. My 11 year old catchers call their own games. It bites us a few times now, but they learn and when they are 16, they know what to look for and can call a better game than me sitting on my bucket. It's about teaching them the game, teach it.

The pitcher needs to spend a few hours a week in the gym getting her rise under control or stop throwing it. As a catcher, I called my own games. If a pitcher is throwing a pitch that is not working, and a rise ball that is 7 ft high is NOT a successful pitch, than I wouldn't call it anymore...especially if I had runners on base. That is considered a wild pitch, not a passed ball!!
Which brings up another point, the catchers need to learn to call their own games. They see what is going on, they know what pitches are working or not, they are playing the game and have the best view of what should be done. Give them the knowledge and experience and it will pay off. The coach who is sitting on the bucket yelling at the catcher to stop wild pitches is probably the same coach who keeps calling the rise that is not working. It is the girls game, let them play it. My 11 year old catchers call their own games. It bites us a few times now, but they learn and when they are 16, they know what to look for and can call a better game than me sitting on my bucket. It's about teaching them the game, teach it.

As i agree with the girls learning the game I am not so sure that the catcher can see what kind of swing the hitter really has.
I have been able to watch hitters closer than the catcher can since she has to actually catch the ball and watch runners and so on.
There are very few kids that do not have holes in there swings somewhere and I dont believe a catcher will be able to see that like I can fro the sidelines.

just a thought

A good catcher can spot a weak swing ie: gate swing. swinging down on the ball, shortening the bat by pulling out the shoulder....... if she has her ducks n a row she can make a huge difference in a game by calling pitches to capatlise on those types of swings

You'd be amazed at what a catcher can see from back there.

I have never caught our catcher in a game but she throws 61mph and I really dont think I could watch a swing and catch the ball at the same time.

plus there probably is not any catchers willing to take chances calling certain pitches in critical situations, like 3 2 change ups or 4 or 5 changes in a row.

As the pitch caller I dont have to answer to anyone so I am not afraid to call anything at anytime.