Organizing a 16U Tryout

Michael Jones

Reaction score
I am an experienced coach but it has been a couple of years since I have held a tryout.
I will be coaching a 16U team and I am looking for drills/ideas to hold a great tryout.
I am good with pitching and batting reps, but looking more for ideas on infield/outfield drills.
Thanks for your ideas/suggestion.

daboss

Reaction score
Michael, talk with Mitch, John, and the gang and run the tryout just as they did for years. Those drills are as thorough as you can have to determine the skill level of the girls in attendance. There's no need to re-invent the wheel.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Like Daboss said make sure to have plenty of help for a successful tryout. Run drills that keep the players moving. As long as you can hit the drill sequence Around the horn for infield that gets ground balls at both angles players running low and diving ability. Another good one for infielders is the split shuttle drill with a group at Ss and the other half at second hit one side through then go the other way. 3 Fly balls in a tracking diamond is a good one for tracking fly balls. Best to use a machine for consistency but you can also do this one hitting. Of arm strength and accuracy can be done with 2 more fly balls and throws to 2nd-home