Parent etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok is it just me or are some teams known for their rude ignorant parents? We were at a tournament over the weekend. Game ended. We were scheduled on the same field. Immediately after game that ended. Our girls do not clear out. Our parents do not move...as we have no need to. Behind us in moves another team whose parents proceed to carry in a tent and chairs right into a couple of our parents. Forcing them to get up and move...when I say move in they had the corner of the tent coming right at them with no intent to stop moving. Then the girls began to make little rude comments at our team. Someone mentioned maybe they weren't on thise field. I nicely turned to one mom and said not sure what's going on but that we are scheduled to play back to back on this field. I got a snotty look and a "whatever" from her. I was just trying to let her know why we hadnt packed up. Some teams need to realize the world does not revolve around them and that they need to treat everyone with respect. Turns out the schedule was wrong and had them on this field too.

Ok is it just me or are some teams known for their rude ignorant parents? We were at a tournament over the weekend. Game ended. We were scheduled on the same field. Immediately after game that ended. Our girls do not clear out. Our parents do not move...as we have no need to. Behind us in moves another team whose parents proceed to carry in a tent and chairs right into a couple of our parents. Forcing them to get up and move...when I say move in they had the corner of the tent coming right at them with no intent to stop moving. Then the girls began to make little rude comments at our team. Someone mentioned maybe they weren't on thise field. I nicely turned to one mom and said not sure what's going on but that we are scheduled to play back to back on this field. I got a snotty look and a "whatever" from her. I was just trying to let her know why we hadnt packed up. Some teams need to realize the world does not revolve around them and that they need to treat everyone with respect. Turns out the schedule was wrong and had them on this field too.

There a couple org's in SW Ohio that act like that all the time. They are the smaller org's. I'm sure every area of the state has them, even Stark County. Ignore them and don't let them ruin your day. They are ignorant. ;)

Re: ,,,

There are some teams that are infamous for their pain in the a$$ parents. There are always a few that have to ruin it for everyone.

I had a lady set up her chair, open an umbrella and sit directly infront of me. She turned around and asked if she was in my way and I said YES, so she turned back around and watched the game. Why ask if you have no intention of moving?!?! And I was the scorekeeper...and it was in Stark County!!!! Some people have no manners or class.

Re: ,,,

They are in AZ too, they are everywhere, but commonly in the 14 and under, lol! We were in a game in Vegas and the Tucson team had parents/grandparents spread from one dug out to the other behind the backstop and they reserved way before our game was due to be played, coming from Ohio, I had no idea how people act out here, but from all the name calling I heard and the disrespect from the elders, was funny S%$#, thank god I dont use a chair. lol

Re: Parent/Player/Team etiquette

There are a few types of these etiquette dummies.

1) The team that fails to leave the dugout and field when their game is done, knowning another team is coming on directly afterwards. They seem to think they can do their team meeting right on the field during a tournament.

2) The team that pulls up behind your dug out assuming you are the loosing team in elimination play not having a clue on who is winning.

3) The team that sees you are set up warming up next to a certain dug out, bat bags stagged behind the same dug out and they proceed to take that dug out.

4) The parents that cheer against other teams. We had a team like this in Compuware this weekend. It was so nice to send them home in elimination. Cheer for your girls, but not against others!!!

4) The parents that cheer against other teams. We had a team like this in Compuware this weekend. It was so nice to send them home in elimination. Cheer for your girls, but not against others!!!

I heard Compuware was brutal! My husband and dd (12u), came home and told me that some of the fans from two separate michigan teams were unreal.... "tag her in her in f@cking head next time" when they didn't get a call by the ump.... alot of swearing, parents arguing with the Coaches in the middle of the game, negative cheering, parents swearing at their kids to do this or that...yikes!

My husband was sitting near some parents of the opposing team who were actually laughing at our players. That is not cool. Even worse, they were right behind home plate. Get some class people!

I heard Compuware was brutal! My husband and dd (12u), came home and told me that some of the fans from two separate michigan teams were unreal.... "tag her in her in f@cking head next time" when they didn't get a call by the ump.... alot of swearing, parents arguing with the Coaches in the middle of the game, negative cheering, parents swearing at their kids to do this or that...yikes!

The hotel we were at had a group of parents and coaches in the parking lot arguing for almost 3 hours in a big circle with several parents in tears about the playing time, how the girls were treated and talked to. I know it was not a team we faced, but 2 of the teams we faced the coaches pulled a fielder out of the game during the middle of the inning. I understand wanting to win, but I am not sure I could pull a girl during the middle of the inning unless it was a pitcher. Yelling and screaming parents, fans and coaches does not help the girls.

Hopefully your daughter still had a good time this weekend and she can block out the insane people. This sport is about the girls and sometimes would be a whole lot better without fans, at least the ones you describe. Good luck to her this season.

I honestly think the parent issues are getting worse...talked to several teams who are experiencing this on their team or seen it this summer from teams they have played- looking forward to moving up to 14u next year- hopefully that age group is a little more mellow

I won't defend them and have no respect for the families and/or organizations that fail to display any etiquette but I truly despise the spectators that feel the need to defame a player in order to watch a game of fastpitch softball played by young ladies. Most of the time I deal with attitudes from kids or attitudes from parents that hinder efforts to teach our game to those wanting to improve. For the most part; attitudes are taught at home much like respect and common courtesy. Situations can always be handled better but for the sake of trying to understand motives, everyone should assume there are facts, known or unknown, which may be a contributing factor. Let’s review a few.

Parents camped out behind a dugout or along the field fence may be construed as an organization thinking they have reserve seating for all games for the day. The fact is; they possibly ARE the next game and SCHEDULED to play back to back. Many parents don’t know the details of a schedule as they live from game to game. Many head coaches may be the only ones aware of this and they are busy getting the team ready. Mistakes also can happen. Both sides may feel the need to defend them or stand their ground if you will. We’ve seen the clubs that believe “first come-first serve” means they can hog the prime seating spot along the fence because their team is scheduled to play on the same diamond all day. We know etiquette dictates you move back for the next team to allow families of the kids playing to be able to watch the game, and then move out of the way for the next bunch afterwards. This stuff is not spelled out in the park rules but people should know these things. When there is a conflict, people should be able to work the situation out. A few things that would help is if a parent would step up to notify others of the schedule ahead of time so people know you have a game or 2 wait or need to change diamonds. A parent could also help if they are aware of any dugout assignments ahead of time. Many TD’s will assign the dugout and/or side of the field per game and some coaches ignore this fact till the end. I suggest a parent get a tourney copy of rules and assignments to share with the group.

As for the kids racing into a dugout, the kids are ready to play! Lol. We sometimes need to hold them back but to be honest I don’t believe most rush a dugout because they are trying to make a statement. The competitive juices are flowing and they want to be the first one in the dugout and the next thing you know they are stumbling over each other just inside the doorway with no place for either team to move. I’ve never seen a team go in to a dugout and start throwing the other team’s stuff out the door. I’m more forgiving to the players just because it’s so innocent in my eyes.

Just remember when a situation is presented to use some tact to try and solve the problem. The kids are watching as well as others----even a few upset enough that they are willing to post something on OFC. If you read the thread and it sounds familiar, perhaps you need to be to hone your people skills you use in public. We can all work on that one some---especially me.

Last; I’d like to address the issue of the coaches yelling and degrading players in a manner that some assume will motivate them to do better. The best coaches in the world will tell you that all the yelling and screaming does is support a negative result. Besides Candrea, Miller, Edwards, and a list too long to mention, they all will tell you to reason issues with a player or a team rather then vent your frustrations by yelling or name calling. I had a coach tell me once it was the only way to get their attention. My answer was he was getting their attention but not for the topic He wanted to discuss. When you yell at a girl you immediately will get a “look” come over her face but that in no way means they are paying attention. Most of the time, they couldn’t tell you afterwards what was said if it would save their life. That “look” is normally followed by6 the mind racing to figure out how many ways they could hurt you without getting thrown in jail as an adult. The thoughts will last as long as you are defaming them. Coaches need to work on the people skills needed to get their attention and correct the problems that gets everyone so upset. I recently was watching a segment of “Deadliest Catch” when they had a Navel Commander from a ship that is stationed in the Bearing Sea. When asked how many officers were on board his ship in relation to the number of enlisted men and how they bet there’s always a lot of yelling going on, the Commander mentioned they seldom ever raise their voices. He stated the men know their job and there is a mutual respect of the men and officers and this allows the ship to function smoothly with few issues. It was something he felt the Captains of the fishing fleet could learn a lesson from them. While the yelling and screaming made the show entertaining, they were all aware it was not the way for a ship to be totally productive. All of us could probably learn better ways to vent and should work on it---I included. What many coaches don’t understand is the need to respect the players enough to talk TO them instead of DOWN TO them to get a problem resolved. Some times we simply need to accept the facts that certain kids either won’t get it or need more time to work on issues that may hinder a team effort. Accepting the challenge to teach them is why we became coaches. Throwing a fit will simply prove that the coach wasn’t up to the challenge.

Oh, and to the players that just like to push my buttons; you don’t scare me!!!

We didn't see a lot of bad things at Compuware, but we did see one incident where a parent was verbally abusing his DD in LF for an entire inning after making an error in the field. As a coach you are taking that player out of the game for the team at that point, no matter how much I can talk them up and keep them focused something like that is counter productive.

Do have to say that in some of the games on other fields there was a lot yelling going on, but didn't hear anything over the top. I hung around in between games and talked to some parents of other teams and they had nothing but good things to say about the weekend.

I have seen more bad behavior this year from players, coaches, and parents. Don't know why it seems worse this year, but it does.

I don't approve of this type of behavior from anyone and I don't like it when others condone it either.

Well said Daboss. :)
With very few exceptions, we've had a really good year with opponents and coaches and met some really friendly parents this year. We've had some zingers in the past but haven't seen too many nutballs this year. I hope I didn't just jinx myself....

Not that I'm condoning it for travel ball at all, but what really aggravates me is when it's done during the high school season! Parents represent the schools just as much as the students. I was appalled at several schools that we played and one was a Catholic school. I went to Catholic school and that isn't how we were taught. Times sure have changed.

At the Division 3 state Championship, our school was well represented by the students. Knowing how students are, especially at basketball games, I mentioned to them that spectator etiquette for Girls softball is different than for baseball. They were a little taken back at first but we explained that they just need to cheer on their team. No picking on individual players from the other team. They got it and they were great. They had a great time and they represented their school well.

Even though DD's school lost that day, it was a memorable experience for all of the school kids that showed up to cheer their team on and for the girls playing knowing that they had a terrific support section.

Just remember when a situation is presented to use some tact to try and solve the problem. The kids are watching as well as others----even a few upset enough that they are willing to post something on OFC. If you read the thread and it sounds familiar, perhaps you need to be to hone your people skills you use in public. We can all work on that one some---especially me.

Last; I?d like to address the issue of the coaches yelling and degrading players in a manner that some assume will motivate them to do better. The best coaches in the world will tell you that all the yelling and screaming does is support a negative result. Besides Candrea, Miller, Edwards, and a list too long to mention, they all will tell you to reason issues with a player or a team rather then vent your frustrations by yelling or name calling. I had a coach tell me once it was the only way to get their attention. My answer was he was getting their attention but not for the topic He wanted to discuss. When you yell at a girl you immediately will get a ?look? come over her face but that in no way means they are paying attention. Most of the time, they couldn?t tell you afterwards what was said if it would save their life. That ?look? is normally followed by6 the mind racing to figure out how many ways they could hurt you without getting thrown in jail as an adult. The thoughts will last as long as you are defaming them. Coaches need to work on the people skills needed to get their attention and correct the problems that gets everyone so upset. I recently was watching a segment of ?Deadliest Catch? when they had a Navel Commander from a ship that is stationed in the Bearing Sea. When asked how many officers were on board his ship in relation to the number of enlisted men and how they bet there?s always a lot of yelling going on, the Commander mentioned they seldom ever raise their voices. He stated the men know their job and there is a mutual respect of the men and officers and this allows the ship to function smoothly with few issues. It was something he felt the Captains of the fishing fleet could learn a lesson from them. While the yelling and screaming made the show entertaining, they were all aware it was not the way for a ship to be totally productive. All of us could probably learn better ways to vent and should work on it---I included. What many coaches don?t understand is the need to respect the players enough to talk TO them instead of DOWN TO them to get a problem resolved. Some times we simply need to accept the facts that certain kids either won?t get it or need more time to work on issues that may hinder a team effort. Accepting the challenge to teach them is why we became coaches. Throwing a fit will simply prove that the coach wasn?t up to the challenge.

The last 5 years of my military career, I flew a Command & Control helicopter and during training and combat missions, I would have Commanders (Generals and/or Colonels) running the mission from the back of my helicopter. What I noticed the most was that when something went wrong, someone screwed up or something broke, those Commanders never once screamed at someone over the radio. They worked to correct the situation at hand first in a very professional manner and the corrective actions would be handled at the after-actions debrief. If someone screwed up, the associated butt chewing was handled behind closed doors and the person on the receiving end was well aware of what he/she was about to receive. It is all about mutual respect.

That was a trait that I immediately adopted and I use as a coach. There is absolutely no reason to launch-off on a kid playing a game. There is absolutely no reason for a parent to berate or pick-on any kid playing the game. This demonstrates a total lack of maturity. As a former site manager for a tournament, I would look for these type of incidents and "nip it in the bud." I do not expect an umpire to handle these types of situations, I expect the TD or a designated representative to handle them. This type of behavior effects how people perceive his/her tournament.

I honestly think the parent issues are getting worse...talked to several teams who are experiencing this on their team or seen it this summer from teams they have played- looking forward to moving up to 14u next year- hopefully that age group is a little more mellow

Should we tell him?:rolleyes:

Maybe TDs should have a parent time-out tent at their tournament? :D

How about warning cards like they have in ******? Only these are for the spectators!

(forgot that was a forbidden word... s___er)

Status
Not open for further replies.