Pitching and Pitchers Discussion Pitching Coach for New Pitcher

I have a 9yr Old DD, who is VERY interested in pitching. I want to find a good private coach in the Akron/Wooster/Massillon Area. Any Tips?

Mark Hamilton works out of the Spano-Dome in Akron(Springfeild)

I would 2nd the Bill Hillhouse, My Daughter went to him for 5 years or so and He is Great!

I Concur...get her with Bill early, so there will be fewer bad habits to break later!!

I'd recommend either Glenn McCoy at Pinnacle, or Kasey Reis at Pronio's.

Mary Thompson-Massillon/Canal Fulton
Carla Brookbank-Akron
Alanna Comfort-Akron (soon)

I wouldn't work with Bill Hillhouse.........unless you want to be very good. He is very good with both beginning pitchers and experienced pitchers. He might be a little more than some other instructors but he is well worth it.

Jim, If you don't mind paying a little more.......Bill will be well worth it. He will focus on fundamentals in the beginning (as he does with all pitchers), making sure everything goes towards the catcher. Dads tend to over think things especially when our pitchers are young. Bill will put this all into perspective and concentrate on basic fundamentals with your DD. He will build on this as your DD grows and teach her accordingly. I think it would be a good experience for your DD.

Agreed with BamBam. It's not a knock on any other pitching coach but we are talking about a guy (Hillhouse) who has pitched on the national team here. A guy who's pitched all over the world. And he started off the same way your 9 year old has because all he's done is played softball (no baseball). He says all the time that he's gone through everything that every young pitcher is going through first hand. And what he does now is what has taken him to where he is in the game and the career he's had. That makes it very hard to refute. We sometimes (as parents) look at a D1 pitcher as though they are the top of the heap. But in reality there are multiple levels beyond that and only a select few make it there. But to learn from someone who has is a HUGE advantage. However, more than that, when you see how Bill interacts with your daughter you will like him even more. He will make her laugh and learn together and she will ENJOY practice.

There are some who I have talked with who have philisophical differences with Bill. That is for everyone to decide on their own. Given that, I would second the suggestions of Brownsfan and Klump, (Glenn McCoy, Alanna Comfort) based on personal experiences and talking with others whose opinions I respect.

with all due respect philbob, that's my point. What are the credentials and experience of these people who have the "differences?" Please don't say it's "being around the game for 20 years". Because when you compare that to someone who's pitched internationally for 20 years, it can become a silly argument. It's like hitting instructors who's best advise is, "Lay off the riseball". Yea, ok. Yet, most of these instructors who tell you that are men who've never played a game of fastpitch in their life, they have no clue what it's like in the batters box, and yet that's the advice. or would you rather take hitting cues from someone like Bustos who's been there, done that and can tell you from experience how to hit the riseball? Teaching someone hitting or pitching based on theory is great. Teaching them works in reality is another thing.

I wouldn't work with Bill Hillhouse.........unless you want to be very good. He is very good with both beginning pitchers and experienced pitchers. He might be a little more than some other instructors but he is well worth it.

Jim, If you don't mind paying a little more.......Bill will be well worth it. He will focus on fundamentals in the beginning (as he does with all pitchers), making sure everything goes towards the catcher. Dads tend to over think things especially when our pitchers are young. Bill will put this all into perspective and concentrate on basic fundamentals with your DD. He will build on this as your DD grows and teach her accordingly. I think it would be a good experience for your DD.

I also would not want my DD working with her pitching coach unless she wanted to be very good, there are other very good pitching coaches around besides Bill. Does Bill use video in his lessons?

If you are willing to drive about an hour, you might want to consider Dave Leffew. DD used to go to Radara McHugh and Coach Dave teaches very similar to Radara's methods (use the legs).

DD started with Coach Dave three months ago and everything has increased. From her enthusiasm, to her speed, to her location. Coach Dave stresses fundamentals and "thinking". We are extremely pleased with her development.

He has been the pitching coach at Ashland University for the last several years. His daughter, Amy, is also another excellent resource for a pitching coach.

You can reach him at: pitching@apk.net.

with all due respect philbob, that's my point. What are the credentials and experience of these people who have the "differences?" Please don't say it's "being around the game for 20 years". Because when you compare that to someone who's pitched internationally for 20 years, it can become a silly argument. It's like hitting instructors who's best advise is, "Lay off the riseball". Yea, ok. Yet, most of these instructors who tell you that are men who've never played a game of fastpitch in their life, they have no clue what it's like in the batters box, and yet that's the advice. or would you rather take hitting cues from someone like Bustos who's been there, done that and can tell you from experience how to hit the riseball? Teaching someone hitting or pitching based on theory is great. Teaching them works in reality is another thing.

With all due respect softballisheaven, not everyone agrees with the Hillhouse style of pitching. The instructors my dd sees have all played the game of fastpitch for over 20 years each also. They have all been VERY successful themselves and have produced several successful pitchers as well. Hillhouse is a great pitcher, but his style is not for everyone. There are MANY other great pitching coaches, just because they aren't Bill Hillhouse doesn't mean they are blathering idiots.

Klump, nobody said others are "blathering idiots". Nor was it implied. It just goes to show that you cannot give props to someone without someone else turning around and thinking its an insult to others. But based on what you said in your reply, you've never heard or seen Bill's presentation. He doesn't teach his "style" of pitching. The focus is put on the positions that pitchers MUST be in. There is a big difference between that and teaching someone a pitching "style". You're right, not everyone agrees. Yet everyone wants to be like Cat Osterman, Finch, Abbott, Ueno, etc. And all of these pitchers use the postions that pitchers MUST get into. And when you know the difference and know what youre looking for, you'll see there are major differences between what the best pitchers in the world do vs. the rest of the pack.