Players

Maachil

Reaction score
What is the protocol for ask players on other teams to join your team?

jpkeating

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it, unless you don't care who you piss off.

OhPhat

Reaction score
There is no protocol because you just don't do it.

Maachil

Reaction score
Not in me asking. Two of our players were asked to play fall ball with another team by players from the other team.

lewam3

Reaction score
Not in me asking. Two of our players were asked to play fall ball with another team by players from the other team.

There is no protocol. You just do it, whether its email, text or phone call, after games, between innings. You can do it in full show in front of the team or in private, such as in line getting a walking taco. You can do it when you need players, or when you really don't, and you are just trying to improve your roster for the future. You can do it with a smile, a frown, booming voice or under your breath. You can do it, your players can be sent to do it, your assistant coach can do it. You can ask the player, her parents, other teammates, maybe even her dog, just don't let her coach find out.
Is this right? is this wrong? hard to make a judgement on this because its travel softball, a dog-eat-dog world. Once that ASA lineup is done, it's done...
I have seen coaches who claim to have high morals break "the code" when that 62 mph riseballer is free one weekend, and I have seen some of the snake oil coaches tell an All Stater that his roster is full, sorry. So, Maachil, a few questions... is your team playing fall ball? are you willing to replace these players with new girls if they do "sub" for this other team? do the players/parents know that this can happen? Welcome to the world of travel SB.

Creek01

Reaction score
My guy Bink has girls committed to Ohio St (2), Penn St, BGSU (2), Radford, Youngstown St. I don't know why anyone would take their dd there.... Lee thanks for hosting a great event last week

Kyle

Wishuwereme

Reaction score
My guy Bink has girls committed to Ohio St (2), Penn St, BGSU (2), Radford, Youngstown St. I don't know why anyone would take their dd there.... Lee thanks for hosting a great event last week

Kyle

The question was basically how do you chicken hawk players from another team. My response was valid, Ask Bink. I don't recall anyone asking for Lee's resume and I definitely didn't see anyone ask you to publicly pucker and plant. Have some respect for yourself.

Rotte

Reaction score
I have a question for Bink.

Is the [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Mullet making a come back, and are you leading the charge?

[/COLOR]
:rolleyes:

Bink44

Reaction score
Wishuwereme, first off why dont you step up and tell us who you are???

Second off, I seldom, if ever have talked to a player or parents until after Nationals. Yes a 1 week window.

Noted exceptions...

13U...2 Ohio Storm Players/Coaches about merging. Didn't happen.

13U...2 Hawks players/coaches...did happen.

14U...an assistant coach reached out to a close personal friend of his 2 weeks after tryouts to see if they were interested.. they called me.

16U...reached out to HS Coach after Nationals to see if 2 of his players were staying down at 16U.

Here is my current roster...

MB...7 years...met at tryouts.
HN...7 years...met at tryouts
TC...6 years...they reached out to me for a personal tryout in the winter.
RS...5 years...met at tryouts.
RW...4 years...met at tryouts
IS...3 years...met at tryouts.
ZD...3 years...met at tryouts.
HV...3 years...contacted me 2 weeks aftwr tryouts.
AS...2 years...subbed for us the previous 2 years, then committed 2 years ago.
LS...2 years...met at tryouts.
BC...2 years...met at tryouts.
TG...1st year...met at tryouts.
ED...1st year...met at tryouts.

Every player that is on our current roster either contacted me or had there parents contact me. Hell I even had 2 stud players contact me in consecutive weeks recently, but we just don't have the spots available.

Last edited:

Creek01

Reaction score
All I can think about now is Foghorn Leghorn & Joe Dirt....

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score

A couple questions based on your post.
1) where the players in question asked to play with the other team just for fall ball or become permanent members of that team?
2) If it is just for fall is their current team doing anything in the fall?

Run26

Reaction score
If BINK called me about playing ball; I'd open the door completely off the hinges. Dude knows his stuff and has seen more elite players in the last 10 years than most of us do in an entire lifetime.

You can always say no.

Last edited:

Wishuwereme

Reaction score
Wishuwereme, first off why dont you step up and tell us who you are???

Second off, I seldom, if ever have talked to a player or parents until after Nationals. Yes a 1 week window.

Noted exceptions...

13U...2 Ohio Storm Players/Coaches about merging. Didn't happen.

13U...2 Hawks players/coaches...did happen.

14U...an assistant coach reached out to a close personal friend of his 2 weeks after tryouts to see if they were interested.. they called me.

16U...reached out to HS Coach after Nationals to see if 2 of his players were staying down at 16U.

Here is my current roster...

MB...7 years...met at tryouts.
HN...7 years...met at tryouts
TC...6 years...they reached out to me for a personal tryout in the winter.
RS...5 years...met at tryouts.
RW...4 years...met at tryouts
IS...3 years...met at tryouts.
ZD...3 years...met at tryouts.
HV...3 years...contacted me 2 weeks aftwr tryouts.
AS...2 years...subbed for us the previous 2 years, then committed 2 years ago.
LS...2 years...met at tryouts.
BC...2 years...met at tryouts.
TG...1st year...met at tryouts.
ED...1st year...met at tryouts.

Every player that is on our current roster either contacted me or had there parents contact me. Hell I even had 2 stud players contact me in consecutive weeks recently, but we just don't have the spots available.

My identity is irrelevant. I don't coach, and I don't have any players that would peak your interest. If you must have a name you can call me Wilson.

I would love to hear what other coaches/victims would have to say about your delusional post and how girls just happen to come to you and your team.

How many girls have you actually developed, and how many already had the skills.

Be careful with your answers. I generally know the answers to the questions before I ask them.

snoman76

Reaction score
Wow.. .This is gonna be the best thread EVER! No offense Billy07 but I think this is going to blow yours away...

Last edited:

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
;);););) It might be worth it to watch this before it is removed...no one questions the GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!!! Lol

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com

Since your are saying join and not sub you are looking to cherry pick? This goes on and is done by teams at all levels and IMO its wrong. If a player approaches you, contact their current coach sometimes it works but do not try to recruit other players.

At 16U we had a player that left for a respected Columbus area team after the season. No problem done right...However; During the next summer at B.O.B the coach had her parents contact our pitchers parents at our hotel to see if one or both wanted to finish the year with them. Both parents told her no way and then told me. I immediately I called out the parent in question because they were at our hotel then the HC coach at the park the next morning after we beat them.

This is a common issue anymore where coaches cannot develop talent or draw talent to tryouts so they fall back on the scouting and looking for gullible players/parents that fall for the racket. Most have a revolving door of players, play lower events but promise the world. The sad part is its not only teams but players/parents seem to be more into playing games with teams than committing for the year.

Bink44

Reaction score
Hey Rich, yeah I've been growing the hair out...no mullet but definitely retro 80's style...lol :)