Pulling a pitcher in the middle of the first inning

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would there be a reason to pull a pitcher in the middle of the first inning beside a injury?

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Absolutely. If she’s missing spots and walks a few. Walks are crucial. A walk is worse than a hit in my opinion. A hit we at least have a chance of throwing her out. A walk is free and nothing should be free.

daboss

Reaction score
I have done it. Being tactful when doing it will help take the sting out of it. Whenever possible I would reinstate her back to the circle or have her pitch later the same day. My goal is never to deflate her but to save her. She needs to know this and believe it.

"It's a team effort and at the moment your teammates may be able to help. Let's give lil Debbie a try and give you a chance to calm down. We'll work on your mechanics between innings or after the game and get you back on track. Ladies, we need you to get focused and step up to get us out of the inning. Keep your heads in the game and let's help your pitchers get thru this till we can swing things back in our favor."

Leadership with finesse can help take the sting out of a rough beginning.

Justamom

Reaction score
I wish more coaches would. Sometimes the other team likes whatever style that pitcher has and it's not always that the pitcher is necessarily doing something wrong. A pitcher should be able to recognize when it's not their game to pitch.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
it happens. hit 1st batter..... walks 2nd.... hits 3rd batter..... 4th hits a bomb. 5th hits a line drive shot.... time to go off balance with a different pitcher to change things up. need thick skin to be a pitcher.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
We have seen this many times this year with our staff. There needs to be a change to slow momentum. In softball the game can quickly slide out of reach. Our team has a luxury of 5 pitchers 3 lefties. 4 throw in the mid 50's. All have unique and different mechanics and they all work at a different pace. Sometimes I believe having 5 pitchers makes it to easy for a coach to pull the string. Although thus far I have agreed with our coaches decisions 98% of the time when making the change. I can say 90% of the time the new pitcher ends the onslaught and take the wind out of the sails.

brownsfan

Reaction score
Depends on the age group. I know as a coach both in MS and thanks to OHSAA removing the contact rules helping a young 14U team; the same question was asked. The pitcher walked the first four batters than gave a long ball. Then walked the next three. The HC asked me should he pull her. I responded, you making it easy on her; see if she can deal with adversity. After going down 7-0 after the first inning, I told her after the inning what she was doing wrong and had this been a middle school game; the next two walks you are done and you’d have to wait for your next opportunity. Didn’t allow a hit or a walk for the next 4 innings and we came back in won 18-7.

yes it’s rec ball, and young ladies learn to play again. Same mindset for pool play at younger ages, especially if a pitcher just came from rec leagues. Bracket games, different story. At advanced 14 and above, 3 walks in an inning? Gets a another chance but if another walk happens......pulled