Catching and Catchers discussion side arm

Ok. I"m 15. I wasn't selected on my highschool Varsity team just for the plain reason that I throw side arm. I'm a better catcher with a stronger arm than the catcher on Varsity, but the coach said, "Play my way or play down". So I ended up on JV. Which, really doesn't bother me because travel is what matters most to me. My JV coach, though, screwed my throw up. I needed the exercise and the playing time there so I'd be fresh when travel started back up. He had me throw straight over, and to put it bluntly, I sucked. I cost my highschool team a lot of games because of that. I talked to one of my friends on my travel team and she told me to just throw like I always do. Many coaches don't understand that throwing straight over really, REALLY hurts my shoulder, whereas throwing side arm is completely painless. I understand the "risks" that may come later in life, but it doesn't hurt now. You can get hurt or be hurt later by anything you do, so what's the big deal with throwing side arm? My travel coach allows it because I get the ball there and get the girl stealing 2nd out by five or so steps. I appreciate my coaches' decisions with me throwing side arm, but when I hear other people say "Oh, you should really stop that," it really makes me mad. If it works for you and it doesn't hurt at all compared to throwing "normal" that hurts like heck, then what's the problem?

ALL of the U.S. Olympic team infielders throw sidearm
NO catchers ANYWHERE are taught to throw sidearm -- there's a good reason why -- deviation of straight line on ball flight

yes. ?I understand that factor. ?I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. ?I'm sure you're completely right, but not everyone throws the same. ?My throws are there with a slight down spin on it, but it's right at the base right in the sliding area. ?It works for me and it's pain free. ?I could understand if it killed your arm or if you're throws were completely off, but it's neither for me. ?I just hate being compared to the "normal". ?There isn't just one thing that works for every single person out there. ?I'm just wondering why, if it works and it doesn't hurt, people continue to insist that I change it. ?And when I try to get my opinion in and/or don't change, they say "I'm refusing to be coached". ?I know I'm a bit stubborn lol, but some things just get to me.

Don't worry bout it im only, well ijust turned 14, and i have thrown my arm numerous times because of my side arm throw. You really do need to stop though cuz its a killer to your arm and dont worry bout your school coach. What travel team do you play for? I play for the Rebels!

Not everyone is going to throw the same way... its a lot like hitting, the same swing is not going to work for all the batters.. i think whatever is most comfortable and does not cost your team anything do what you want

Mitt, If you've throw the same way for a long time it is going to hurt if you switch from sidearm to overhand but I would bet if you continue playing into college your college coach will have you spend your freshmen year learning how to throw overhand. I was told by an assistant OSU coach that is what they do. Throwing sidearm, to me is usually done by girls who are talented enough to get by early in their career with bad habits but sooner or later most all we have to do it right mechanically to get the most out of their arm. As far as infields throwing sidearm they do and they don't. They stay low but still get their hand over the ball rather that under. To see what I mean watch Kabota's tapes on throwing.