Catching and Catchers discussion Try-outs for Pitchers and Catchers

Why do they have the pitchers and catchers at the end of the try-out. ?Do they not want to see them fresh. ?Most of these girls are giving 150% for 2-3 hours and then they want them to throw and catch and be sharp. ?In a game situation most teams that have 3 pitchers start a fresh pitcher every game not after they had just pitched 7 innings.
Just interested in why everybody does it that way instead of 1/2 hour before reg. tryouts.

I would certainly be better to see them fresh. I would bet that for most it is a time constraint. How many pitchers are going to show-up and how much time do you allow? If you only plan for 1/2 hour and it takes 1 hour, other players are standing around waiting while parents are grumbling about poor organization. What do you do with the pitcher that shows up just at the start of regular tryouts? Do you make her wait? Not let her tryout? She just might be the next Katie Chain that could put your team over the top.

Yeah, but what"s the difference if they need to play 3 or more games in a day anyway. Youre also looking at stamina, so they should be able to do that. That's why you bring water and rags just like a tourney. I understand pitchers also need time to warm up some, but they do allow that as well.

Well... try going to Lasers try outs the girls each got 5 pitches 1 pitch for each pitch you throw, or you got 4 fast balls and a change up at 10u

After a long practice is going to show a Coach alot of information. Does the pitcher have stamina is just the first bit of info. Does her mechanics break down after she has been working out ? Movement is not about power with most pitches it is the snap that counts. In all my days, I have never heard a pitcher tell me their wrist was tire.

Yes, fresh is good, but tire can tell you alot about a pitcher. And the big question: Can they dig deep and delivery? Even if they are tire, can they still put those mechanics together and deliver. Only the younger ages are you going to rely on speed to win the day...... and power is not the key ingredient to the junk pitches.

I like seeing the pitchers at the end of a workout. Easy to come on and look good early in the day, but it tends to be more important later in the day in most tournaments. Something to learn after she has had a good workout, JMHO

any athlete will be more "relaxed" after working with the coaches and getting the jitters out. the get a chance to see how the coaches work and may motivate them more or motivate them less...