Tryout Fees - is this normal?

As the tryout season draws near, I have heard of some organizations implementing a "tryout fee." Is this realistic, and what does anyone feel that those fees actually go towards? What should that fee amount to? Both large and small organizations/teams have indicated these will be in place, but I have not visually seen them posted yet. What about "new" teams......should that be expected from a start up team? Is this the norm for older teams/organizations, who have a defined track record? Some parents feel that their kids need to be "courted" to come to tryouts (tell me why I should play for you attitude), and the other spectrum is that parents feel that by paying a fee, this gives a sort of "entitlement" to consideration of an invitation to play. Should those organizations offer a credit, if the player makes the team? Just haven't seen this kind of thing.........please advise, and thanks!

Do not pay for your kid to try out for anything. This is a stupid idea and if no one participates it will be over with before it starts.

I have heard of some extremely high level baseball team's that charge for this.The coaches feel it will only draw player's that are qualified to be on the team and do not have the time to look at every kid in the state. Heard of fee's as high as $2500.

When a team that charges money like that has a tryout and no one shows up they will decide that looking at every kid in the state maybe isn't so bad and they will stop charging for tryouts.

I have never paid any fees for a tryout and I do not plan on ever doing so. There are plenty of places to play out there. No need to pay some fee. They can make all of the excuses they want for charging a fee but at the end of the day they are all B***S***!

and there was this one about the tooth fairy and then the easter bunny and then the corona angels charged 1000.00 non refundable , then the Ohio teams started doing it .

Here is the idea behind it. This was something that was happening out west with elite teams. Some girls would show up for tryouts. The coaches were impressed. They call the home and say, GRATZ! We would love to have you on the team. Then you get this reply: Thanks but no thanks....My parents and I just wanted to see what kind of talent would show up and to get a feel for the coaches. They would also use the offer as a bargaining chip. You go to the team you want and say..well, suzy has offers already from blah blah blah so if you want her, please act fast. This happened many times. So, how do you stop that? Ok, you want to waist our time, it's gonna cost you 25-50 bucks or maybe more.

Here is the idea behind it. This was something that was happening out west with elite teams. Some girls would show up for tryouts. The coaches were impressed. They call the home and say, GRATZ! We would love to have you on the team. Then you get this reply: Thanks but no thanks....My parents and I just wanted to see what kind of talent would show up and to get a feel for the coaches. They would also use the offer as a bargaining chip. You go to the team you want and say..well, suzy has offers already from blah blah blah so if you want her, please act fast. This happened many times. So, how do you stop that? Ok, you want to waist our time, it's gonna cost you 25-50 bucks or maybe more.

Kids and their families turning down offers for any number of reasons is part of it. If you don't want to get shot down a time or two you're better off just not having a tryout. You won't have a team then, but at least a 12 year old kid won't tell you "no", right?

It's not happening out here... Elite teams here rarely publicize their tryouts and many prescreen the girls beforehand. They're familiar with most of the players capable of playing on their team and they get word out to them. Our coach required a profile from other interested players and he prescreened them - either responding with tryout details or a no thanks.

Using offers to leverage a better deal is a different topic. Player fees are negotiable for the top players that can make an impact on an elite team.

Exactly SoCal....that's why I put OUT WEST. I guess short game didn't see that part.

I don't think the idea of a reasonable tryout fee is ridiculous. My son plays hockey and we've always paid a fee for try outs. Generally, this helps to cover the cost of ice and provide the club with a small fundraiser. IF you were faced with a tryout fee then I'm guessing you would have done your homework and were serious about wanting to join the team. Not just showing up to see who's there and get in a little extra workout. Most coaches are strictly volunteer and put countless hours into the team choosing process. Perhaps a tryout fee would make this process a little clearer.

Will someone please let me know where the tryouts that people pay for are? I'll show up and charge a parking fee, a breathing fee, a sitting in the chair you brought with you fee, and of course a standing on the grass fee.

hey people thought NOBODY will pay for water.......lol How much $$$$$ is brought in on bottled water?!

And bacteria became a problem when a guy who wanted to sell some soap decided it was a problem. There's an idiot born every couple of seconds.

If no one bought it it wouldn't be here, not unlike teams that charge you for tryouts.

gottawannit ... forgive me but I am skeptical of your original post ... I know the subject has come up here in previous years, but I haven't heard of any Ohio teams doing it, let alone multiple ones. Perhaps you are with an organization considering it and just floating the concept out there to see the response??

Here you go short game: Here are 2 programs that charge a "registration" fee to tryout. One is only 5 bucks...not sure of the other. Feel free to email them and tell them they are idiots. ;) Soderville Traveling Fastpitch | Soderville/Blaine Athletic AssociationFastpitch FAQs | koa-sports They aren't in Ohio but one is east coast.

I never mentioned the people charging the fees except for when I said without the idiots who will pay the fees they wouldn't have a team. They're just doing what they can to squeeze a nickel out of anyone they can. Your weakness is money in their bank.

Got an email list of people who have and/or who are going to pay for a tryout? I'd be happy to tell them how stupid they are.