What college coaches want....

Seems to be the answer or reason for everything on this board. Calling pitches, wearing defensive masks or attitude.

If your DD wants to play college here is my suggestion: 1) Have her work on her hitting, want to assure your recruited learn to MASH 2) Get good grades, that way colleges can land your kid for as little softball money as possible 3) Market herself to colleges (Which covers a lot, from camps to emails to playing on teams that play in tournaments they attend) 4) Avoid red Flags...Not playing high school, sulking on the field etc.

Forget all the pheriphal stuff coaches say in passing. Concentrate on those 4 things and your DD will get recruited. *Provided she's talented enough to play college ball* Your trying to appeal to the masses not an individual coaches quirks or preferences.

Just IMO based on what I've seen the past 6 years of being a parent involved in the process to just watching what kids are going to what schools.

I would add a 5th: Make her education more important in her choice of schools. The plan should be what does she want to do after college and then can softball help her get there.

Musty that's a good point and one I'd add to playing college ball, my 4 are on being recruited only.

Totally agree with the above. Learn and become great at these three things - hitting, hitting, hitting.

......and also remember that coaches look closely at your twitter and facebook accounts. It is becoming common place that the assistants incharge of recruiting rely on social media more and more to see what type of kid is on their radar screens.

Musty that's a good point and one I'd add to playing college ball, my 4 are on being recruited only.

Really it's part of your number 3. Recruiting is only what you the player do, your marketing and the primary concern when you go recruiting (who you contact) should be your education and career. Don't go recruiting colleges that don't fit into your education goals.

The coaches need to know who you are. Contact as many as possible. You can make your school choice after you receive offers. You never know when a school that you never even really thought about blows you away with their school and offer. Market yourself!

Going through the process of recruiting with the girls on my travel team the most important thing any girl who wants to play softball in college would be to make sure you have excellent grades and to score well on your ACT or SAT. My daughter was offered way more money for academics than athletics and if your DD receives good grades and scores that will usually be the case since like Uber stated the softball programs will not have to spend more money out of their budgets to acquire your DD. From conversations with a lot of people who had their daughters recruited to play college ball the same held true. You usually receive offers totaling only ? the tuition cost although I am not sure if that is true for a player who is recruited to play @ a Dl school. However I do know some players who are Dl recruits and they only received ? the tuition too. Most of your Dll, Dlll and NAIA schools have tuition rates well above $25,000 per year with a huge number above $35,000. If your daughter has a desire to play softball in college my advice would be to focus heavily on her academics. Parents should weigh what they will be spending during the journey toward that goal. Figure out what you may be spending per year for all your expenses relating to softball. (You may find in 4 + years of travel ball you could have paid 1 + years of tuition especially @ a state college.) Then pay attention to all the good advice in the recent threads regarding what college coaches are looking for and how to get noticed.

2) Get good grades, that way colleges can land your kid for as little softball money as possible.

If ANY softball money is added to the academic scholarships, doesn't it ALL then come from the softball budget? That is what we were told by DD's DII college coach. Or is it just certain schools that do that?

Speed! The coaches we have met and talked to love speed now. We were told to showcase that also. Several and I do mean several scouts,coaches,instructors have told us that.
Also the college coaches told us unless your daughter is a pitcher and or catcher, they are not so much keying on individual positions as much as in the past. They are looking for that young lady whom can play more than one position.

If ANY softball money is added to the academic scholarships, doesn't it ALL then come from the softball budget? That is what we were told by DD's DII college coach. Or is it just certain schools that do that?

I would assume that all teams are the same at their level (D1, D2, or NAIA). One instance I know of at D1 level the academic money is applied first and then the softball budget pays the remainder.

That is what makes the grades so important to coaches and players at any level.

Great grades will get you big money at any level! :yahoo:

This is correct with Division 2 in Ohio. It might be with only a few but the ones we have delt with and the other D2's around Ohio that my DD's friends are going to are this way. Probably 50 to 75 percent of kids playing D2 in ohio are on academic schollarships only. I don't think all D2's are fully funded with the 7.2 schollarships.

At my D2, which is a private school in Michigan, academic and athletic money are separate. It's much harder to get good academic money, though, than it is at almost any other school. At the same time, we are only around $31,000 per year for everything, whereas many extremely selective private schools are $40-50k.

If a girl with a 4.0 GPA and 33 ACT gets 50% tuition, if I add another 25% tuition, and she gets 15% tuition in grants or outside scholarships, then she is paying 10% tuition, plus room and board. With tuition at about $21,000 at my school, that would eat up $5,250 of my budget. I'm not sure how other coaches keep track of things, but rather than thinking about the number of scholarships we have (7.2 max for a D2, which some have and many don't), I only use the total amount of money we have to work with.