What will turn off a college coach about a player?

Besides the obvious can't hit, can't catch, can't throw, can't run - what will prevent a college coach from recruiting a player?

I have heard college coaches won't recruit an infielder who wears as mask - other than a pitcher. Is this true?

Will a college coach recruit a catcher who doesn't call her own game? If she calls her own game is it view as a plus, minus, neutral?

Something to be learned from everyone...

A coach seeing mom and dad carry her bat bag, or mom and dad trying the old **** butt routine while he or she is trying to watch a game, The infielder,s mask will become more common in college as it goes along.

Parents that gripe and moan about coaches,players or umpires. I am sure a coach never signs a kid because of the parent but would bet money that they pass on some because of the parents.(I have had the conversation with a few coaches about this topic.

A few:
1-Players disengaged from the game on the bench IE texting, daydreaming
2-Players who throw their bat, glove or helmet
3-Taking signs from dad in the stands
4-Girls not respecting parents
5-Coaches we talked with did like catchers who call their games

sidenote: not one asked how many wins did the teams have or 1st place finishes...

Skills can be taught, personality traits are hard to break...

I heard a interesting one when at the Queen of Diamonds and that was girls who where team jumpers. The coaches where talking and said that was cause for concern, because there has to be something to it.

I heard coaches say this before, but to hear them say it to one another was concrete evidence of it.

As Mike mentioned, playing ability is obvious, and for some of us, grades are also an obvious one.

Beyond that, for me it would be overall attitude, which includes coachability, desire, personality, self-discipline, etc. Another huge one is a lack of a sense of entitlement. With today's youth generation, that is probably the biggest one for me.

Those can be hard to tell just by watching a game or two, so the visit helps out quite a bit. I backed off of two of the top pitchers who visited us because I didn't like their demeanor and actions when they were here. This turned the #3 pitcher talent-wise into our #1 for recruiting purposes, as she is an A+ in those categories I listed above.

With team jumpers, I do look at that, but almost everyone out here in Washington is a team jumper. Far more so than Ohio. If a girl has been on the same team for more than 2 years, she gets a bit of a boost in my book.

I found the "team-jumping" observation interesting.

Of course there are always good reasons to change teams, but there is a segment of the travel population that is always looking for the "next" team that can provide them with something more to further their status and opportunities.

My opinion is that those players (or their parent, whoever is driving that behavior) would say that they are simply looking out for their best interests. That is true.

But doesn't the team mean something too?

Travel ball is not a marriage, but it is a relationship, and if players enter into casual relationships without a commitment to improve both themselves and the teams, then Joe's comments around giving extra points to a player who has played more than one year for a team make sense.

Coaches want team players, don't they?

Girls who are worried about their stats and just talk me, me, me.......

DD's college coach, looks a skills, but makes Grades, Coachability, and Character priorities...he has passed on players with mediocre to poor grades, and those with players obvious attitude problems that are visible from how they play game, responding to team mates and coaches, if they disrespect parents and also if the parents are "helicoper parents" or are just general problem parents of the team....he expects the players to be able to speak for themselves and express their own goals and passion for the game....And to be perfectly honest it is a good system because I have seen alot less drama on her college team then there was on the last 2 "elite" travel teams she has played on even thought they were very successful teams...Her college team is pretty successful too.... DD and her teammates truly do like and care for each other and I see them being friends for life...Very good chemistry so far...He also pays attention to feedback from his players when they are showing potential recruits around campus or evaluating them in the camps they give...especially if the athlete has expressed a desire to attend the school and be on the team... He has key players assigned @ the team camps to do nothing but evaluate potential recruits....

I just got a good idea from the last sentence of the post just above. We have a clinic this weekend that will include 4-5 potential recruits and I've just found a good job for a couple of our key players.

I use to say team jumpers, but with so many teams folding and organizations dumping entire teams and or coaching staffs, it's no longer an issue now. Talked and watched college coaches scouting. Many good points such as Attitide, coachability. Two examples, a girl comes into the bench area throws down helment and temper fit. Coach puts a big X thru her profile and goes to the next player. He tells me he also watches what they do before and after the game. Does she help with the equipment? Does she hustle on and off the field. How does she react with other players on the bench?
You want to burn your kid, go take care of her in front of a college coach, because she can't find something or yells for a water bottle. You won't be there to take care of her in college!

As Mike mentioned, playing ability is obvious, and for some of us, grades are also an obvious one.

Beyond that, for me it would be overall attitude, which includes coachability, desire, personality, self-discipline, etc. Another huge one is a lack of a sense of entitlement. With today's youth generation, that is probably the biggest one for me.

Those can be hard to tell just by watching a game or two, so the visit helps out quite a bit. I backed off of two of the top pitchers who visited us because I didn't like their demeanor and actions when they were here. This turned the #3 pitcher talent-wise into our #1 for recruiting purposes, as she is an A+ in those categories I listed above.

With team jumpers, I do look at that, but almost everyone out here in Washington is a team jumper. Far more so than Ohio. If a girl has been on the same team for more than 2 years, she gets a bit of a boost in my book.

Joe, would you have recruited My kid? ;)

I found the "team-jumping" observation interesting.

Of course there are always good reasons to change teams, but there is a segment of the travel population that is always looking for the "next" team that can provide them with something more to further their status and opportunities.

My opinion is that those players (or their parent, whoever is driving that behavior) would say that they are simply looking out for their best interests. That is true.

But doesn't the team mean something too?

Travel ball is not a marriage, but it is a relationship, and if players enter into casual relationships without a commitment to improve both themselves and the teams, then Joe's comments around giving extra points to a player who has played more than one year for a team make sense.

Coaches want team players, don't they?
I think it depends on why a kid changes teams.
DD changed high schools(during her freshman year) the last year a kid could do that. A better fit for her all around. Better players (some from her summer team) better coach and better school reputation and more exposure.
She also changed from the Columbus Crush to the Lasers, for obvious reasons. More and better tournaments, better exposure, better players. Now if a player just jumps ships a couple times because she just doesnt "like" the teammates then that could be a red flag.

I knew the majority of this stuff but there are a few that I have overlooked. I don't know how much of a chance my DD has playing softball in college, but you can bet she will be taking these tips to heart. Thanks for sharing

Another thing, coaches like to get calls from the girls they are recruiting(it gives them a chance to get to know them a little). Not sure the same can be said about getting calls from the parents.

This is a great thread with lots of great (and from my experiences accurate) information. I hope every parent of a potential college player and every potential college player reads it and takes notes.