Which one are you?

After seeing some interesting "discussions" between parents, coaches and players during the last few tournaments, I thought I would repost this "10 Things List". As we enter a fun and nerve-racking time of year it is always good to keep these type of things in the forefront of our minds.

10 Things Kids Say They Don't Want Their Parents to Do

1-Don't yell out instructions.
During the game I'm trying to concentrate on what the coach says and working on what I've been practicing. It's easier for me to do my best if you save instructions and reminders for practice or just before the game.

2-Don't put down the umpires.
This embarrasses me and I sometimes wonder whether the umpire is going to be tougher on us because my parents yell.

3-Don't yell at me in public.
It will just make things worse because I'll be upset, embarrassed, or worried that you're going to yell at me the next time I do something "wrong."

4-Don't yell at the coach.
When you yell about who gets to play what position, or what they did wrong, it just stirs things up and takes away from the fun.

5-Don't put down my teammates.
Don't make put-down remarks about any of my teammates who make mistakes. It takes away from our team spirit.

6-Don't put down the other team.
When you do this you're not showing us a very good example of sportsmanship so we get mixed messages about being "good sports."

7-Don't lose your cool.
I love to see you excited about the game, but there's no reason to get so upset that you lose your temper! It's our game and all the attention is supposed to be on us.

8-Don't lecture me about mistakes after the game.
Those rides home in the car after the game are not a good time for lectures about how I messed up -- I already feel bad. We can talk later, but please stay calm, and don't forget to mention things I did well during the game!

9-Don't forget how to laugh and have fun.
Sometimes it's hard for me to relax and have fun during the game when I look over and see you so tense and worried.

10-Don't forget that it's just a game!
Odds are, I'm not going to make a career out of playing softball. I know I may get upset if we lose, but I also know that I?m usually feeling better after we go get a pizza. I need to be reminded sometimes that it?s just a game.

Good reminders! I think that no matter how hard we as parents "try to be good" we all break at least one of the above reminders. I wish more parents would read this.

Thanks for the reminder OhioRays.

You should put together one of these great lists about coaches who take the game way beyond the norm and who put other players down in public.

We had a situation last weekend where one of our players was being made fun of by the coaching staff in front of her and the 3rd base coach and theirr team dugout. If they read this thread and I know they know who they are I feel you owe her an apology. Oh, I am very sorry you had to put up with her for the last 5yrs, even though she had the most rbi's, homeruns, hits, etc. And I would also expect you to stop trashing her when talking to other coaches as well.

Like someone told me the other day... What comes around goes around, and I'll be there when it comes back around. ;D

I copied it and e-mailed it to all the parents on our team. I think we have all been guilty of at least one of these in our lifetime! Especially the one about yelling out instructions. You always hear "throw it to third, throw it to third!" or whatever, and we are drowning out the coach!!!! lol

How About...

#11 - Don't Come to the Game

If you cannot follow #s 1-10, how about staying home so I can enjoy the game. I'll let you know what happened when I get home.

Wow does this seem familar. especially last year at Nationals. One person can ruin everyones experience. Thanks Rays for a great post.

You are so right lightening. ?Every team has its trouble maker.... how do you deal with it?

I have seen this list before and I have given it to my parents as well.

The kids definately loved it.

Assuming your team rules are clearly stated from the beginning, you send a blanket e-mail to the team reminding them of the importance of following team rules. Usually the guilty party (ies) recognize it's them to whom you are speaking and get the message. It also suddenly dawns on them they have been taken to task in front of the other parents. Seems harsh but no harsher than them breaking their promise to follow team rules.

OhioRays that is a great list unfortunately the parents that need to follow either wont see it or believe it is them. There is nothing more upsetting than seeing a young lady upset or crying because her parent is embarrasing the mess out of her.

Thanks Rays

I am going to share that post with my team! I've been guilty of some of those things in the past and have learned that all it does is embarrass everyone involved.

It's great to have a reminder

I'm going to save this and have it ready for my 10U team next season! ?I love it! ?Thanks for sharing this.