White Mitt for Pitchers

Indiansummer11

Reaction score
I just bought my daughter a white Rawlings Liberty for Christmas. I was reading ASA prohibits white mitts for pichers? Is this true? Any info wil help. Especially an umpires perspective. Thanks.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Not an expert on the specific rules for the various organizations, but there's at least a general rule that umpires have some leeway around that pitchers aren't allowed to wear things (on their hands, arms, or even body) that might serve to "hide" the ball coming out of her hand. There may or may not be some rules for the various orgs that prohibit white gloves, but I think at best case you're going to have some umpires and/or opposing coaches questioning a white glove by a pitcher.

FastBat

Reaction score
I'm not sure either. Bit of advice if she isn't allowed and you can't take it back, you could try to color it with a black sharpie. She would probably not like the look, but...my fingers are crossed this works out.

MD 20/20

Reaction score
My daughter (and pitcher) has wore a white glove in several assoc.'s including HS game and has never had an issue. My suggestion, if ever called would not be a sharpie but use shoe polish (I know I'm showing my age) but it comes in a little bottle with a square sponge applicator on the end. Back in the day, we use to black out the white swooshes/stripes, etc on our black spikes and it made them look old school, like shoeless Joe, old school. Plain black spikes with no decoration.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
ASA used to prohibit white gloves. But that was back when they used a white ball. About a decade ago they changed their rule to read that the pitcher may not use a glove that is the same color as the ball being used in the game.

A white glove is perfectly legal if you're using an optic yellow ball.

reagansdaddy

Reaction score
Taran Avelo wore a white glove while pitching for Washington against Auburn last night.

MD 20/20

Reaction score
I also saw both Auburn pitchers wearing white gloves against Oklahoma yesterday. Great game btw. 3-2, with tying run at 1st. I just had this feeling she was gonna go YAYA to win it. Struck out full count low and away.

reagansdaddy

Reaction score
I also saw both Auburn pitchers wearing white gloves against Oklahoma yesterday. Great game btw. 3-2, with tying run at 1st. I just had this feeling she was gonna go YAYA to win it. Struck out full count low and away.

The nightcap game was outstanding as well. Washington wins by 1 in 10 innings.

FastBat

Reaction score
What channel are you watching on? It only says longhorn channel?