Scenic City Summer Tourney-any good tips?

Reaction score
My team is playing in this tourney this weekend for the first time this year. For all of you who have been there before...any tips?
Places to go....things to see?

We are really looking forward to playing against some teams from GA, FL, TN, TX, NC, etc.

lewam3

Reaction score
If you are playing at the Summit Fields this is a cool place to stop to take some BBQ back to the hotel.

Couch's BBQ www.couchsbbq.org
8307 Old Lee Hwy, Ooltewah, TN 37363

17smom

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE Chattanooga! I had been there prior to softball, but this will also be our third time at the Scenic City Tournament. The Summit of Softball Complex is beautiful.

I haven't been to the BBQ place that lewam3 mentioned above, but this is our favorite BBQ place - http://www.hillbillywillys.com/ It's not by the Summit of Softball Complex, but not too far from Warner if you are playing there. It is a hole in the wall (in a plaza) that you go up and order from the register and then seat yourself, but we love it. If you have more than 2 people in your group, consider one of the family meals - lots of great southern food - including the sides.

Also, if you have some downtime, a couple of places to see on Lookout Mountain is Rock City and Ruby Falls. You can buy combo tickets to both places here - https://tickets.lookoutmountain.com/Info.aspx?EventID=21 We've been to both places twice and love them both. A little pricey if you have more than a couple of people, but worth it if it's your first time going. Rock City is outdoors and beautiful with many sightseeing opportunities. Ruby Falls is an underground cave with a waterfall at the end - which is cool to go through, but also cool in temperature on the hot summer days of Tennessee - I think it is in the 50s or 60s underground, so take a jacket if you are prone to being cold.

My Mom has also done the incline, which you can also buy as a package ticket - I have not done it. She liked it a lot, but I didn't feel it would be worth the price. Still, where the incline is, you can get up on their decks for sightseeing and picture taking without having to buy a ticket to the actual incline. There are also other, free sightseeing stops on Lookout Mountain.

Final tip for Chattanooga - the only thing I'm not a fan of is the traffic on 75 can get quite busy and move slow. Probably no more than any other major city - I'm just not a city person. Just make sure if you are traveling to fields on 75, especially during rush hour times, then make sure you leave yourself extra time.

Good luck at the tournament and I hope you enjoy Chattanooga!

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE Chattanooga! I had been there prior to softball, but this will also be our third time at the Scenic City Tournament. The Summit of Softball Complex is beautiful.

I haven't been to the BBQ place that lewam3 mentioned above, but this is our favorite BBQ place - http://www.hillbillywillys.com/ It's not by the Summit of Softball Complex, but not too far from Warner if you are playing there. It is a hole in the wall (in a plaza) that you go up and order from the register and then seat yourself, but we love it. If you have more than 2 people in your group, consider one of the family meals - lots of great southern food - including the sides.

Also, if you have some downtime, a couple of places to see on Lookout Mountain is Rock City and Ruby Falls. You can buy combo tickets to both places here - https://tickets.lookoutmountain.com/Info.aspx?EventID=21 We've been to both places twice and love them both. A little pricey if you have more than a couple of people, but worth it if it's your first time going. Rock City is outdoors and beautiful with many sightseeing opportunities. Ruby Falls is an underground cave with a waterfall at the end - which is cool to go through, but also cool in temperature on the hot summer days of Tennessee - I think it is in the 50s or 60s underground, so take a jacket if you are prone to being cold.

My Mom has also done the incline, which you can also buy as a package ticket - I have not done it. She liked it a lot, but I didn't feel it would be worth the price. Still, where the incline is, you can get up on their decks for sightseeing and picture taking without having to buy a ticket to the actual incline. There are also other, free sightseeing stops on Lookout Mountain.

Final tip for Chattanooga - the only thing I'm not a fan of is the traffic on 75 can get quite busy and move slow. Probably no more than any other major city - I'm just not a city person. Just make sure if you are traveling to fields on 75, especially during rush hour times, then make sure you leave yourself extra time.

Good luck at the tournament and I hope you enjoy Chattanooga!

This is outstanding information!
Thank you

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
If you are playing at the Summit Fields this is a cool place to stop to take some BBQ back to the hotel.

Couch's BBQ www.couchsbbq.org
8307 Old Lee Hwy, Ooltewah, TN 37363

I can sure vouch for this place, went there a few years ago when we were vacationing in Chattanooga and their BBQ is awesome.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
I forgot to mention - there are also many things to do downtown. There is the Chattanooga Choo Choo, a Zoo, I think an aquarium, and lots of history and art attractions. Here is another link for attractions - http://www.chattanoogafun.com/what-to-do

The aquarium is HUGE!! And a great time.
Also if ya want craft beer just pass through the old downtown, and get onto manufacturers Rd, riverside wine and spirits is the store, they have a good selection of high and low area craft beers. Yazoo Slye rye is particularly good

Strohbro

Reaction score

Sweetpea

Reaction score
I can second the Hillbilly Willies suggestion. Looks like a dump on the outside but the BBQ sauce is so good we still order it online and have it shipped to Ohio.

GeneralsDad

Reaction score
The downtown night life is amazing. Minor League baseball, haunted tours, tons of restaurants and a few ice cream shops. Take the team downtown for dinner then walk around and explore. River bottom festival this weekend headlined by Heart for your music lovers. By far my favorite venue for softball. Give yourself plenty of time to get to games. Traffic is a hot mess all the time. 24 as well as 75.

Run26

Reaction score
Scenic City was always one of our favorite tournaments in the summer and fall. Tons to do downtown and its a true softball city. We were lucky enough to do 2 ASA "A" Nationals and countless showcase events in Chattanooga. Warner is nice but Summit City is one of my favorites in the whole country. An old landfill turned ballpark is a brilliant idea if you have mountain views and elite players spread across 10+ fields.
You'll be hard pressed to find a summer showcase with more college coaches in attendance. Have your girls do their homework and they will get an audience.
Coaches - to truly experience the onslaught of college coaches you really need to concentrate on your resume and get your teams in the Super Pools. Yes, SC is a great tournament for everyone but the SPs is on a completely different level. You come out of pool play with a better than .500 record and you're truly doing something.

Our team did something a little different a few years ago and kicked the hotel booking and we all stayed in cabins. The whole team was able to get 2 cabins next to each other and both were on the Tennessee River. It was about 6 trillion times better than staying in a hotel. It takes a little planning but I highly recommend it.

Here is the site: http://cabinsofchattanooga.com/?page_id=1982

Bulldog

Reaction score
Champys, 40 and fowl...best chicken ever.....drinks nice and cold

Strohbro

Reaction score
Once again an incredible Showcase. The teams and talent level was just unreal! You name the school, a coach was there. At one point I saw TN, FLA, MI, Evansville, Ohio University, Ball State, Valdosta State, GA and the list goes on and on. In my opinion, this is a MUST Showcase!!

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Scenic City high/lowlights.Agree with most all the great good food choices.Liked Potifinos,Searched out a smaller brewery found Terminal brewery to have a good selection of brews decently priced unique food choices.Now for the lowlights.Be sure your in a super pool if your gonna make the trip,yes the competition is the best wherever your playing,but exposure and feild prep is night and day.Mattox had no field prep between games,lines were non existant,fields were done every game at Warner and water coolers in dugouts.Most coach's we invited made the trip,but a big disparity between the facilitys make it tough to justify.Gate fees were 25 for the weekend which is steep when if not in super pool only top team in pool vs 2 in super are playing in sun in bracket.Talked to people running mattox were doing it raise money for there team about 3 grand.did the best they could w volunteers they had.Don't think this event isn't funding an org,w 350 grand in team fees and probably a 100g in gate fees the orgs doing well.Just some thoughts you make your own decision.