Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

wpaguy

Reaction score
USSSA in western PA is now moving some tournaments to August ...I think this will be the start of new trend. Maybe more teams will stay together this year and play through the fall season.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
USSSA in western PA is now moving some tournaments to August ...I think this will be the start of new trend. Maybe more teams will stay together this year and play through the fall season.

The USSSA season runs from Aug. 1 - July 31. USSSA would have to come out and announce it was making some kind of extension. The insurance company which only covers teams till Aug 1 would need to announce an extension.

Otherwise every event after first of August would be a 2021 event and teams would need to play in the age division of that year. This would def impact mixed year teams. And teams would not be covered unless something was announced.

Not saying USSSA may make some adjustments, but they have not announced anything yet...

wpaguy

Reaction score
The USSSA season runs from Aug. 1 - July 31. USSSA would have to come out and announce it was making some kind of extension. The insurance company which only covers teams till Aug 1 would need to announce an extension.

Otherwise every event after first of August would be a 2021 event and teams would need to play in the age division of that year. This would def impact mixed year teams. And teams would not be covered unless something was announced.

Not saying USSSA may make some adjustments, but they have not announced anything yet...

Teams,

We had a conference call this morning with all involved with the Indiana, PA tournaments that we host there. That is the June 13th-14th Indiana County Summer Showcase tournament as well as the June 27th-28th Blue State Championships. The Indiana University President has sent out a letter to all, that all face to face contact at the university is shut down through the summer. That includes Camps, Tournaments as well as other programs. They are looking at opening back up in August. For both of these tournaments we use university facilities as well as staff and players from the university. Because of this decision we have decided to move both of these tournaments to August. The June 13th-14th Indiana County Summer Showcase will now be held on August 15th-16th. This includes the player camp that was be held on Friday June 12th. The player camp will now be held on Friday night August 14th. The June 27th-28th Blue State Championship will be held on August 8th-9th.

USSSA as we speak is in the process of extending the 2020 USSSA season through August. That means that all 2020 team registrations and rosters will be good through August. This should be completed in the next week or two. With moving these two tournaments to the NEW dates we hope that you will join us.

These are unprecedented times with the Covid-19 outbreak. We here at WPA USSSA are continuing to monitor the National, State and Local government recommendations. We want to get back onto the fields as much as everyone, but we will only do so once everything is safe. We have canceled all WPA USSSA tournaments in April. We are now looking at the May tournaments. At this time, we are on a wait and see approach with those to see what happens over the next couple of weeks. We have added tournaments to our August and September dates and may be moving more tournaments. We ask all teams to consider playing in these tournaments.

I can say from WPA USSSA that any tournaments that are canceled or moved, all teams will have the opportunity to have their registration and full payment moved to another WPA USSSA tournament or receive a full refund or full credit to next year.

We want everyone to please stay safe and follow all guidelines. These are very difficult times for everyone with the health and safety of everyone. It is also a hard time for our economy and small business. We ask for your patience and understanding as we work through all of this. Together we can all get through this and get back to playing this sport that we all love so much.

Spring/Summer Schedules: http://www.usssacentralpa.com/2020WesternPATournaments.html

Fall Schedules: http://www.usssacentralpa.com/2020WesternPAFallTournaments.html

Take Care

WPA USSSA Staff

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Here’s my question, and maybe you can help answer this Russ. Let’s just say a tournament in May gets cancelled does the Director give the full refund or keep a portion of that signup fee? Or do they keep the signup fee and roll it to another tournament and put that team in a different tournament they are hosting? Could get tricky. I can see it both ways with some of the directors out there.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Teams,

We had a conference call this morning with all involved with the Indiana, PA tournaments that we host there. That is the June 13th-14th Indiana County Summer Showcase tournament as well as the June 27th-28th Blue State Championships. The Indiana University President has sent out a letter to all, that all face to face contact at the university is shut down through the summer. That includes Camps, Tournaments as well as other programs. They are looking at opening back up in August. For both of these tournaments we use university facilities as well as staff and players from the university. Because of this decision we have decided to move both of these tournaments to August. The June 13th-14th Indiana County Summer Showcase will now be held on August 15th-16th. This includes the player camp that was be held on Friday June 12th. The player camp will now be held on Friday night August 14th. The June 27th-28th Blue State Championship will be held on August 8th-9th.

USSSA as we speak is in the process of extending the 2020 USSSA season through August. That means that all 2020 team registrations and rosters will be good through August. This should be completed in the next week or two. With moving these two tournaments to the NEW dates we hope that you will join us.

These are unprecedented times with the Covid-19 outbreak. We here at WPA USSSA are continuing to monitor the National, State and Local government recommendations. We want to get back onto the fields as much as everyone, but we will only do so once everything is safe. We have canceled all WPA USSSA tournaments in April. We are now looking at the May tournaments. At this time, we are on a wait and see approach with those to see what happens over the next couple of weeks. We have added tournaments to our August and September dates and may be moving more tournaments. We ask all teams to consider playing in these tournaments.

I can say from WPA USSSA that any tournaments that are canceled or moved, all teams will have the opportunity to have their registration and full payment moved to another WPA USSSA tournament or receive a full refund or full credit to next year.

We want everyone to please stay safe and follow all guidelines. These are very difficult times for everyone with the health and safety of everyone. It is also a hard time for our economy and small business. We ask for your patience and understanding as we work through all of this. Together we can all get through this and get back to playing this sport that we all love so much.

Spring/Summer Schedules: http://www.usssacentralpa.com/2020WesternPATournaments.html

Fall Schedules: http://www.usssacentralpa.com/2020WesternPAFallTournaments.html

Take Care

WPA USSSA Staff
Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s my question, and maybe you can help answer this Russ. Let’s just say a tournament in May gets cancelled does the Director give the full refund or keep a portion of that signup fee? Or do they keep the signup fee and roll it to another tournament and put that team in a different tournament they are hosting? Could get tricky. I can see it both ways with some of the directors out there.

All Directors have a refund policy in place. But I would say that most, if not all will be giving full refunds for any event cancelled by this pandemic! I know we, at Tri-State USSSA, will be giving full refunds to any and all events cancelled due to this situation. We have cancelled our April events & are hoping we get good news for May! We are def hoping all our June & July events are a go! With that said, we will move any registration to any other event we are hosting this Summer or Fall too.

wow

Reaction score
Folks right now every state is in competition to see who can close down the longest. The news media is exacerbating the situation. The metro markets are hit the hardest, as we all know. The reality is the local governments will not open things up for months and right now the possibility is very real that summer ball will not be playable, regardless of everyones hope. Yes it sucks, and yes we are living in the twilight zone right now. Tournament directors and organization heads need to be proactive in dealing with peoples money and what the "refund" policy is. Most of corporate America has already addressed this from airlines, to retail , to the federal government, with moving tax day and stimulus. The fact is, holding money indefinitely or in the "hope" we play is foolish and ill conceived. There is a cost of doing business and by no means to I think 100% refund on fees is appropriate, but these events and Org heads need to be out front and showing fiscal leadership. People are out of work and the next few months will bring economic uncertainty.

and BTW Ohio State has just cancelled all EVENTS on campus until July 6th. You know if they cancel football this is serious

Last edited:

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
Folks right now every state is in competition to see who can close down the longest. The news media is exacerbating the situation. The metro markets are hit the hardest, as we all know. The reality is the local governments will not open things up for months and right now the possibility is very real that summer ball will not be playable, regardless of everyones hope. Yes it sucks, and yes we are living in the twilight zone right now. Tournament directors and organization heads need to be proactive in dealing with peoples money and what the "refund" policy is. Most of corporate America has already addressed this from airlines, to retail , to the federal government, with moving tax day and stimulus. The fact is, holding money indefinitely or in the "hope" we play is foolish and ill conceived. There is a cost of doing business and by no means to I think 100% refund on fees is appropriate, but these events and Org heads need to be out front and showing fiscal leadership. People are out of work and the next few months will bring economic uncertainty.

and BTW Ohio State has just cancelled all EVENTS on campus until July 6th. You know if they cancel football this is serious
I would only add, 100% of the remaining balance of fees paid. Many if not all used partial funds for fall and winter. Plus the same amount probably already spent a good deal of money on uniforms.

Robert Reiter

Reaction score
It even looks like the NFL & College Football seasons will be delayed by future mass gathering rules. I would guess that we can kiss this softball season goodbye. It will probably take this virus as long to dwindle down as it will to peak.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Wouldn't the only rationale for Tournament Directors to not totally refund the entire fee be if they had out of pocket expenses that they can't recover from their vendors? It's a little hard for me to imagine that if in fact they had any out of pocket expenses, that they couldn't get a refund from their suppliers as well.

I'm really sorry, everyone, but there's no way summer ball is happening this year.

Dave Coffee

Reaction score
Wouldn't the only rationale for Tournamihent Directors to not totally refund the entire fee be if they had out of pocket expenses that they can't recover from their vendors? It's a little hard for me to imagine that if in fact they had any out of pocket expenses, that they couldn't get a refund from their suppliers as well.

I'm really sorry, everyone, but there's no way summer ball is happening this year.

I'm to the point I believe su8mmer ball won't happen. Lucky for my family the Coaching Staff is already calling tournament director's and pulling out of all Tournament until August. The main reason they have decided to do this instead of waiting is because 70% of are family's are out of work and most have lost any second income they had before the virus. Coaches are trying to return as much ofj3n my vh bonkf the fee as they can as fast as they can. We all have already received a check for $400 jn glad know rf jj wen r no

soltes22

Reaction score
The issue isn't just the CDC or Government Guidelines, the biggest issue that will likely cancel HS and Travel Summer Season is Insurance Liability. Not to mention the financial impact to individual families. I'm as much an optimist there is, but I'm also pragmatic.

I also coach Travel Baseball and many of the biggest tournaments in June (including the biggest of all 'Cooperstown') already cancelled because Insurance carriers are telling Teams and Tournament Directors that the individuals who run teams and tournaments are liable for any Medical costs for "unsafe playing conditions".

No tournament director/team/high school will risk liability to host/play a tournament or game with teams from all over the US, especially since each state is having their own wave and timing of virus incidents.

The other shoe to watch for Summer and Fall is College recruiting budgets, how will they be impacted by the lack of funding?

Sorry to say but I believe the Travel Culture and AAU world of sports will look very different after all this.

Davemy

Reaction score
Website
auntrosiestournament.com
The issue isn't just the CDC or Government Guidelines, the biggest issue that will likely cancel HS and Travel Summer Season is Insurance Liability. Not to mention the financial impact to individual families. I'm as much an optimist there is, but I'm also pragmatic.

I also coach Travel Baseball and many of the biggest tournaments in June (including the biggest of all 'Cooperstown') already cancelled because Insurance carriers are telling Teams and Tournament Directors that the individuals who run teams and tournaments are liable for any Medical costs for "unsafe playing conditions".

No tournament director/team/high school will risk liability to host/play a tournament or game with teams from all over the US, especially since each state is having their own wave and timing of virus incidents.

The other shoe to watch for Summer and Fall is College recruiting budgets, how will they be impacted by the lack of funding?

Sorry to say but I believe the Travel Culture and AAU world of sports will look very different after all this.
Just curious to what you mean by unsafe playing conditions? What would be wrong with the fields?

soltes22

Reaction score
Just curious to what you mean by unsafe playing conditions? What would be wrong with the fields?

I'm no legal scholar and don't pretend to be, but Negligence would be the main issue, not the field conditions per say.

What I was told in baseball world, without a vaccine or other major breakthrough expect player safety, liability and negligence to trump all decisions in the near term.

Long Baller

Reaction score
I'm no legal scholar and don't pretend to be, but Negligence would be the main issue, not the field conditions per say.

What I was told in baseball world, without a vaccine or other major breakthrough expect player safety, liability and negligence to trump all decisions in the near term.
If all federal and state "social distancing" regulations are lifted by time of the tournament, then how could there be any negligence by the tournament director?

IRdad09

Reaction score
I still feel in my gut it is way to early to tell here. I get there are some pretty big tournaments. However, these are all held outdoors in summers months and typically pretty spread out. We cannot look at what professional sporting leagues do. They are in a much more confined space. That being said we will be at the mercy of what the federal and state governments come up with and when they will start to relax the whole mass gathering order. Still holding out hope and looking forward to a summer full of softball.

Reaction score
We will all have a more clear insight into the future by April 22---more data to work with--more info on treatments--etc. The vaccine is at least 8 to 12 months away. We are not packed on one another like in New York and New Jersey. New York is dominating the news and their situation is vastly different than Ohio's or Indiana or Kentucky where right now there are less than 1 documented illness per 1000 residents. New York's is around 4o per thousand. The decision will be delegated down to County Health departments on what to do once the governors release any stay at home orders.

City Slicker

Reaction score

The Racers Foundation is refunding all but the registration fee and applying it towards next season.

Icemike

Reaction score
What do you think about the idea of 3 or 4 team round robin weekend games. Small crowds, no hotels. Could invite college coaches. Could play in July and August.