Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

Run26

Reaction score
I'm probably going to end up being the bad guy in this conversation but here it goes: ya'll may need to start planning on possible Fall tournaments versus summer. I just can't see DeWine allowing these big tournaments in Ohio anytime soon. He canceled a mass money maker in The Arnold and seems to have little faith in we are making progress without being under his control. There's no way he'll let cleats hit the dirt this summer.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
I'm probably going to end up being the bad guy in this conversation but here it goes: ya'll may need to start planning on possible Fall tournaments versus summer. I just can't see DeWine allowing these big tournaments in Ohio anytime soon. He canceled a mass money maker in The Arnold and seems to have little faith in we are making progress without being under his control. There's no way he'll let cleats hit the dirt this summer.

DeWine is the bad guy in that conversation, not you.

brownsfan

Reaction score
As to softball this year, my daughter actually is a very good player in 14U (she had 12+ offers last summer simply from coaches who sought her out, mostly after seeing her play against their teams... half were teams that had to bump up to 16U this year)

I thought the NCAA ruled on early commitments and can't be done until junior year in HS. Sounds like some NCAA violations are in order.

brownsfan

Reaction score
AS for summ
anyone that has fields that can be used might end up playing 3 tourneys a week instead of just weekends. meaning 1 tourney monday and tuesday... another tourney wed and thursday, another one fri and saturday.... 3 a week. might be a good idea ? get the most out of the fields when you can. like opening up a second and 3rd shift in a manufacturing facility. operate 24/7

3 tourneys a week? I hope you're only kidding. I'm not going to talk about field maintenance as the outfield will be shredded if grass. Do you know why Montana Fouts was "benched" during the super regionals? Coach Murphy essentially said, "I have her for three more years. She already missed 3 weeks due to overuse injuries from HS and travel." I know from experience when my daughter played and had 6 tourneys, she was physically and mentally exhausted. Her freshman year in college, she was even more physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted. It took her nearly the entire summer to recuperate.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
uhhh.. yeah 3 tourneys a week spread out is actually the old 1 tourney a weekend. thats doesn't mean every team playing 3 "tourneys a week". montana fouts and over use... where the hell did that come from? lol come on man

coachjwb

Reaction score
Just another person's view on DeWine ... https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/politics/mike-dewine-coronavirus-leadership-ohio/index.html

I really think the people upset aren't with DeWine so much but with the whole situation. A good case can be made that a lot of other states are worse off and their governors haven't been on top of it as much. He and Acton are just the visible focal points.

One other thing I wanted to mention. When my girlfriend was furloughed, she had an issue with signing up for unemployment, and tried over 200 times to get through on the phone lines. I wrote a message to DeWine complaining about it, and believe it or not, I got a call back from the unemployment office in Columbus following up to see if she had resolved the situation (and she had by then). But I was impressed I actually heard back.

JanSkiz

Reaction score
AC01882C-0E2F-4014-8CD0-015F70C29154.jpeg I have a daughter who plays softball and a son who plays baseball. Received this email today concerning baseball and thought it may be of interest to the group as it seems to apply to all sports. I don’t post much not sure I did this right

PaulP

Reaction score
Pony Nationals have been cancelled. Hope it’s not a sign that other tournaments with interstate travel will be cancelled.

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
Just another person's view on DeWine ... https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/politics/mike-dewine-coronavirus-leadership-ohio/index.html

I really think the people upset aren't with DeWine so much but with the whole situation. A good case can be made that a lot of other states are worse off and their governors haven't been on top of it as much. He and Acton are just the visible focal points.

One other thing I wanted to mention. When my girlfriend was furloughed, she had an issue with signing up for unemployment, and tried over 200 times to get through on the phone lines. I wrote a message to DeWine complaining about it, and believe it or not, I got a call back from the unemployment office in Columbus following up to see if she had resolved the situation (and she had by then). But I was impressed I actually heard back.
My wife made $5 less than the minimum for part time unemployment. She made $280 per week and has been unemployed since mid march. That was our blow money. Blow money being extra to do softball and vacation but now its solely on me. Whatever the algorithms, its wrong

Robert Reiter

Reaction score
A boy that works for me was visiting his son in Mid-April in southwestern VA, he left VA to go see his parents in NC and was stopped at the NC border by 2 state troopers and turned around and sent back to VA. No NC license, No NC plates, No NC utility bills was a good enough reason to turn him around.

Jkb69933

Reaction score
So back to the original question. What are people’s thoughts? Are we any closer to knowing whether we are playing at some point this summer? What’s your best guess?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i stick by my original date June 1st. gonna be full practices in the 1st week of June and or friendlies going on by mid june and so on

Mad Hornet

Reaction score

Well unemployment is way up. Bankruptcies in progress. Depression up. Alcoholism up. Drug abuse up. Sex abuse also up. Domestic violence up. Obesity up. Hospitals starving cause they got no patients but hey we flattened the f*ck out of that curve! Oh yea Suicides are up but no one talks about that because every death is a corona death.

I have a campaign slogan for DeWine's re-election. "DeWine -Ruining Lives to save them"

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Well unemployment is way up. Bankruptcies in progress. Depression up. Alcoholism up. Drug abuse up. Sex abuse also up. Domestic violence up. Obesity up. Hospitals starving cause they got no patients but hey we flattened the f*ck out of that curve! Oh yea Suicides are up but no one talks about that because every death is a corona death.

I have a campaign slogan for DeWine's re-election. "DeWine -Ruining Lives to save them"

They had some poor girl who was a softball player committed suicide over the corona.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
I just takked with another TD who said no parks are going to be open for rental until August or late July at the best. He has around 3-4 tournaments. He trying to find new location but having a hard time of it.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just takked with another TD who said no parks are going to be open for rental until August or late July at the best. He has around 3-4 tournaments. He trying to find new location but having a hard time of it.
If restrictions allow Tournaments to be held, then I don't understand why parks would not be open???? I understand the schools dictating what they do with their fields. But if people are in public parks - then why would they not want the money??? And the privately owned parks need the money to survive!

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Excerpts from DeWine presser on Friday: "DIDN'T WANT TO PUT AN UN-ENDING DATE (to the new order).....WE WANTED TO HAVE A DATE CERTAIN, BUT AS I SAID, THINGS WILL CHANGE SO NO ONE SHOULD BE TOO FIXATED ON WHATEVER THAT DATE IS A LOT OF THINGS AS I SAID WILL HAPPEN DURING THE MONTH OF MAY WE WILL OPEN A NUMBER OF THINGS UP IN OHIO"

"BUT WE ALSO HAVE PUT TOGETHER WORKING GROUPS, AGAIN, THE PRINCIPLE, LETTING BUSINESSPEOPLE COME UP WITH THE BEST PRACTICES THAT ACTUALLY WILL WORK....TRAVELING TOURISM WOULD BE ANOTHER WORKING GROUP BEING PUT TOGETHER OUTDOOR RECREATION, ANOTHER WORKING GROUP THAT WE ARE PUTTING TOGETHER, AGAIN, FROM PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND THOSE INDUSTRIES GOLF, SPORTS, YOUTH SPORTS, OUR GYMS MANY PEOPLE GO TO GYMS..."

"THE GOAL IS, TO TAKE PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND THAT WORK, PUT THEM TOGETHER WITH OTHER EXPERTS, COME UP WITH A WAY THAT WILL ACTUALLY WORK, BEST PRACTICES, SO WHEN YOU GO IN THAT TO THAT PLACE YOU KNOW BEST PRACTICES ARE BEING FOLLOWED MY FELLOW OHIOANS WE CAN DO TWO THINGS AT ONCE"