Umpires behind the pitcher.

AFranke

Reaction score
For the teams who have played how many of your games have had umpires behind the mound? Also, how well do you think they have done? Personally, I don't mind the umpires being behind the mound. They can see every pitch without the catcher blocking their view. I have heard some umpires say " I didn't see that pitch because the catcher was in my way ". I also think being behind the mound helps the elder umpires out there and not baking in the gear in 90 degree weather. This may help umpires wanting to do games and not quit. We all know that most of the umpires we have now are a bit older. Hopefully the younger generation starts getting out there to ump some games. Thoughts?

IRdad09

Reaction score
For the teams who have played how many of your games have had umpires behind the mound? Also, how well do you think they have done? Personally, I don't mind the umpires being behind the mound. They can see every pitch without the catcher blocking their view. I have heard some umpires say " I didn't see that pitch because the catcher was in my way ". I also think being behind the mound helps the elder umpires out there and not baking in the gear in 90 degree weather. This may help umpires wanting to do games and not quit. We all know that most of the umpires we have now are a bit older. Hopefully the younger generation starts getting out there to ump some games. Thoughts?

We have played the last 2 weekends. Umpires have all been in their regular positions.

jt7663

Reaction score
You have to have 2 Umps if one is behind Pitcher impossible to See Foul Balls from the middle of the field

AFranke

Reaction score
You have to have 2 Umps if one is behind Pitcher impossible to See Foul Balls from the middle of the field
That is definitely true! We played a friendly and I recognized that right away. That's the toughest thing about having one ump and being behind the mound.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That leaves an older Umpire as a sitting duck in the middle of the field. Much bigger chance of being hit with a ball. No way can they see where the ball crosses the plate anywhere near as good, as if they are in proper slot behind the Catcher. Same as if Umpire is several feet behind Catcher - can't see where crosses and much more apt to be hit by foul tips...

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
We just finished and we had one umpire do a game from behind the mound, this is not optimum, but we allowed it in the event teams had issues with umpire being too close. I really don't know much more other than we apparently did not have an issue with it. This is not something we normally allow, but a result of trying to keep as much as possible with covid issues. Umpires do not like it either as it screws up mechanics.
Also, the comment about being several feet behind the catcher being a sitting duck is VERY TRUE, one of our guys tried it in a friendly and he felt like a target back when back that far!
I doubt you will se this very often, but occasionally. I know many of our guys this was the first tournament of the year and they were a bit apprehensive about being close to catcher, but worked into it and felt comfortable as day went on.

PaulP

Reaction score
We’ve played in two tournaments and in only one game did I see an ump call pitches behind the mound. The other ump, who set up behind the batter, seemed lost. Was the ump behind the mound able to see strikes and balls clearly - not really. But did it matter - no. Still just happy to have umps, and a good ump behind the mound is better than a bad ump behind the plate.