The Future of Softball and Covid

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rec ball programs are already in trouble so where do they go from here? Will they even survive?
Will Travel Ball continue as last year but with possibly more or maybe less health mandates required?
How about HS ball? They've played a Football season and some of a Basketball season. Will this continue so the kids get to be on the field and represent their school?

There's rumors that D3 colleges might have the option of adding another year of eligibility to their student-athletes. Assuming that there's parity in the NCAA, that means D1's and 2's will probably get that option as well if they choose not to play a season. What's this do to the recruiting process? The moneys available? The number of spots per team available? How many are even going to want to play at that level since they may never even see a field their entire college career?

This is a mess and I don't see any easy answers.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
naw.... all this sh-t will blow over

covid is not this crazy deadly virus pandemic that the media and governors are making it out to be. 99.7% people dont die and many barely get sick. most deaths are not true as doctors and hospitals all get covid money so now everyone that dies, dies of covid. Once this mess of a so called presidential election is hashed out... the masks will disappear because hell, they dont work anyways, only after 10PM and until 5 AM... this wont be the norm unless you let it be. Softball will be softball. If highschool ball doesnt play , well in most cases thats a good thing. WAY LESS DRAMA and you wont go from playing travel to wreckball and back to travel again..... not really worried. The kids will get thru it. on a larger scale i dont see that many issues. Sure some kids might not get a sport scholarship but they can still get one for their brains. even now a lot of girls get sports scholarships and never see the field and end up quitting anyways.... it already happens. dont let the media and governor or political people fear you to death............. Everything gonna be alright!

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
naw.... all this sh-t will blow over

covid is not this crazy deadly virus pandemic that the media and governors are making it out to be. 99.7% people dont die and many barely get sick. most deaths are not true as doctors and hospitals all get covid money so now everyone that dies, dies of covid. Once this mess of a so called presidential election is hashed out... the masks will disappear because hell, they dont work anyways, only after 10PM and until 5 AM... this wont be the norm unless you let it be. Softball will be softball. If highschool ball doesnt play , well in most cases thats a good thing. WAY LESS DRAMA and you wont go from playing travel to wreckball and back to travel again..... not really worried. The kids will get thru it. on a larger scale i dont see that many issues. Sure some kids might not get a sport scholarship but they can still get one for their brains. even now a lot of girls get sports scholarships and never see the field and end up quitting anyways.... it already happens. dont let the media and governor or political people fear you to death............. Everything gonna be alright!

So to recap....COVID is being overblown, it has to do with the election along with masks. High School doesn't need to play because of drama and the transition of travel ball. Don't worry about the kids, they will just deal with it. Who cares about athletic scholarships when most end up quitting anyway...just worry about academic scholarships....

Interesting take.....

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So to recap....COVID is being overblown, it has to do with the election along with masks. High School doesn't need to play because of drama and the transition of travel ball. Don't worry about the kids, they will just deal with it. Who cares about athletic scholarships when most end up quitting anyway...just worry about academic scholarships....

Interesting take.....
isn't this why we got rid of the "off topic" section? I may have strong opinions that you may not agree with, and that's perfectly fine!

Let's play!

recap:
yes, covid is way over blown
yes, election, fear, and masks are heavily involved along with fake news and "twisted words" bringing more fear
high school ball is what it is and that's my opinion. It can be good but it can also be really bad and yes drama!
kids are one of the least vulnerable and we cant bring them up to be afraid and you know everyone gets a trophy like little snowflakes. Should you put more fear into their heads than that's already being put out there now?
A lot of kids don't play starting college and sit and do end up quitting. HUGE transition from travel to college ball. I said a lot of kids
( see how you "twisted my words"? you said "most" - i said a lot)
I said "Sure some kids might not get a sport scholarship but they can still get one for their brains. " thats a bad comment?
You said - I said "just worry about academic scholarships" another "twisting of my words". lol
Guess what kids! If your grades are not good, you don't get a scholarship in the first place and you won't be eligible to play anyways. Better have a back up plan educationally and not think your athletic skills will carry you. A great mixture of scholarships from all angles is best in my opinion.

that's what i think and if you think about it, You make my words sound worse than what I actually said. Thanks! do you work for CNN ? ha !

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
That was a fun read as I about spit my ice cold beverage all over my bar. Lol.

My Take.. not that it matters but I feel we will be alright. A few more months and this will all be gone. Poof. Disappear into thin air. We won’t hear anything about it. At least that’s my hopes.
I would like to see the girls get to play school ball and get all those live reps in such a short period of time.

As for Scholarships, I’m with Dan on this. Academics first. These girls are students first. Hints Student-Athletes. The whole one more year of eligibility and all that sucks but put yourself in the shoes of a College coach. Would you want one more year with those 3 Senior Studs or would you want 3 freshman you are gonna have to train and get them to buy in to your culture? Most would keep the 3 Senior Studs ands go for a BIG winning season. Wins and losses do mean something to some of these coaches.

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
isn't this why we got rid of the "off topic" section? I may have strong opinions that you may not agree with, and that's perfectly fine!

Let's play!

recap:
yes, covid is way over blown
yes, election, fear, and masks are heavily involved along with fake news and "twisted words" bringing more fear
high school ball is what it is and that's my opinion. It can be good but it can also be really bad and yes drama!
kids are one of the least vulnerable and we cant bring them up to be afraid and you know everyone gets a trophy like little snowflakes. Should you put more fear into their heads than that's already being put out there now?
A lot of kids don't play starting college and sit and do end up quitting. HUGE transition from travel to college ball. I said a lot of kids
( see how you "twisted my words"? you said "most" - i said a lot)
I said "Sure some kids might not get a sport scholarship but they can still get one for their brains. " thats a bad comment?
You said - I said "just worry about academic scholarships" another "twisting of my words". lol
Guess what kids! If your grades are not good, you don't get a scholarship in the first place and you won't be eligible to play anyways. Better have a back up plan educationally and not think your athletic skills will carry you. A great mixture of scholarships from all angles is best in my opinion.

that's what i think and if you think about it, You make my words sound worse than what I actually said. Thanks! do you work for CNN ? ha !

All I said it was an interesting take....talk about twisting words or making them sound worse. I actually agree with a decent amount of what you said. I pretty much agree with every about COVID although I don't think it all goes away right after the election is cleared up but yes it will go away.

I disagree about HS ball. Some parents do bring the drama but no more or no less than you see on travel teams. But I think a lot of girls take pride in playing for their HS and it is all part of the total HS experience. Of course, the kids would get over it...they can get over most anything generally speaking. So I think it is important to have that opportunity.

I think most kids that are getting close to deciding on post-education understand and realize that without the grades, athletics gets overshadowed and it becomes even more difficult. NOBODY (well at least me anyway) things grades and education are secondary. There is nothing wrong with a young lady working hard for both.

I just thought some of the comments were insensitive and harsh. I also really did find it as an interesting take. I enjoy all opinions and the different points of view. That is what makes this site interesting at times. It wasn't meant as a shot directly at you, if it came off as such, I do apologize.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AnotherSoftballDad: We can agree to agree AND agree to disagree.
no apologize needed!

daboss

Reaction score
With all due respect, in my opinion, Rec programs are not in trouble. Travel ball is not in trouble. Neither is school ball at any level. You may not see normalcy immediately but as a country we will return to some form of normalcy. Maybe it won't happen soon enough for some, but it will happen.

The original post asked about colleges (schools). Colleges are a business. While they are supposed to be in the business of learning, they compete for the tuition of all students to pay the bills---------and make money for a variety of reasons. Sports in general are a part of a much larger plan. They want students to aspire to be there.

Example; many of us enjoy being "Buckeyes" with a pride that can be overwhelming. I'm guilty of it. I did not attend OSU or play sports there. However, the dream of playing a major college sport, especially when their program is successful, is enough of a draw to get potential students to aspire to be a part of the "Scarlet and Grey" because they somehow feel connected if you understand what I mean.

Revenue from profitable sports programs can help a school achieve goals that can be mind-boggling. Other sports departments exist because the investment is made from profitable programs to help diversify the school. Fastpitch is a part of that diversification. Schools are not required to offer sports. Sport programs are a tool. While we understand the psychological implications for a developing mind, the importance of learning from the participation of playing a game can be achieved elsewhere. It's not all about the game.

Too much emphasis put on sports can have a negative impact, fogging our decision-making skills. We tend to overlook the true and beneficial life-lessons and opt to heighten the importance of playing a game and winning. The saying "It's not about winning or losing, it's about how you play the game" comes to mind. I read posts from many coaches and parents with unhealthy attitudes. They don't seem to get it. It's for this reason I encourage people to rethink the reasons why they are doing this and take the mentoring aspect seriously. You are influencing the minds of the future members of society. Some may be the leaders in your community or beyond. For most, none of it will be about fastpitch softball, baseball, football, or any other game--------except for an excuse to have a tailgate party.

We are dealing with a global pandemic. Some understand it, some don't. There's nothing political about it. There's nothing fake about it. A synthetic (man made) virus was released into the mainstream population of earth. This cannot be compared to any other virus or influenza. How this happened, why this happened, is still unknown. At the moment we need to focus on solving the problem and its effect on human life on our planet. The greatest country on the face of earth has accepted the challenge to come up with a vaccine. It will not eradicate the virus, at least not immediately. It will inoculate us against it in hopes that without a carrier (human beings) it will die on it's own. It takes a carrier to keep it alive. That's why safety precautions and extreme measures were asked of and eventually ordered to try and buy time for scientists to come up with a solution. If everyone would have participated, we wouldn't need an inoculation. The virus would have died.

If anyone dies from covid-19 that's too many. If anyone gets sick from covid-19, that's too many. An attitude of collateral damage is not a healthy attitude. "It didn't hurt me" is selfish. Look at wearing a mask, sanitizing, and social distancing in terms of fastpitch. Most everyone advocate safety gear for their girls playing the game. Many want even more equipment ordered by rules while others plead to parents to not let their daughter take the field without all the safety equipment available to them. Helmets, face masks, face masks on helmets, chin straps, heart guards, elbow protectors, fencing, padded fencing, break away bases, and safety netting. Limits on bat performance and core/compression limits on softballs. With all this common place in our game, why would you question wearing a mask, sanitizing, or social distancing so you can play the game now instead of later be an issue?

"It ain't cheatin unless you get caught" is an unhealthy mind set for any mentor to live by...........

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
agree with most of boss except --- THE VIRUS IS VERY POLITICAL!!!!!! no way around it. science says... masks work, oh wait, masks dont work, one day it does, then next week it doesnt.... too many studies out there say masks do nothing but make it hard to breathe and is a way of the government to control you. One world order? NO THANKS. I will stand proud and fight for my freedom and my country. I served proud and wont stand down. I know people that refuse to wear them, i actually do out of respect for you even though i do not agree with it one bit. Boss, it definitely has a BIG political spin on it. My opinion.

Last edited:

Cat-Man

Reaction score
Knowing what we know now compared to last spring, IMO HS softball will proceed almost as normal when the season starts. We'll probably see masks in the dugout, coaches, umps and social distancing in the stands. But, unfortunately the current situation is affecting off season conditioning right now as some schools have postponed or shut it down completely. I hope that trend doesn't continue for indoor practices once the season starts.

I suspect the travel ball season will remain the same or probably less restrictions. When I say the same, I mean this past season I think I saw about 10 people wear a mask over the entire summer at all the tournaments combined and not a whole lot of social distancing.

wpaguy

Reaction score
In regards to the opinion that HS softball is bad . I guess we are fortunate. We played in the toughest section in PA. Every Team is loaded with Travel Ball players , Many of them are D1 / D2 players . The pitching we faced and the hitting was awesome to watch. Again we are lucky and fortunate to play in such a tough division / section. Cant wait to defend our 2019 State Championship .

Stedman00

Reaction score
In regards to the opinion that HS softball is bad . I guess we are fortunate. We played in the toughest section in PA. Every Team is loaded with Travel Ball players , Many of them are D1 / D2 players . The pitching we faced and the hitting was awesome to watch. Again we are lucky and fortunate to play in such a tough division / section. Cant wait to defend our 2019 State Championship .

I'd wager that your state title is a function of the number of travel players, not reversed. And if you witnessed the number of political bologna, favoritism, cronyism, and just outright lying that occurs on many High school teams, you would have a different opinion.

wpaguy

Reaction score
I'd wager that your state title is a function of the number of travel players, not reversed. And if you witnessed the number of political bologna, favoritism, cronyism, and just outright lying that occurs on many High school teams, you would have a different opinion.

You completely missed my point , my post was more about the level of competition in our division/section ....if anything ....due to the level of competition in almost every game , it prepared the team for title run. The section was once again loaded again last year, but as you know we did not get a chance to play. I expect again for it to be an extremely tough section with no easy games. As I said , we are very fortunate to play against very good HS teams. No HS team is 100 & immune from drama. Winning does help solve some of it

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Different opinions on HS ball...some have good experiences and some don't. Sounds pretty logical. I know there is a lot of drama, politics, etc. on HS teams and some travel teams. But the big difference is it is easier to switch a travel team than an HS team...so I understand it. I know it happens a lot out there and it really is too bad.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With all due respect, in my opinion, Rec programs are not in trouble. Travel ball is not in trouble. Neither is school ball at any level. You may not see normalcy immediately but as a country we will return to some form of normalcy. Maybe it won't happen soon enough for some, but it will happen.

The original post asked about colleges (schools). Colleges are a business. While they are supposed to be in the business of learning, they compete for the tuition of all students to pay the bills---------and make money for a variety of reasons. Sports in general are a part of a much larger plan. They want students to aspire to be there.

Example; many of us enjoy being "Buckeyes" with a pride that can be overwhelming. I'm guilty of it. I did not attend OSU or play sports there. However, the dream of playing a major college sport, especially when their program is successful, is enough of a draw to get potential students to aspire to be a part of the "Scarlet and Grey" because they somehow feel connected if you understand what I mean.

Revenue from profitable sports programs can help a school achieve goals that can be mind-boggling. Other sports departments exist because the investment is made from profitable programs to help diversify the school. Fastpitch is a part of that diversification. Schools are not required to offer sports. Sport programs are a tool. While we understand the psychological implications for a developing mind, the importance of learning from the participation of playing a game can be achieved elsewhere. It's not all about the game.

Too much emphasis put on sports can have a negative impact, fogging our decision-making skills. We tend to overlook the true and beneficial life-lessons and opt to heighten the importance of playing a game and winning. The saying "It's not about winning or losing, it's about how you play the game" comes to mind. I read posts from many coaches and parents with unhealthy attitudes. They don't seem to get it. It's for this reason I encourage people to rethink the reasons why they are doing this and take the mentoring aspect seriously. You are influencing the minds of the future members of society. Some may be the leaders in your community or beyond. For most, none of it will be about fastpitch softball, baseball, football, or any other game--------except for an excuse to have a tailgate party.

We are dealing with a global pandemic. Some understand it, some don't. There's nothing political about it. There's nothing fake about it. A synthetic (man made) virus was released into the mainstream population of earth. This cannot be compared to any other virus or influenza. How this happened, why this happened, is still unknown. At the moment we need to focus on solving the problem and its effect on human life on our planet. The greatest country on the face of earth has accepted the challenge to come up with a vaccine. It will not eradicate the virus, at least not immediately. It will inoculate us against it in hopes that without a carrier (human beings) it will die on it's own. It takes a carrier to keep it alive. That's why safety precautions and extreme measures were asked of and eventually ordered to try and buy time for scientists to come up with a solution. If everyone would have participated, we wouldn't need an inoculation. The virus would have died.

If anyone dies from covid-19 that's too many. If anyone gets sick from covid-19, that's too many. An attitude of collateral damage is not a healthy attitude. "It didn't hurt me" is selfish. Look at wearing a mask, sanitizing, and social distancing in terms of fastpitch. Most everyone advocate safety gear for their girls playing the game. Many want even more equipment ordered by rules while others plead to parents to not let their daughter take the field without all the safety equipment available to them. Helmets, face masks, face masks on helmets, chin straps, heart guards, elbow protectors, fencing, padded fencing, break away bases, and safety netting. Limits on bat performance and core/compression limits on softballs. With all this common place in our game, why would you question wearing a mask, sanitizing, or social distancing so you can play the game now instead of later be an issue?

"It ain't cheatin unless you get caught" is an unhealthy mind set for any mentor to live by...........

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you on a couple of things. HS participation has grown as whole, nationwide, 1.6%. Locally. it has dropped continuously for the past 10 years. As for rec leagues, the average age of the player leaving has gone from 12.3 years of age down to 10.4. Needless to say the slowpitch SB leagues have fared far worse than FP and the numbers are not separated out so how the overall numbers are affected by each, IDK. That said, I agree with everything else said.

bredd33

Reaction score
You completely missed my point , my post was more about the level of competition in our division/section ....if anything ....due to the level of competition in almost every game , it prepared the team for title run. The section was once again loaded again last year, but as you know we did not get a chance to play. And the https://homework-writer.com/finance service I expect again for it to be an extremely tough section with no easy games. As I said , we are very fortunate to play against very good HS teams. No HS team is 100 & immune from drama. Winning does help solve some of it
I hope that you are right and level of competition would be as hard as ever

Last edited: