practices

1. Rerun

Coaches what the top 10 tips you would give players attending tryouts?

Ok Coaches what the top 10 tips you would give players attending tryouts? Here a top ten list I found do you agree? 1. Dress like a ball player. Wear softball pants; not shorts. Wear a shirt with your last name on it; not a nickname. If you don't have a shirt with your name, where something...
  2. Rerun

What’s your typical practice like?

If I was attending one of your practices what would I expect to happen as a player?
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Don't forget to work on throwing

Players form two lines facing each other about 15 - 20 feet apart. The coach flips a ball to the first player. That player throws to the player across from her. That player immediately throws the ball to the next player in line across from her. This continues until the catcher receives the ball...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy.

Quick Play - Drill Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy. Hands and Eyes Coordination. Fielding Technique, Throwing, Thrown ball and receiving Thrown ball.
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Relay throwing the ball

FIELDING: RELAY THROW DRILL Have the players line up in a line stretching to the outfield. Have the first player throw the ball to the glove side of the second player in the line. Do the same for the rest of the players. This teaches the proper location for the relay throw and also teaches...
  6. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fun drill for fielder's

Ram Game Cones are set just behind baseline and 15-20 feet apart. Coach tries to hit balls past the two fielder teams. Bobbles are OK as long as ball doesn't pass the cones. When fielders miss ball, the next team is up. Fielders can either be at same depth, or one can move closer to the...
  7. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Working on over the head balls

FIELDING: OVER-THE-HEAD DRILL Have the players line up and have one of them selected to field a ball hit over her head. Hit or throw the ball over her head and to the right or left. Make sure that she does not run with her glove up, but rather put the glove down and run to catch the ball and...
  8. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding indoor softball game

FIELDING: KNOCK OUT GAME When my team is stuck in the gym for a couple of days it's hard to keep up their interest. I do an X-out drill where the team is divided into two teams and stands on the corner of gym on opposing corners. Each coach stands on the opposite end at the corners and...
  9. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Underhand shovel toss

There are many instances where the underhand shovel toss is the proper throw for an infielder. The first baseman shovels the ball to the pitcher covering first base. The middle infielders use the underhand toss for plays around second base. As the fielder fields the ball she doesn't stand...
  10. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders FIELDING GUTS GAME work on fielding

FIELDING: GUTS GAME The girls have created their own names for this drill - guts, kill your teammate, the grounder game. Simply divide the girls into two teams. Have the teams form two lines about 40 to 60 feet apart, with players shoulder to shoulder three feet apart. Place something two feet...
  11. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Teach agressive baserunning, hitting, and fielding

FIELDING: GLOVES OFF GAME We use this drill to teach agressive baserunning, hitting, and fielding. The drill uses a whiffle ball and a plastic bat. First set the bases at about 40 feet apart. Divide your team in two. One half fields and the other bats. Fielders do not use their gloves. We want...
  12. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Get completely in front of the ball

FIELDING: FUNNEL DRILL This drill was one of the most helpful drills as a player, and now as an assistant coach. Players can do this drill after warming up their arms, with their partner. One player keeps their glove on, the other takes their glove off. The partner with the glove rolls them the...
  13. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Cross Fire working on throws from 3rd base

Cross - Fire Drill Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy. Hitting, Hands and Eyes Coordination. Fielding Technique, Throwing. Receiving Thrown ball. There is a hitter and catcher, and one or usually more fielders. I use 10 player when I do this drill. Place both hitters and Catchers...
  14. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Hitting, Fielding, Throwing, Base Running practice

FIELDING: BAT AROUND THE HORN GAME My name is Gary Shepherd. I'm a high school coach at Fox, Oklahoma. I call this drill BAT AROUND THE HORN. It works on every aspect of the game--Hitting, Fielding, Throwing, Base Running and requires two teams of 5 players. (It can be played with 6 players or...
  15. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding Drill game for Short Stop

FIELDING: BARNEY GAME I got this drill from our current Hitting Coach, Coach Burney. It is the most fun game we play and the players absolutely LOVE IT!!! You get a Barney (or any other stuffed animal, but Barney works the best because they hate him) and put him on a chair by 1st base. If you...
  16. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding and Throwing drill

Eight Ball Drill 1) Player stands shoulder width apart, puts throwing arm up at 90 degree angle, holds elbow with glove, throws ball to partner just using her wrist action. 2) Player sits with legs spread and has arm in same position only this time she can use from her elbow up and throws the...
  17. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders drill is for infielders and outfielders including pitchers and catchers

5X5 Drill Usually at the end of our practices we initiate the 5 x 5 drill. The drill is for infielders and outfielders including pitchers and catchers... Each infielders will get 5 grounders to play at their specific position..field a bunt or slap, field a grounder and turn two, field 3...
  18. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Throwing to 3rd base

CATCHER: Throwing to Third Base Helps to improve a catchers throws to third base. Equipment: Balls and catchers gear if desired. Procedure: One catcher is behind the plate, one is on the mound, and one is at second base. The pitcher throws the ball to the catcher who steps and throws to...
  19. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Throwing to first

CATCHER: Throwing to First Practices catching a pitch and throwing to first base as in a pickoff situation. One catcher is behind the plate, one on the mound and one at first base The pitcher throws the ball to the catcher, she catches it, steps and throws to first base. You may want to place...
  20. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher Quick feet

CATCHER: QUICK FEET Helps a catcher develop quick feet. Catchers assume their stance with runners on base. On command from the coach they jump with their feet so that they are facing 90 degrees to where they started. On each command they jump another 90 degrees. They never come out of their...