practicing

1. Rerun

What’s your typical practice like?

If I was attending one of your practices what would I expect to happen as a player?
  2. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders team competition practice

FIELDING: THAT GAME DRILL We have called this drill "that game" because my daughter and I don't have a name for it. You split your team into 3 teams it works well with 12 players and 2 coaches. One team goes to the outfield, one team playes the infield and the other team is up to bat. One coach...
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Cross Fire working on throws from 3rd base

Cross - Fire Drill Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy. Hitting, Hands and Eyes Coordination. Fielding Technique, Throwing. Receiving Thrown ball. There is a hitter and catcher, and one or usually more fielders. I use 10 player when I do this drill. Place both hitters and Catchers...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding and Throwing drill

Eight Ball Drill 1) Player stands shoulder width apart, puts throwing arm up at 90 degree angle, holds elbow with glove, throws ball to partner just using her wrist action. 2) Player sits with legs spread and has arm in same position only this time she can use from her elbow up and throws the...
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders drill is for infielders and outfielders including pitchers and catchers

5X5 Drill Usually at the end of our practices we initiate the 5 x 5 drill. The drill is for infielders and outfielders including pitchers and catchers... Each infielders will get 5 grounders to play at their specific position..field a bunt or slap, field a grounder and turn two, field 3...
  6. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher Quick feet

CATCHER: QUICK FEET Helps a catcher develop quick feet. Catchers assume their stance with runners on base. On command from the coach they jump with their feet so that they are facing 90 degrees to where they started. On each command they jump another 90 degrees. They never come out of their...
  7. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers teaching catchers quickness an coordination

CATCHING: CATCHER'S PADDLE DRILL I am a catcher for my high school softball team and would like to share a drill that benefitted me greatly. Have your catcher stand behind a plate in full gear. I find that this drill works best in a gym with a backstop or wall behind the catcher. Instead of...
  8. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher keeping the ball in front of you

CATCHING: PING PONG DRILL I have been catching for 2 years now and I was taught the ping pong drill last year. The catcher is in FULL gear and the coach is at least 3 feet away throwing ping pongs at the catcher. The catcher does this drill first without a glove, then with a glove. It teaches...
  9. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher throwing down to second base

A significant thing that is not stressed with catchers is the throwing mechanics when attempting to pickoff a baserunning stealing second base. A catcher should always bring their hand up to their ear and throw (of course with a snap). When a catcher throws their glove (which should be extended...
  10. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher blocking the ball

One the best drill for catchers is to set up the pitching machine at the pitchers mound and to shoot the balls into the ground just behind home plate and in front of home plate, in full gear of course. Inside drill is to tie catchers hands behind there back and throw sponge balls into the floor...
  11. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher working on the passed ball

CATCHING: BACKSTOP DRILL One thing I like to have my catchers work on is retrieving balls near the backstop and making the play at the plate. I dump a bucket of balls along the backstop behind the catcher. The catcher starts in her usual stance; the pitcher starts approximately halfway to home...
  12. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher's Checklist

A Catcher's Checklist I. Position/Setting Up Catcher positions herself arm's length from the batter. In a squat position, feet slightly wider than hips. Give a large target to the pitcher. Hold still and stay low. No runners on base, butt can rest on heels. Runners on base, butt parallel to...
  13. SoftballBomb

Catching and Catchers discussion Working with young catchers

During my years in High School I volunteer with my old youth league to help train young players. It was a great experience that I really enjoyed. I’m not really sure how I was selected as the instructor for the catchers since I played SS since I pickup my dads golf balls and try throwing them...