16u Developments Weekend of July 1; get your votes in by 9:00 Tuesday night

If the Explosives could post even a handwritten bracket through their web site, that would be a big help as some of the teams in this season's weekly versions of the poll were playing there. I have given a partial summary of what I know about the tournament on the Fireworks and Frenzy thread.

Would like to know more about results/participation in Colorado. A brief aside: There are three major events being played in Colorado. The most prestigious and the only one I know to be a true invitational, is the Independence Day tournament run out of Boulder, with a recently added division in Louisville. Triple Crown runs the other two: the Firecracker and the Sparkler. Roger has referred to the Firecracker as an Invitational, but with the exception of a "Power Pool" that has recently been created for the Firecracker, I'm under the possibly mistaken impression that this tournament is first come first served. I think that the Sparkler is also first come first served. It has several divisions, including a Power Pool, an 18u Open, a 16u Open, and then several sub-divisions.

I believe Lasers Scarlet was playing at the Sparkler event in Colorado in the 18u Open division and placed 2nd. If it was a different 18u Open division, maybe someone can clarify that. In any event, whatever the division, I can't see Lasers Scarlet being moved off of the #1 spot.

I'm not sure whether Ohio had any teams playing in any of the tournaments in Colorado.

Was Doom 95 playing this weekend? How about any of the others who have already qualified to go to USA/ASA Nationals?

As for the one team I know everything about, Buckeye Heat 95 went 6-2 at Explosives with pool wins over McMadness Red and Championship Fastpitch (and it must be noted that in this tournament pool wins had no impact on bracket seeding). We then beat the NEO Crush, lost a very well-played game to Explosive Black (4-3), beat NEO Phoenix in the losers bracket, beat the Vipers 8-3 in a great game whose score doesn't indicate how close and exciting the game really was, beat the Maddogs 7-5 and then lost 10-7 in another back-and-forth game with the Lasers Silver, who posted an impressive 5 runs in the top of the 7th. Positive experience for the Buckeye Heat in another weekend of competition against high quality teams, but not enough success to get our name on my ballot for this week.

Give those of us who vote as much information as you can on the teams that you think are worthy of the top ten list.

It looks like both the Fireworks and Sparkler had a "Power Pool" thing, but everyone goes into the same boat for bracket play in each. The Worth Firecrackers won Fireworks, as usual, as they belong in Boulder but never go there for some reason.

As far as prestige, Independence Day (Boulder) is the definite #1. Fireworks and Louisville (a section of the Independence Day for teams that can't quite make Boulder) would be roughly tied for #2 and then Sparkler is a distant fourth. Fireworks is a true invitational, with many teams receiving rejections. I would estimate winning Fireworks or Louisville would be equivalent to winning a Stingrays tournament, but with more teams. Actually with the Worth Firecrackers always being in Fireworks, it would be harder to win that tournament than Stingrays or Louisville.

One way to think of it would be to say Boulder is high NCAA Div. I, Fireworks and Louisville are low NCAA Div. I and Sparkler is a mix of Div. II and many Div. III/NAIA.

Thanks JoeA for the clarification that teams get rejected from Fireworks even though their applications were timely. I was pretty sure that was the case before Triple Crown took over the tournament but I couldn't find anything on the Triple Crown internet pages to make the point that Fireworks as now run by Triple Crown is different than Sparkler as now run by Triple Crown.

Ok, I have praised our Sapphires 16u in the best of times, now I will face the music ... we got roughed up at Best of Best, lol. Friday was like a Hangover from the solid ASA States weekend, we played bad and went 0-3 against Ice Blue 18u, Wolfpack Wolff 18u, and Roadrunners Elite 18u .... the Roadrunners game was the first of the day that we even played well, but losing 7-4.

On Saturday, we led Stingrays Morman 18u 6-4 going into 7th and let the lead slip away in tying 6-6 (congrats to Stingrays TD Rudy Zych whose dd got the 2 out 2-run hit), and then led Miamisburg Sting 18u 6-5 going into the 7th and lost the game 7-6 on a series of infield hits and funky bounces (which certainly count!). We were 0-4-1 in Pool Play.

Bracket ... The good news, we mercied a Valley Extreme 16u team in the first bracket game, and then got sent home in the next bracket game by tournament champion Buckeye Heat-Haas 18u 2-1, after, yes, again leading 1-0 in the 6th inning. Also, 4 of the teams in our Pool were still alive when we went home, and 5 (including us) made it to Sunday's play. So, we really faced "the best of the best" or something close to it, at 18u.

All in all, disappointing record, we didn't expect to win it, but we did expect to play better in the early part of the tournament. Of the 5 16u teams there, we only played one of them the rest was 18u. I think we got good growth out of it, and the players know they can at least "compete" with the better 18u teams, and win if they don't let down. So, a mixed bag ... not impressive in the scorebooks, but we were happy as coaches at the end of the weekend with the wake-up call, and turnaround. First time I have cooked out at home on Sunday afternoon, in a long long time .... and I REALLY nailed the ribs this time! mmmmmmmm :D

P.S. - oh, btw, the Best of the Best was excellent, highly recommend it in the future. Wolfpack has a little exprience putting on tournaments, and drawing colleges ... lots of colleges, about sames as States this year, possibly more colleges. Congrats to Buckeye Heat-Haas 18u on the championship, great hitting line-up, deep pitching, and pretty nice folks.

Thanks for the update Pickle. Doesn't sound to me like anything that knocks you out of the top ten unless we hear something amazing coming in from more than one other team not on the list.

From Coach Murph on the Explosives thread:

"Congrats to Valley Extreme - we played them in pool play and it was a great game. Was hoping to play Silver and twice it should have happened but wasn't in the cards. Was very impressed with Outlaws, Silver, the Buckeye Heats, Mad Dogs and Hurricanes. Our girls played well all weekend but like many of us, one bad inning vs. the Hurricanes put us in losers bracket. Then a great game vs. the Outlaws that went two ITB innings."

It should be noted that Championship Fastpitch stayed in the Winner's bracket a long time, which is a skill in and of itself. Don't see them dropping off the top ten.

Was Miami Valley Express playing this weekend? Tidal Waves? Would Buckeye Heat 94 post a summary of their games this weekend at Explosives? HoO Explosion results?

The more information the better.

From Valley Extreme Heverly on the Strongsville post:

"CGS,

Cant give you all the bracket info just what I personally watched. Hurricanes beat Championship fastpitch 6-2 i believe, Valley Extreme beat the Hurricanes 13_0. Then the outlaws beat Championship fastpitch. The outlaws then lost to lasers silver in a very exciting game with both teams laying it on the line. The lasers then beat the Hurricanes in a barn burner with the game going to itb. Valley Extreme beat the lasers in the championship which finally ended close to midnight.. Good competition and good games to watch and play in all weekend."

Valley Extreme Heverly sure has a claim to a top ten spot as do Hurricanes. I'm not even sure how I will vote at this point. Those last 2-3 spots will be tough decisions.

And Classics Black finishing 2nd in the combined 16u/18u Best of the Bets should make them a lock for the top half of the top ten.

Fun stuff. Vote if you are a coach so we can get more varied input on all these fine teams.

that was the Classics Black 18U not 16U @ Best of Best.

From Valley Extreme Heverly on the Strongsville post:

"CGS,

Cant give you all the bracket info just what I personally watched. Hurricanes beat Championship fastpitch 6-2 i believe, Valley Extreme beat the Hurricanes 13_0. Then the outlaws beat Championship fastpitch. The outlaws then lost to lasers silver in a very exciting game with both teams laying it on the line. The lasers then beat the Hurricanes in a barn burner with the game going to itb. Valley Extreme beat the lasers in the championship which finally ended close to midnight.. Good competition and good games to watch and play in all weekend."

Valley Extreme Heverly sure has a claim to a top ten spot as do Hurricanes. I'm not even sure how I will vote at this point. Those last 2-3 spots will be tough decisions.

And Classics Black finishing 2nd in the combined 16u/18u Best of the Bets should make them a lock for the top half of the top ten.

Fun stuff. Vote if you are a coach so we can get more varied input on all these fine teams.

Pretty sure that was an 18u Classics team at Best of Best, perhaps the Classics Black team that was such a monster as older 16u last year?? The 16u Classics Black was not listed as one of the five 16u teams at Best of Best, plus I noticed one of their 16u pitchers hanging out in street clothes, casually, taking in the games. Could be wrong, but don't think so?

@pickledad and Run26:

Thanks for the correction. And it is consistent with the fact that Statman Ray has been posting about the Best of the Best tournament. I just figured that once Classics Black 16u qualified, they found a way into Best of the Best.

So does anyone know whether Classics Black 16u played this last weekend?

It looks like both the Fireworks and Sparkler had a "Power Pool" thing, but everyone goes into the same boat for bracket play in each. The Worth Firecrackers won Fireworks, as usual, as they belong in Boulder but never go there for some reason.

The winners of the power pools play each other in a televised game. This year's game was televised Thursday on CBS Sports Network and was a rematch between FC (Fireworks) and Gold Coast Hurricanes (Sparkler). FC turned the tables this year after GCH beat them last year.

Firecrackers do not play Boulder due to a sponsor conflict - Worth and Louisville Slugger.

As far as prestige, Independence Day (Boulder) is the definite #1. Fireworks and Louisville (a section of the Independence Day for teams that can't quite make Boulder) would be roughly tied for #2 and then Sparkler is a distant fourth. Fireworks is a true invitational, with many teams receiving rejections. I would estimate winning Fireworks or Louisville would be equivalent to winning a Stingrays tournament, but with more teams. Actually with the Worth Firecrackers always being in Fireworks, it would be harder to win that tournament than Stingrays or Louisville.

For those not familiar, Louisville was added last year as a way for teams to qualify for Boulder the following year - top 6 teams get spots.

I'm going to keep plugging our Montgomery County Hammers team in these threads because I feel they deserve to at least be mentioned.

First and foremost, we only have one 16 year old on the roster. Second, we are relatively an unknown in many parts of the state. We have tried to play in some showcase tournaments, but couldn't get an invite to some of the bigger tourneys. Maybe next year that will change.

Our record is now 26-6-2 on the year.
Our resume includes:
4th place at the Dayton Metro.
3rd seed in the Capitol City Showdown (top 2 advanced to play in single game for championship) 42 team field.
2nd place finish, with top seed in our bracket in the 3 ump showdown in Cincy. (no tournament on Sunday as it was rained out. HOH Explosion received 1st place for run differential)
1st place finish this past weekend at the West Liberty Fireworks Blowout Tournament.
Notable teams we've played:
Lost to Lasers Silver 6-5
Lost to Lasers Scarlet 12-2
Beat Buckeye Heat 94 3-2
Lost to Bambinos (Indy) 7-3

Buckeye Heat 94
Pool Play
Jacksonville Jags Won 11-0
Laser Silver Lost 3-2 Great game , Gave up three runs in the last inning
Bracket play
McMadness White Lost 4-2
Explosive Pink Won 8-0
Diamond Dogs Won 9-3
Outlaws Lost 0-3 Second loss to them and they are getting my vote this week. They have a very good pitcher.

Championship Fastpitch

Bracket play
Beat Vipers - 13-4
Beat Madness - 11-1
Beat Mad dogs - 6-5
Lost to Hurricanes - 8-2 maybe? felt worse - hit the wall - isn't why we lost but the worst umpired game I can ever remember......... long story
Lost to Outlaws 5-4 - nice team - we were up 3-0 and let it slip away and had to scramble to get into ITB

Just a question (as I have not followed a lot of the 16u).

The Chain Reaction 95 team has won two state tournaments (Southern and Northern USSSA States) yet they haven't been mentioned.

Why do you think this is?

Just a question (as I have not followed a lot of the 16u).

The Chain Reaction 95 team has won two state tournaments (Southern and Northern USSSA States) yet they haven't been mentioned.

Why do you think this is?

Catalyst,

Probably for the simple reason that you mentioned - playing USSSA. Maybe it's because they are planning on playing 15U nationals? They haven't attended any of the top ASA tournaments this year including all qualifiers. I don't believe they are @ Stingrays this weekend either.

In order to get mentioned you have to mix it up in the good tournaments and IMO they haven't done that this year.

Agree - got to play in the big tournies. There is a lot of parity in 16u and some really good teams. Hard to measure yourself if you are not playing in them.

Run26

Exactly. Just looked at some tournaments they have been in for the most part well

below average talent. To be considered a big dog you gotta run with them :)