20 second rule

A pitcher on a team takes between 20 and 30 seconds to throw her pitch from the time she receives the throw back from the catcher. I'm pretty sure the USSSA rule is she must throw her pitch within 20 seconds of receiving the throw back. Is there a difference in ASA or other sanctions?

ASA and high school are both 20 seconds, starting from when the pitcher receives the ball (if during a live ball) or once the umpire makes the ball live again (following a dead ball). The penalty is a ball to the batter (not an illegal pitch- there's no advancement of baserunners on this infraction).

Are you sure the pitcher is taking between 20-30 seconds? That sounds excessive. I know that a pitcher standing there for even close to 20 seconds can seem like an eternity. If a pitcher is taking her time I'll start a silent count in my head. Even with pitchers that are taking their time- enough to have the other coach complain about it- I still can't remember a time where a pitcher didn't pitch it before hitting 16-18 seconds. That really seems like a long time with somebody just standing there doing nothing!

If the pitcher is truly taking in excess of 20 seconds, the umpire should address it by enforcing the rule. You just have to make extra certain that the rule is actually being violated before you do.

Yes, it was 20-30 seconds. I was getting frustrated (and bored!) waiting for her to pitch so I started to time her with my watch. I timed seven pitches and the shortest time was 17 seconds, the longest was 28 seconds. No one on either side said anything. I brought it up with the coach after the game and he said that she was taught to be "deliberate" while in the circle. He also said she got 20 seconds from the time she stepped on the pitcher's plate. (which I knew was wrong).

Thanks for the info.

The batter has 10 seconds to get in the box. The pitcher has 20 seconds to pitch. Rule 6.1.e the pitcher shall bring the hands together for not less than one second and not more than ten seconds before releasing it. So if the pitcher get the ball the clock starts, she steps on the rubber 3 or 4 seconds. Looks in for the signal 3 or 4 seconds, brings her hands together anywhere fron 1 to 10 seconds. By rule the batter can not call time at this point because the pitcher has the right to 10 seconds. Bad umpires (which there seem to be a lot of) wrongly grant time (and then the merry go round starts).

The umpire is the problem. If you see this in the future tell the umpire Rule 6.1.e. Once she brings her hands together she can pause up to 10 seconds.

By rule the batter can not call time at this point because the pitcher has the right to 10 seconds. Bad umpires (which there seem to be a lot of) wrongly grant time (and then the merry go round starts).

A batter can request time anytime she wants to. She isn't automatically going to have it granted and she doesn't have time just because she verbally requests it, raises a hand or steps out of the box.

There's no rule preventing the umpire from granting a request for time in this situation. He may, at his discretion. What umpires are instructed not to do is grant excesssive time outs if they are delaying the game.

If the pitcher is taking "longer than usual" (his judgment) then a batter's request for time may be granted in this case. As a matter of good game mangement, this should not be done excessively or to the point where the game is being delayed. If it gets to that point then the umpire should remind the players of their responsibilities, ignore excessive requests for time and then apply any penalties as necessary for violating these rules.

A batter can request time anytime she wants to. She isn't automatically going to have it granted and she doesn't have time just because she verbally requests it, raises a hand or steps out of the box.

There's no rule preventing the umpire from granting a request for time in this situation. He may, at his discretion. What umpires are instructed not to do is grant excesssive time outs if they are delaying the game.

If the pitcher is taking "longer than usual" (his judgment) then a batter's request for time may be granted in this case. As a matter of good game mangement, this should not be done excessively or to the point where the game is being delayed. If it gets to that point then the umpire should remind the players of their responsibilities, ignore excessive requests for time and then apply any penalties as necessary for violating these rules.

OK then the umpire will give the pitcher the 1 to 10 seconds in the rules. Wouldn't it make sense to apply the rule in the beginning?

USSSA is 20 seconds after getting the ball back and 10 after hitting the rubber

K. Once the ball has been returned to the pitcher, the pitcher has 20 seconds to release
the next pitch, "after the Umpire says play".​
Penalty: Dead ball; a ball on the batter

ohioquakerman does the batter have 10 seconds to get in the box like asa? Does the pitcher have to put her hands together for 1 to 10 seconds like asa?

DD found that out the hard way in a tourney last season. My dd draws a cross before each at bat. Well, she forgot to this at bat. Pitcher was taking her time (using that 1-10 sec rule quite effectively), so dd decides to draw that cross since the pitcher wasn't firing right away. Pitcher fired one in for a strike. :eek: was the expression on her face. She looked at the ump, and he kindly told her, you didn't ask time, and that was a smart play on the pitcher.

I've told individuals and the entire team several times to ask for "time, please?" as a way of showing Blue that we understand it is at Blue's discretion. Now ask me if the players do that . . . :(.

Have had one umpire tell us that at the older ages we need to ask for time during the player's set-up (measuring off from plate) or the pitcher can legally pitch the ball before the hitter is in position. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've told individuals and the entire team several times to ask for "time, please?" as a way of showing Blue that we understand it is at Blue's discretion. Now ask me if the players do that . . . :(.

Have had one umpire tell us that at the older ages we need to ask for time during the player's set-up (measuring off from plate) or the pitcher can legally pitch the ball before the hitter is in position. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Batter must ask for time during set up, otherwise pitcher has legal right to fire the ball in there. Since that time, dd has had her hand up everytime time.

My daughter cracks me up everytime she gets in the box. She puts up her hand...toward the pitcher...and sets up. I told her that she should put her hand up toward the umpire but she still does it the same way each time.

I believe in ASA at least, the pitcher has to give the batter time to get set in the box and i imagine that is the umpire's discretion. I know in school ball one of our rivals in GWOC has a pitcher that attempts to throw so the ball crosses the plate as the batter's front foot touches the ground...and some umps allow it...

That is not the rule. There is a rule (ASA, NSA & NFHS) that states the pitcher has up to 10 seconds. I know some umps give time, but they are wrong.

brownsfan:

This ump told us that merely putting her hand up was not sufficient during her set-up. According to him, she has to ask for and receive a statement of time from the ump.

Serene:

I've go to say you've got great courage in your convictions if you are going to challenge Bretman on the rules. :cool:

cgs and crystle, read it for yourself ASA Section 6.1.e.
I'll agree with Brettman that the umpire may give it, but again, the umpire by rule 6.1.e is wrong.

Giving time is not an automatic thing after the batter reaches the box.

Lazy umpires are the umpires who don't allow the batter to get set in her first intial set up. Put your hands up and hold the pitcher until batter gets set.

The pitcher can use that 10 seconds to change the flow of the game. Pitching at three seconds one time.. six seconds another.. even nine seconds another... I am on the pitcher's side here. That is a stragety here and why the rule is in place.

I never give time to the batter when the pitcher hits the pitcher's plate. NEVER. Pitcher has ten seconds to throw the ball is the bottom line here.

Unless, a bee is flying around her or a swirl of dust ;)

I mean.. don't pitchers throw junk and a fastball mix so to fool the batter on timing ???

Then why would you take that away from her with a 10 second rule that is in place for her to abide by and skirt around with.

Hitting is about timing... and pitching is as well.