Catching and Catchers discussion 9u catchers mitt

We are starting a new 9u team. What size catchers mitt do you get, or is it ok to just use your regular glove?

My DD had a 32" Mizuno GXC102 catcher's mitt. It was soft, had a power close, and a broken-in feel, which made it nice for her to start out with - plus I think I only paid $40 for it.

Personally, we wanted our DD to get used to a catcher's mitt, though I saw a lot of girls that age just using the regular glove. We also didn't want to go too expensive, as she would be growing out of it - or even deciding not to play that spot anymore.

My DD used either a 31 or 32 at 10U...her coach wanted her to use her glove and I wanted her to use her mit because it was better made for blocking. I am not a bad parent but I was stubborn about this.

When my DD was that age we had her use a old worn out (very soft) baseball catcher's mit. Easy to use and smaller ball fits just fine.

She can use her fielders glove until you are sure that she is really interested in being a catcher. If she is, than make sure you get one that is soft and pre-broken and like they said above...I wouldn't go much bigger than a 31 or 32. At that age they are still relatively weak, especially in their hands, and won't be able to squeeze the tougher leather. They will outgrow it quick so don't spend too much money on it. Make sure it's comfortable and soft enough that she can squeeze it without too much effort.

Save your money!
I have a 1 yr used Wilson a740, small hand size 31" catchers mitt. Pay the shipping or pick it up and its your for free!
shoot me a pm!

Now that's a deal, I'd jump on it!!! Very nice offer WCYSL. :)