Catchers Gear

DAZL

Reaction score
My daughter is looking to buy new catchers gear. Anyone have any suggestions as to brand? We are currently looking at Rawlings and Schutt. Do not want to spend an arm and a leg but would like to get something that will last her several years.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Both are fine, don't get caught up in overspending, depending on her age and growth, she should get three years out of a set. Make sure knee cap is still covered when she drops to her knees. Get a lightweight helmet that she can look upwards easily as there is no reason to toss one off ever..... Don't let a coach tell you she needs to toss it off, a hockey goalie can see 108 mph black disc, she can find a round optic green ball with it on......

flyer59

Reaction score
My daughter loves her Mizuno samurai catchers gear (made for the female athlete). Very durable going on four years. She doesn't want anything else, didn't really like the Easton she had to use in high school.

wadad

Reaction score
She will quickly wear and grow out of her chest and shin gear... I highly recommend a QUALITY helmet..Mine loves her Diamond helmet. Other catches that I have talked to loves theres as well.

Westler33

Reaction score
My daughter loves her Mizuno samurai catchers gear (made for the female athlete). Very durable going on four years. She doesn't want anything else, didn't really like the Easton she had to use in high school.

I agree my DD loves here Samurai gear but she likes the Easton helmet better than the Mizuno because it is lighter and a little smaller. Let her try it on because some times a matching set is not what is the best. This brand helmet and that brand shin guards might be what is the most comfortable to her and offer the best protection.

Shane

Reaction score
Both are fine, don't get caught up in overspending, depending on her age and growth, she should get three years out of a set. Make sure knee cap is still covered when she drops to her knees. Get a lightweight helmet that she can look upwards easily as there is no reason to toss one off ever..... Don't let a coach tell you she needs to toss it off, a hockey goalie can see 108 mph black disc, she can find a round optic green ball with it on......

What a great point Hilliarddad3, my DD's catching instructor preaches to keep the helmet on and her club coach tells her to get rid of it, DD and I just smile at one another.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Shane how many times have you seen a kid toss the mask not far enough away, get spun around finding the ball and trip over mask? No reason, just keep it on and practice the pop ups regularly behind them.......

17smom

Reaction score
My daughter has had her Diamond iX3 set for two years and absolutely loves the gear. It's lightweight and durable. She's really hard on her stuff. Between games, practices, lessons, and private work, she catches a ton every week year-round and it still has lots of life left. I was considering getting her a new helmet, just for safety sake, but discovered I could just get new pads. She had a lot of foul balls to the mask this year, so I'll probably do that, but we've had no issues - it's just something I want to do. The chest pad and shin guards are for women. I will say that she's had two sets of the Samurai gear in the past. The first set was awesome with no issues. The second set starting fraying and shredding within just a few months of use. May have been a fluke, because the first set was so good, but let's just say I didn't get any help from customer service on it. Amber ended up liking the Diamond gear better anyway and after searching around online I found a good deal for the set comparable to the price of the Samurai....but that was also two years ago. Not sure what it goes for now.

Good luck...new gear is always fun! :)

Shane

Reaction score
Shane how many times have you seen a kid toss the mask not far enough away, get spun around finding the ball and trip over mask? No reason, just keep it on and practice the pop ups regularly behind them.......

I agree 100% with you Hilliarddad3