Catching and Catchers discussion catchers mitt ~ advice

My DD is 12. The first mitt we purchased was a youth and "easy to break in" it is now too flimsy and possibly too small for the 12" ball. Can anyone offer advice in purchasing a mitt? Should it be 33" or 32.5", youth or adult, closed or open web .. does cost dictate quality? Is it good to use sprays to break it in or just keep catching balls with it?

I used the Akadema all the way through my ball career,, its the best for female catchers... if its a bit to big right now, stick a palm guard under it. You can get those pretty cheap.

"The first mitt we purchased was a youth and "easy to break in" it is now too flimsy and possibly too small for the 12" ball."

The "flimsiness" can be fixed by either tightening the laces or replacing them with new ones. I do this service on a mail order or drop-off basis (I'm in Columbus) and you can email me at the address on my profile.

The size of the old glove- that I can't do anything about! But the old glove can be restored to give you several more years of service, used by mom or dad in practice, handed down to a sibling or kept in the bat bag as a back-up mitt.

"Can anyone offer advice in purchasing a mitt?"

My advice is to ignore what someone else tells you is "the best" glove for your child. A glove is a highly personal piece of equipment that should be comfortable to the player using it and inspire confidence in their fielding abilities.

Get to as many sporting goods stores as you can and try on as many different gloves as possible. Find one that fits THE PLAYER and feels comfirtable to HER.

Whichever mitt you choose, try gripping a ball with it to get an idea if it will be big enough. You might want to look for gloves that are ergonomically designed to better fit a female hand.

So you find a mitt that fits well, is comfortable and your daughter loves it. What then?

Well, you can plunk down the cash and take it home, but if you're not in any hurry you can almost always save some bucks by shopping for the same model of mitt on the internet. And don't forget eBay! There are hundreds of deals there on new- and used- gloves and mitts.

"Does cost dictate quality?"

Generally, yes. The more expensive gloves will use all-leather construction and the quality and thickness of the leather will be greater than the cheaper gloves. So, yes, the $150 catcher's mitt will be more sturdily constructed and more durable than the $75 catcher's mitt.

But there again, maybe the $75 mitt is the one that feels most comfortable to the player! Even a mid-priced glove will last for many seasons if it is properly cared for. Keep the glove clean, dry, stored in moderate temperatures and keep the laces properly tensioned and the glove could outlast your daughter's playing career!

What I have found is that amongst the various manufacturers, once you hit a certain price range the quality of the gloves will be about the same. For example, a $150 Nokona glove is just as good as a $150 Mizuno, or Rawlings, or Easton or whatever. The only differences will be the personal preferences of the individual player wearing the glove.

"Is it good to use sprays to break it in or just keep catching balls with it?"

Here again, the break-in method used will be up to the taste of the individual. There are almost as many ways to break-in a glove as their are people breaking-in gloves!

Some break-in methods will get the glove soft fast, but might be damaging to the leather in the long run. Be a bit more gentle and a careful break-in can prolong the life of the leather.

Catching and catching and catching balls is perhaps the best method. Then, when you're done doing that- go catch some more!

But this method can be slow, especially on the more expensive gloves with thicker materials. I have had the best results breaking-in gloves by using leather conditioner which is lanolin based. Lanolin is one of the absolute best treatments for leather gloves.

Use small amounts, concentrating your efforts on the natural hinges of the glove. Better two light coats than one heavy one. Don't over-saturate the glove! It's best to apply the conditioner to a sponge or clean rag, then wipe that on the glove instead of heaping the conditioner directly on the glove. Wipe off any excess and allow the conditioner to absorb overnight before applying the next coat.

Good luck finding that new glove!

As a catcher, I prefer the Nokona Catchers Mitt made out of free range Buffalo Hide. These gloves can be a bit pricey.. . But will last a lifetime...

As for breaking gloves in, Playing catch over and over again is the best method.. The Nokona gloves do take a long time to break in due to the material it is made with, but after you have broke it in, you will be pleased with the results..

I hope you find the perfect glove for DD

We better give good advice. "Heck" hath no fury like a Mad Mom in a Minivan!

Mad Mom, My DD has a Nokona and she loves it very much. The person who responed to you Bretman whose DD used to play and has been an umpire for years also does glove repairs as a hobby. He is reconditioning her glove as we speak. I can't wait to see his work. Good luck in your search. Nokona #1

And it's coming along great! Though I suspect that if you saw it right now you would just about faint. It is completely disassembled, lying here in two halves- front and back- with every single lace removed and all of the inner padding sprawled across my workbench.

I just got done cutting the extra padding that I'm going to add to the palm. All the new laces are here and ready to go!

I expect to have it finished on Friday night, so I'll be able to get it to you on Saturday as we discussed.

Those Nakonas are sweet catcher's mitts!

Thanks Bretman, Can't wait,she will be using it Sunday. See you soon.

Jon

Bretmans advice about the lanolin is very good but sometimes hard to find in a high concentration. Oil makes a glove heavy over time. We found some stuff called "Glove Lugey" probably not the right spelling but while expensive, it did a great job.

Nokona all the way!! Just don't get frustrated when it won't break in right away!!!

As usual, Bretman offers great advice:
"Can anyone offer advice in purchasing a mitt?"

My advice is to ignore what someone else tells you is "the best" glove for your child. A glove is a highly personal piece of equipment that should be comfortable to the player using it and inspire confidence in their fielding abilities.

Get to as many sporting goods stores as you can and try on as many different gloves as possible. Find one that fits THE PLAYER and feels comfirtable to HER.
Also, whenever you have the opportunity, ask an experienced catcher to try on her glove, and ask what she likes or doesn't like about it.

Our DD's more expensive C mitt usually stays in her bag while she still favors an old, $50 1B mitt -- argues that it gives her far better control for the strong drop pitchers.

The best 18u Catcher we know does an outstanding job with a $75 glove.

Agreed, the Akadema and Nikona are both excellent gloves - but very different. ?One could argue for the more easily broken in (and considerably less expensive) Akadema (which is obviously designed for fastpitch), vis-a-vis the Nikona being so sturdy that break-in is very tough.

Best wishes to your 12 yr old!

Envying you with a 12u and hopefully many enjoyable years of fastpitch ahead, I offer that ?Bretman's advice also applies to the other inevitable question for a young fastpitcher. ?While I appreciate the almost cult dedication to the Rocket Tech bat, you will also see some very long and hard hit balls coming off Stealths, Catalysts, Synergy, or whatever, and off other bats you might find on e-bay or close-out for less than $100.

The question is, ?What feels best to your DD?? (and your budget!)

Whats wrong with a first basemans type. I find that it is easier to handle and does not have the thicker sides. It helps the girls handle balls in the dirt easier. With the thicker sides, some balls are mishandled