Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher's Mitt - What size?/what type web?

I have a 13 year-old daughter and I am trying to purchase her a new mitt. Can't find what we want at the local retail stores so I'm thinking of purchasing from the internet. Question, I see different brands described as 32", 32.5", 33" & 34" (circumference).... is 34" too big for a girl this age or is there a reason to consider a smaller glove? Also, I see mitts with closed webs and with open "H Bar" type webs. I'm thinking the H bar type would be slightly lighter and easier to break in but is there a reason to consider the closed type?

Thanks

I know there is a more correct way to do this, but with my dd I put the largest mitt on her that she is comfortable with and can work comfortably with. My luck with the H bar open web is I have to keep replacing lacing on the bars. These are supposed to be quality mitts. But also they get a pounding between pitching lessons with older dd and pitchers on her teams. Have not had problem with the closed web design. Also if you buy cheap you get cheap. Just my 2 cents.
:cool:

I agree with Evil in getting the largest mitt (pocket) that is comfortable and that your DD can control (i.e. open and close). ?I don't have any experience with the H bar open web design, have been comfortable with the closed, but what you say about breaking in and weight makes sense. ?Seems like Evil is happy overall with the H. ?My only concern would be purchasing over the internet since your DD has no way to try different kinds on and get a feel for what she likes best. ?As a former catcher, how the glove felt and fit my hand was most important. ?If you can get to a larger sports equipment distributor, I'd go and have her try on as many mitts as needed until she finds the right "fit". ?I think buying anything over the internet that involves sizing is just risky, unless you have had first hand experience with the product and know exactly what you want. ?JMHO ?:) ?

Thanks guys,

I'd prefer that she try something on but I"m getting worn out trying to find a retailer in the Cincinnati/Dayton area that carries a mid to higher end glove specifically for fastpitch (guess I forgot to mention I was looking for a female's mitt). I'd be willing to travel farther if I knew of a good source I guess. Was leaning toward a larger size, just can't find good ones to try on.

We're in a similar situation to Evil Dad .. DD catches older sister at lessons & our practices, also takes catching lessons & does drills at home and catches girls on her travel team after practice. She needs and deserves a quality mitt.

I agree that the largest mitt that she is comfortable with is the way to go. As far as what brand, Nokona makes an awesome glove. They are pricy but worth every cent. I am also partial to the Rawlings Fp mitts, they break in real nice. Dick's is actually carrying the upper line type gloves now, it may be worth the try. Good luck with your search.

The other thing you can do is talk to other catchers and see if you can try their gloves. See if she can get just a couple of throws with it At least you can feel for the mitt and get brand and models of some other gloves. ?We have used Akedemas, Wilsons, Franklins, dd is currently using a Mizuno and she likes it, although the pockets seems a little smaller than I would like but it fits her hand nicely, we are still breaking this one in. ?The Akedema we bought I thought the padding was way too thin and did not last long either. Ended up buying online also for same reasons, unable to find the mitts at the stores.

:cool:I'm thinking that the reason some mitts are made with the open web would be the same reason that infielder's gloves are made that way--for a quicker release. DD has a rather nondescript Louisville open web mitt that I paid $25 for at a small store on route 130 near Penn Township in sw PA--4 Seasons Sports. They had, at the time at least 4 different fp catcher's mitts, none of them similar to what stores like Dick's sells. She tried them all on, including this huge closed web Rawlings mitt, and liked the Louisville. The price tag was a bonus ;D

At our lesson last night, DD's catching coach recommended a closed web. Set he felt it maintains it's structure better & durability over time. Based on his feedback and suggestions from this thread, I guess I'm leaning that way now ... if DD feels is comfortable with it that is.

Tried Dicks ... no Nokonas ... in fact, only found two FP mitts, one $49 Easton and one $69 Louisville.

:)SouthpawsPa--if you're from the greater Pgh area, 4 Seasons Sporting Goods is on route 130 between Penn Township and Trafford. It's a small store--sells a lot of school team uniform stuff and hunting stuff, but they have a decent selection of fp mitts AND $2 Easton Incrediballs by the garbage can-full (if you don't mind them being an off-white color). ?Wish they had a website or some info in our Yellow Pages... I'll keep looking... :-[
;DFOUND IT! 724-744-3600
Located on route 130 in Harrison City ;D

:) :) Try Steve Stiggler or Scott Lawson at Sports of All Sorts. They will help you out. Can order one if you can't find one at the store.

Gary

I bought a nokana 10 years ago. awesome glove, breaking time was almost nothing. Closed pocket and as big as you can get. The catchers on my teams that didn't have their own yet use mine and love it (even more thena their own when they get one). I priced them new @ $169 ouch I'm sure there are quality cheaper ones but when I finally wear this one out I'm getting another

Thanks Pitchersdad6, tried Stiiggy's the other day, nothing on the rack, told me they didn't stock much anymore. :( Was hoping to find something that she could try-on before buying. Saw one highend mitt at Kattus Sports, a Worth Liberty @ $169, overpriced and kinda flashy IMO, but still a nice glove.

David, haven't found a Nokona yet, I know it's a good glove & probably worth the money in the long run.

Haven't been to Koch's downtown or Extra Innings in Dayton. Probably will give them a try next.

Lots of baseball stuff out there ... not much for FP :(

SouthpasPa, Nokonas are very hard to come by right now. Their plant burnt down last summer and everything is back-ordered until June. Dick's and Duham's Sports (N.E OH) had a limited supply of them, I know a pink and 11.5 fp glove and one catchers mitt model. I found a company in Kansas City that has some Nokonas: Just Ball Gloves 1-866-321-4568. Paid a little extra for it, but I believe worth it. Hope this helps.

There was a guy at Thuinderplex a few weeks ago. The glove doctor. He had a new one. I'm a little nervous now. I gave him mine to repair a hole that wore through it. I don't have his number either and wish I did. Can someone help me out?

I got this from another post, somewhere on this site..........

Mike Wilkinson "The Glove Doctor"
474 Scoville Drive
Vienna, Ohio 44473
330-856-4899
glovdocm@aol.com