Catcher's mitt

Newtofast

Reaction score
My DD is 7. She right now is catching slowpitch with a fielder glove. She wants a catcher's mitt and I would like to get her one for the next season but I have been told she won't be able to manipulate it correctly. Most of the girls use fielder mitts around here to catch. Any advice? Thank you all for being so helpful. I feel like I am drowning. My DD is so loving this and has shown to have some natural ability. I want to be able to give her all I can but have no idea where to begin. The softball world has changed so much since I played 20 years ago.

mroby5172

Reaction score
My daughter has been using a Mizuno 32.5 catchers mitt for the last 2 years, she is currently 9. no problems at all.

Newtofast

Reaction score
Great. Any tips on teaching her how to use it correctly. We don't have much as per help in this area.

mroby5172

Reaction score
a lot of catcher training videos on you tube....good luck

Reaction score
My DD has caught for several years and the best advice I have is find one she likes first. My DD uses and Mizuno for 3rd base and a Worth behind the plate and she will not vere from it. Being that she is only 7 start with a 31.5" as she is probably pretty little. Weight of the glove is important as she will have to control of it which can be difficult if it is too big for her. Buy a moderately good glove as when the pitching gets better she will be greatfull. You get what you pay for. Keep in mind she will catch at least 100 pitches every game she will play, more than any other player on the field, so the a good glove is worth it.

Newtofast

Reaction score
I have heard there is a store in Columbus that she can go to and try them on. See what she likes. I am hoping to take her there and give her the opportunity to get a feel for one. Being new I am hoping someone with some experience will be able to help her. Thanks for the great advice!

wow

Reaction score
Make sure you get a double break glove. The single breaks are for BB. Nokona makes the best for the money. Take a look at ebay as well.