Did this warrant being relieved?

My daugher was to play on a tournamnet team this spring/summer. They started practices last Sunday. Due to a prior softball commmitment we were unable to make last weeks practice and told the coach. They were ok with this. Yesterday, due to a family emergency, life and death....we were once again unable to make practice. We were at the hospital, where we had been for over 30 hours. After being up and at the hospital I came home last night to notify the coach as to what had happened and why we were not there. I have received an email stating that because we had not been there, they have let my daughter go! Should i have left my siblings beside, who's life still hangs in the balance and taken my daughter to practice? The coach gave me no opportunity to explain . They assumed the worse. They sited lack of committment and communication as to their reasons. I have driven my daughter to every single practice and tournaments. Ones is PA, NY, MI and WV. Just one month ago I had a death in the family and due to family being in and the funeral...my communication did lack ..for about a week. I work 50 -60 hours a week, my children are involved in numerous activities..so yes..it may take me a day or two to get back with you. Is that lack of communication? What i need to know is ....are those reasons to let a player go? Family emergencies beyond our control? Do ALL tournamnet teams want and expect daily communication? My daughter is an excellent player. And lives and breathes softball. We now have to start the process of looking for a team all over again...but now..i am not sure what to expect. The other tournamnet team she played for was amazing. I never encounted the lack of trust or the condescending attitude from them. I am at a loss......

My sympathies to you and your family for the difficult issues you are dealing with. I would consider trying to explain the situation to the coach, however, even if they choose to change their mind, be really sure this is what you want. You might spend much of the season wondering if there is a residual impact on playing time, position etc. It might be better to cut your losses. Coaches can and should expect to be kept informed of expected missed practices, games. Not only for effective planning of practices and games, but also as a simple courtesy, so they do not spend 2 hours wondering why a player did not show, are they hurt, in a car accident etc. Daily communications-THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE CRAZY. There are other teams.

Thank you.....I keep questioning if we could have done better. I responded to 12 emails in 10 days! I think i did well in that area of commication. Yesterday..i didnt have the number on me.....and just couldnt leave my siblings side. I have explained to them, but have decided regardless, my DD will not be playing for them. Your right..they are other teams.

It sounds like you communicated well thru email. I understand organizations who become upset with players who don't show for practices, but obviously you have good reasons why your DD wasn't there. If the team acts like this and treats you this way, I say move on and look at other organizations. There are too many good ones out there.

After reading your post several times, I personally think the organization may have acted a little hastily in dismissing your DD. Just knowing how some organizations are, this may have been a way to get rid of a player to open up a spot for someone else.
Just my personal opinion, but it sounds like alot is going on in your family right now where a team that is more family oriented and understanding of unforseen circumstances would suit you and your DD better at this time.
Hope things get better and good luck finding a new team, as someone previously stated, there are plenty of good teams and organizations that will still be looking.

They assured me this was not the case. She was to be a starter and just last night the coach put up a new post for 1 or 2 players "due to unforseen circumstances". I do believe they acted hastily. What we want out of a team is one who works hard, is experienced and has some compassion. All I asked for was understanding....i would rather have been at practice yesterday, than waiting in the hospital while my brother had emergency brain surgery.

Softballmom33
sorry to hear of your family troubles, in life family should come first, for when all is said and done, family is there through thick and thin. as a coach, communication is important but it should never be held against someone that responds to family emergencies in this way. i agree to contact the coach and see if this is their final decision and if it is move on, there are alot of teams looking for 1 or 2 more young ladies to fill out their rosters. our prayers are with you and your family.

sftballmom33,

You have my deepest sympathy for what you have been going through. Although, you have not painted the complete picture. Your daughter was released due solely to a lack of communication, not just for yesterday, but for the past seven weeks.

I am not the coach of the team, but I am the President of the organization. I have been kept informed of the on going issues. Please don not take this as an insult to your daughter or your family. The coach has the responsibility to ensure she has the tools she needs to compete. Your daughter is a fine ball player and if the circumstances were different, she would make a great addition to our organization. With that said, there have been many instances of missed practices, mandatory parent meetings, etc... I feel the coach has been very patient, but her overall responsibility to the rest of the team has to be paramount. This was by no means an easy decision for the coach, but I whole heartedly support her and her decision.

If you would like to discuss this in a non-public forum, please feel free to contact me.

Doug Moenich - President
Breakers of Rocky River