Eastlake Fastpitch Tournament

;D This was a first class tournament. Fields were in great condition and the park was clean. Keep in mind that this is their 2nd tournament that they hosted and I can't wait to see how it will grow. The umpires were not the best but you can never please everyone. Cannot wait to attend tourney in August. Great Weekend!!!!!

Ya know, I stared at this post for a while before I decided to post myself. Not pickng apart your post...BUT...The fields were kept up pretty good and the place was clean. However, the umpires were the worst I have ever seen, not just against our team but all the teams we played and the games we just watched. Every game a team plays, you will have calls that you disagree with and you accept those as part of the game because that might be how he saw it, no biggie but these were horrible game affecting calls that were just ridiculous. We would probably return to this tourny provided they use different umps which they probably will because I think the umps can only get one weekend pass a year from the retirement home!

I have been to tournaments where they do not re-line the field 1 time, the entire day! I think every field was re-lined at least twice and watered down for dust.

The one umpire has difficulty hearing. He was also at the tournament we played in the previous week. I thought the remaining umpires were fair. We played 7 games and the strike zone was relatively consistent. Were there calls I didn't like? For sure but that is part of the game. I was 0-3 after pool play, but it wasn't the umpire's fault.

In our semi final game, as the third base coach, I stood directly in front of the other team's fans. I am sorry, you can not argue every call. I heard that the umpire's grand-daughter played on my team and on and on. Every call was wrong. Then we had a player slide back into third and the umpire called her safe and the world ended. My player smiled and shook her head that she was safe and they started talking to her!

My point is we all know there is a shortage of umpires. The TD did a great job with the tournament and need to know which specific umpires you had a problem with so they can be sure they don't come back. This is one area that I like about NSA, John seems to bring in very good umpires.

I think Tom and Don did a great job with the tournament.

Dan

The TD knows which umps they were as he had a problem with them as well. Stop using a shortage of umps excuse to stick up for them. I never said that the Tournament was anything but a class act...my problem was with the umps and how poor they were. I am happy that you had good umps, I can assure you, many teams found a major fault with them. If you notice, I said the horrible calls went both ways and were also for games that we were just watching. I am not just sitting in my Lazy boy screaming sour grapes. These were bad umpires...cut and dry. I did manage to get my wife a cool shirt though, in the event you wanted to know.

as td of this tourney i would like to apoligize for the umpires. as td and 12u coach i received 9 calls on my cell phone while i was coaching 3rd base in my first 2 games. all the calls could have been eliminated if the umpires ?knew there rules. i also lost 5 lbs from all the running back and fourth to feilds with upset coaches on bad calls. beleive me i had no calls go my way either. we hope next year we will have a completly differant crew. congradulations to the 10u central park crushers, 12u cleveland wild cats, 14u sunraze, 16u sunraze & 18u pittsburg spirit. on behalf of Eastlake Fast thank you all for you're participation and support. ? ?DON FITZGERALD

Don ... question ... I had a fastpitch umpire call me in the last few days and ask me about the tourney, and he said that some of the umps hired were slowpitch vs. fastpitch ... was that part of the problem some of the teams seemed to have? I only saw 1 game personally and didn't observe any issues.

i can't say for sure, i have seen some of the same umps do slowpitch and fastpitch at our park. ?for TOM AND I IT WAS A BIT EMBARRISING. ?one of the hardest things to do was hand out over $7,000 to them. again on behalf of Eastlake Fastpitch we apoligize for umpires this past weekend. ?

eastlake_fastpitch said:
i can't say for sure, i have seen some of the same umps do slowpitch and fastpitch at our park. ?for TOM AND I IT WAS A BIT IMBARRISING. ?one of the hardest things to do was hand out over $7,000 to them. again on behalf of Eastlake Fastpitch we apoligize for umpires this past weekend. ?
You really have NOTHING to apoligize for. As someone who has posted on how awful the umps were, I tried to state that the tourney as a whole was great. You did your "job" and have no control of the level or competency <sp> of the umps. I hope we do come back next year.