Is the runner out? Catcher throwing down to second base

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Batter strike out swinging, then walk in front of the catcher heading to dugout. The runner on first base is stealing second the catcher throw the ball but hits the batter heading to dugout.

What's the call?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Technically, not batter interference. On batter interference the batter is out. Since this batter was already out on strike three, this is interference by a retired offensive player. This is covered by a different rule in a different section of the rule book.

The penalty for interference by a retired offensive player is for the runner closest to home to be called out. With a throw to second, this is probably always going to be the closest runner. But if there was a runner on third, she would be out. Ball is also dead and any other runners return to last base held at time of the interference.

Dale Brigger

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my daughter on a throw to second. Batter struck out, walked across the plate with bat held high in the air causing my daughter to alter her throw and air mail it to center field. When we argued interference, umpire state the batter still had one foot in the box at the time and was entitled to the box. Sounded fishy to me but he wasn't going to change the call so we went with it. No contact was made, but because of the bat being held straight up in the air, she had to change her throw. To me, it should have been clear interference, but he didn't see it that way.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
One foot in the box and the other out of the box would equal the batter being out of the box. But even beyond that, being in or out of the box isn’t the key to this call. It’s not whether the batter was in the box or not, it’s whether she interfered or not. A batter can still be guilty of interference if she’s inside the box.

It’s hard to comment on another person’s judgment without seeing the play, but the explanation you got does not align with the actual playing rule.

Dale Brigger

Reaction score
And that is exactly what I pointed out to the umpire, and I will add that I was calm and did not raise my voice as I am appreciative to have umpires right now! He said he saw her raise her bat but still had one foot in the box and entitled to the box. I then asked if a girl bunts and one foot is out of the box, is she out (I already knew the answer) and he said yes because she was in the process of swinging. I was always under the impression that one foot out is out of the box as you stated BretMan2 but he explained it differently and he wasn't going to change the call so I let it go. Frustrating to say the least as my daughter's CS% dropped, but it is what it is. Thank you for the explanation above and for your insight in many of these posts!!!

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
great points BretMan2. thank you for posting! I appreciate anytime i can learn more about the game and rules of the game!!!

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
The “Softball Rules” section has been kind of dead for months. Maybe now that some games are getting played we’ll see a few more questions.