Mid-American Conference Tournament

raidian70

Reaction score
Last night my daughter and I went to Firestone to watch the Mid-American Conference tournament. During the Akron-Northern Illinois game there was a rather lengthy delay and I was wondering if anyone could explain it to me. Akron had runners on 2nd and 3rd and ground ball to second base. The runner on third was going on contact and scored, which the NIU coach complained about. It was a bang-bang play, from where I was I thought the runner was safe, but we were high up. From their dugout vantage point I could understand her questioning the call. But the delay came on the next pitch when Akron tried to steal second and NIU threw through. I couldn't tell from where I was if the tag at 2nd was put on or not, but regardless, the runner on 3rd came home and on the slide kicked the ball loose to score, with the runner advancing to third. The coach came out to argue the call at 2nd. I have no idea whether she was arguing about the runner being out of the baseline or if she was tagged (and I wasn't paying attention to that play), but the delay came here and lasted at least 10 minutes while the umpires conversed with themselves and who I believe were conference officials. Either way, I don't think that the play at 2nd was a protestable call, it seemed like a judgement call to me, rather than a misinterpretation of a rule. But I was wondering if anyone knew what the delay was actually for.