not allowed to frame.....huh?

larrybowman

Reaction score
Had an ump tell my dd in Chicago that she was not allowed to frame.... I told her not to listen to that. Just thought it was a bit strange?

17smom

Reaction score
That's really odd....never heard that one before.

My DD did have an ump tell her once that she does an excellent job framing but she wasn't fooling him. She was 10 at the time. That one still makes me laugh :)

FastBat

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be like telling a batter to not swing a certain way? It's more style/habit than anything.

Redsfan

Reaction score
We had an ump tell our catcher the same thing in Kentucky, and he was not very nice about it!

wadad

Reaction score
After the first inning of a game the fielding ump pulled our catcher asside and said everytime she frames a ball the plate umpire was going to call it a ball. She smilled and said thanks. From then on she just turned her hand with no elbow movement .
Pitcher got like 9 stike outs..lol
Guess some umps dont like the elbow move..

TnTs_Dad

Reaction score
I seem to remember hearing an ump say that a few years back, 14U I think. Believe the catcher looked at him like he had 4 heads and went about her business.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
He's an idiot first and foremost. If you get a butt munch like that, tell her just glide her elbow into her chest and it does same as framing without wrist turn that ump hates.....

hpifm

Reaction score
Wow, made up rules enforced by unknowing individuals. where do they get these guys?

coop24

Reaction score
Looks like Sunbury Ohio......;)

KO123

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumbs Up/Down

Received: 4/1
Given: 13/0

eagleone

Reaction score
Had one ump tell us that and my response was that I thought you are supposed to call the plate, he was not amused. If they are just calling the glove we probably have a problem anyway.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Big difference betweem "framing" and "pulling" pitches. I suspect that the umpire was addressing the latter. While it might be counterproductive to "pull" pitches, it's not illegal. No rule addresses that.

"Framing" a pitch means receiving the pitch with the least glove movement and for the umpire to get the best possible view of it. All good catchers frame pitches.

"Pulling" a pitch is when the catcher recieves the ball out of the strike zone, or borderline out of the zone, then after catching it pulls her glove back into the strike zone. Generally, umpires hate this...but it's still not illegal. Just dumb.

When a catcher pulls a pitch, it tells me that she didn't think it was a strike to begin with. If it was a strike, then why the need to jerk the glove back into the strike zone? Some catchers seem to think that they can fool the umpire like that, but all it really does is increase the chance that the pitch will be called a ball.

Last edited:

flarays

Reaction score
Big difference betweem "framing" and "pulling" pitches. I suspect that the umpire was addressing the latter. While it might be counterproductive to "pull" pitches, it's not illegal. No rule addresses that.

"Framing" a pitch means receiving the pitch with the least glove movement and for the umpire to get the best possible view of it. All good catchers frame pitches.

"Pulling" a pitch is when the catcher recieves the ball out of the strike zone, or borderline out of the zone, then after catching it jerks (pulls) her glove back into the strike zone. Generally, umpires hate this...but it's still not illegal. Just dumb.

When a catcher pulls a pitch, it tells me that she didn't think it was a strike to begin with. If it was a strike, then why the need to jerk the glove back into the strike zone? Some catchers seem to think that they can fool the umpire like that, but all it really does is increase the chance that the pitch will be called a ball.

TOTALLY agree!!! I saw that more this summer than ever before. More up north I must say. When a catcher simply turns their glove as the catch is made the receiving of the ball is part of the motion and the umpire thinks nothing of it. If they are pulling it as described by BretMan that is when I saw the umpires say something. Usually it was discrete. I tend to focus on catchers so I probably saw it more than most did.

I think as you see more college level umpires doing youth games you might see/hear more of it. Usually they don't like people trying to trick them...lol

Last edited:

DougA10

Reaction score

"Pulling" a pitch is when the catcher recieves the ball out of the strike zone, or borderline out of the zone, then after catching it jerks pulls her glove back into the strike zone. Generally, umpires hate this...but it's still not illegal. Just dumb.

Exactly....

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I've never told a catcher she's not allowed to do this. But I have told a few that, if she does pull the pitch, it's probably not going to be a strike. What they chose to do with that information is up to them.

crystlemc

Reaction score
I can tell you for certain that Larry's daughter doesn't "pull" and does an excellent job of framing, so I don't think he was looking at pulling at all. I have seen her catch many times over the years.

OH Scrappers

Reaction score
I think it is just another power trip for some umps. I can remember years ago right after my sister signed to play softball for The University of Notre Dame, she was catching in a tournament for her team that no longer exists, Buckeye Express, was told by a umpire that framing means your trying to trick the umpire and that she would never make it as a catcher in college. And he kept it up the ENTIRE game. It was the first time ever that my dad asked to see the tournament director who promptly did nothing about it. My sis and I were talking about this just the other day as we were reminiscing about the good ole days. She said that was the only time EVER in her time playing an umpire ever said anything to her about framing. Now that she is coaching at ND, one of her biggest teaching tools is framing. She says good umpires know their zone so to most it should not be a big deal.

TClarkson

Reaction score
Unfortunately the framing comment seems to be in line with complaints others have had about the umpiring at PGF events lately. BTW congrats on the Powers finish, way to represent Ohio!