Ted Williams and The Science of Hitting

Long Baller

Reaction score
I thought I would post something fun to get away from all of the tryout posts of late:)

I was in a discussion not too long ago, and Ted Williams' book, The Science of Hitting came up. Needless to say, I had to go find an online copy of the book and give it my cursory review. The content of the book was familiar to me, as it pretty much echoed what I was taught some 40 years ago about hitting. However, that got me thinking. With so much technology today being applied to hitting a softball, what do people think about the writings in a 50 year old book, written before all of this technology we feel must be incorporate into the game? Should I make my DD read it and include it into her lessons, or dismiss it all as a relic from a bygone era? Ted Williams was arguably the best hitter to ever play the game, but the game has certainly changed since his day. Opinions?

-Hitting is hitting, whether its 1920 or 2020.

-Ted was one of the greatest to ever swing a bat, his word gospel.

-The game has changed, get off my lawn old man!

-If you aren’t using a Zepp sensor and ultra high speed camera’s, your kid will never get out of rec ball.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Wow!!! Such a nice change of pace! Very good question LB.
I am all about the Basic fundamentals and equipment. Basics Got us into the 80-90s and we have had some CRAZY solid hitters in that era too.
All this extra crap is nice but unnecessary in my opinion.

Last edited: