Tournament for top Rank OFC-Teams Tournament Poll.

Just trying to see if it worth doing or not.

God Bless
Ricky Ray Moorehead

Re: Tournament for top Rank OFC-Teams Tournament P

I'm sure you'll get the naisayers who say the only tournament that matters is the ASA Nationals and that might be true, but it would be one heck of a tournament. All these college bowl games don't mean anything but teams like West Idaho State and Michigan still get up knock heads for braggin' rights of the Midas Muffler Bearing Bowl.

At 16U, the priority should be getting the girls in front of recruiters/college coaches and not to see who is "King of the Hill."

You can easily have a tournament field of 40+ Ohio teams (and probably at least 15 out of state teams). It would be great to have a 16U only showcase so that these girls can increase their chances to get their college coaches to a tournament to see them. Recruiting should be the priority.

Good Idea, but you must come up with voting criteria/or certain voters.

This could be swayed by people who come here and effect good teams whos coach does not.

But the voting would be the big issue.

Example: 14U A very good buckeye heat-94 team has 7 votes, yet another very good team HOH-Explosion team only has 3 pts.
Point being, HOH Explosion beat the BH-94 team twice last weekend convincingly.

just my 2-cents

Well for one I'm sure that some Teams just wouldn't care to even be in a tournament like this so I have come up with idea on how the to set it up. And yes your right the voter really need to be screen and make sure there Voting is correct and not based on who you play for or Coach.

Coach's Poll - Teams Eligible Top #16 Tournamet

Team(s) that are Eligible for [highlight]"Ohio Top #16" [/highlight] Tournament hosted by "OFC"

Would be nice as a way to get all the OFC members together for a One Day event.

* Rules for Team(s) Selection !

1.) Team(s) Rank in the Top #10 by the "OFC - Forum Coach's Poll on the [highlight]Week of - 07.15.08 [/highlight] have 1st Choice and Eligibility to Attend.

2.) Teams receiving votes on Week of 07.15.08 would be Eligible to Attend. For the total of [highlight]16 TEAMS[/highlight]

3.) If any of the Top Rank #16 Teams that were Eligible on the Week of 07.15.0 turn down there Eligibility to Attend.

Alteranate Team(s) Selection for Eligibility !

A.) OFC - Forum Coach's Poll Teams that were Rank in the Top #10 from the Weeks of - [highlight]07.08.08[/highlight] - [highlight]07.01.08[/highlight] - [highlight]06.24.08[/highlight] - [highlight]06.17.08[/highlight] - [highlight]06.10.08[/highlight] would be Eligible to Attend.

B.) Teams receiving votes from the OFC - Forum Coach's Poll for the Weeks of - [highlight]07.08.08[/highlight] - [highlight]07.01.08[/highlight] - [highlight]06.24.08[/highlight] - [highlight]06.17.08[/highlight] - [highlight]06.10.08[/highlight] would become Alteranate Teams that would be Eligible to Attend the Ohio Top #16 Tournament.

God Bless
Ricky Ray Moorehead

As I stated in the 14u 5/5 poll thread, I like the idea - it can be an OHIO & OFC thing. I like the idea of alerting college coaches as well - maybe they would find value in attending a weekend of the best teams in Ohio playing, as determined by the states coaches and kowledgeable softball people. I do also agree though that there should be some criteria for voting, so it doesn't turn into an American Idol popularity contest.

Sounds like a great ideal, as long as its played as a DOUBLE ELIMINATION tournament!!! Maybe a single pool game matching teams from different parts of the state and then a double elimination tourney, or just a straight double elimination tourney would suffice.

I know that most top teams are not going to drive clear across the state for a single elimination tourney. Because a first round matchup with 2 of the top teams and one goes home, or 1 bad game, which any top team could have, and then that team is done. these examples are not a fair way to gage who truely is the best of the best. JMHO

If you are going to do it from the poll, why not just seed into DE from the poll. 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc.

^^^Seed teams from the Poll 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 ect into a double elimination tournament. Excellent ideal Ringer!!! ;D

Or... divide it up into regionals, sectionals, and finals.

Now for the tricky point....

When? It sounds like it will be after 7/15. NSA WS starts 7/20. ASA (Eastern and "Big Show") is the next week. Most of the teams are scheduling tryouts starting the weekend after ASA's. So you are looking at mid to late August as the earliest possible date (now they are a 2009 team). HS Volleyball is in full bore by then and that will take some girls out of the picture.

Sorry guys, I'm usually a "the glass is half full" kind of guy, but I just don't see this happening as a true 2008 Top 16 tournament with all of the teams having all of their weapons.

Please don't get me wrong, I like the idea of an OFC tournament, but just finding the date will be difficult.

I agree that getting a week-end to do this would be stuff. I'm not just looking at it from a tournament point of veiw. Also think it would be great way to get all the OFC Fourm people together for the week-end.

But as far as seeded the Teams it would be as fellow.. Not sure about Double Eli or Single will update on that after the week-end. Not even sure if we can pull this off in 2008. But I would like a chance to see if it something we can make happen..

1 vrs 16
2 vrs 15
3 vrs 14
and so on and so on..

God Bless
Ricky Ray Moorehead

Good luck Rick!!!