Transfer question

Does anybody know for sure the rules covering a student transferring after her freshman year. I know they are supposed to sit out a year, but I thought I had read that if both Supt. signed off they could have immediate eligibilty. School levy defeats in our area make the prospects for our team very challenging. And we live adjacent to a district that has very well run program.

Thanks for any input

For some absurd reason the OHSAA has protected the document from having sections electronically copied so I'll summarize and give you the link. Link: OHSAA Bylaws

Section 7 deals with transfers and states in part:

1. The transfer rule only effects students in grade 9-12, in both public and private schools.

2. If a student tranfers after their first day of 9th grade (or after participating in a "contest" prior to the school year starting their 9th grade year) they must sit out one year, except if:

a. The parents/guardian move from one district into another.
b. If guardianship of the student is changed and the new guardian lives in a different district. Still requires Commisioner approval though.
c. If the party to a shared parenting plan makes a residence change.
d. The school closes or is annexed by another district.
e. With the written agreement of the superintents and the Commisioner for the students mental or physical well-being
f. May change from one HS to another in the same district ONCE with superintendent approval (eliminates eligibility for e. above).
g. A student who is self-supporting may transfer back into the school district of the parents with Commissioner approval.
h. If transfer is to the State School for the Blind or the State School for the Deaf.
i. if a new school is established in the resident district.

Bear May thanks for the detailed response. In e. I assume the Commissioner referred to is the OHSAA commissioner? If that is the case what is the chance of them not giving approval if both Superintendent sign off?

Thanks again

catdad said:
... In e. I assume the Commissioner referred to is the OHSAA commissioner? If that is the case what is the chance of them not giving approval if both Superintendent sign off?...
Yes, and depends. There was some hubbub last year, where OHSAA didn't want to approve an elgibility request under e., but I forget what the circumstances and resolution were. Generally I think it's been pretty much a rubber stamp, but with several school districts not passing levies they may be looking closer now.

Just the year before, a girl transfered into my school and was allowed to immediately participate in all sports. ?Both schools superintendents signed off that it was for the mental well-being of the student. I believe OHSAA will generally concur if both supers do.

Bear, do you get the feeling that by restricting the access to OHSAA rules that they are possibly trying to keep the general population ignorant? You have to wonder why would a public institution would prohibit the printing of their bylaws?

Hmmmmm.....

Good question Johnnies, and one I've also wondered. I'm guessing it's simply no one there giving it any thought whatsoever. You would think they would want people to have easy access to the bylaws and be able to print them, but then again you would be engaged in logical thinking.