Using Sub players

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Question for the coaches. When you get subs to play in a tournament how do you use them? Do you play them in place of your own players, when your own players get tired, or only as needed?

Are there playing time promises made? Trying to understand why subs would play 4 tournament games in a row while our girls sit or don't play their regular positions. Just want to understand the thought
process. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
Rerun, you are going to hear every excuse in the unwritten book but I'd like to share my feelings on the matter.

The main reason I would ever play an invited sub player was because I did not have 9 of my "paying to play" regular roster players expected to be in attendance. I need to explain before you judge me.

If we knew in advance that the girl/girls had a scheduling conflict and they told us they couldn't be there, leaving us short, I would go looking for whatever number of girls needed to bring our roster to 9-10.I know others will scream that playing with your softball team is the most important thing in the world. That the commitment to team supersedes anything else in life. In our rural area, the kids and families DO have a life beyond the "game" and if we are to field a team at all, we need to be mindful of it. If you believe college coaches frown on this you are extremely mistaken. They are looking at the big picture and noting that family and education trump playing softball. That's because head coaches in-particular are mentors first and understand their roll. I know this after years of being involved in the NFCA, which includes the best college and travel ball coaches in this country.

As a part of the tryout process, we ask on the player information sheet if there are any weekends the kids would be unavailable to play. Some actually know they have other commitments, even as far as a year in advance. The staff would evaluate the individual's needs and it would be considered before making her an offer to join. We were making a conscientious decision to work with her------not against her.

Players get hurt, Players quit. Players may have family emergencies. Players priorities may change over a year's time. All things we cannot predict a year in advance. You simply have to deal with it. However; if we are made aware she cannot perform for any reason which puts the staff in a position to temporarily replace her and she comes anyway, the sub will get the playing time. Getting subs, especially last minute substitutions, can be a nightmare. I am not going thru all that only to tell them the situation changed at the last minute and we don't need her. If I ask a kid to come because we need her-----she plays.

Again, I bring up my "A" list for alternative players. This list is normally comprised of players that attended tryouts but were not selected as roster players. Another reason is they may be players that were unable to play due to not being able pay the annual fee. They were never promised anything. They would be invited to attend practices and even offered a chance to attend weekend tourneys, but no promise of playing time. If invited to travel they would be assigned a uniform and offered to warm up with the girls and sit in the dugout during games. They would turn the uniform back in after the weekend. You'd be surprised how many were willing to do this without expectation, simply because we were honest and upfront with them. That gave us access to a pool of sub players in the event we needed to go fishing, pun intended. lol.

We never went fishing to recruit a player from another team. Sure, we wanted a quality player if a replacement was needed simply because we felt like we owed that to the rest of the girls. Most of the time we had that player in our back pocket from our "A" list, unless it was a specialty position such as a catcher or pitcher. Bottom line, we didn't steal players. We stayed loyal to our regulars throughout the season. We worked to set a good example and keep our moral compass focused on the ones that had been loyal to us. I have found having a team that gels together can generally outperform teams consisting of individual talent led by a staff with ulterior motives.

To summarize, there are going to be times when a sub may play instead of a regular. For us, there was always a sensible reason. If you're dealing with a staff that is picking up players and sitting "pay to play" players just to win, you really should re-evaluate the message being sent and judge that staff for their motives. They'll scream "team team team" from the top of their mountain if it fulfills their own "in the moment"agenda. A true team will win together as well as lose together. They'll still be together when it's over.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Question for the coaches. When you get subs to play in a tournament how do you use them? Do you play them in place of your own players, when your own players get tired, or only
as needed?

Are there playing time promises made? Trying to understand why subs would play 4 tournament games in a row while our girls sit or don't play their regular positions. Just want to understand the thought

Short answer... bad coach...
The coach most likely is looking to add players for next season and honestly don't care about the ones they have committed too if he benched them or took them from their normal position in mid July...
If a team has an injury to a key position catcher/pitcher these are positions you may need to get sub help for. All other spots should allow for the second player to get time in the spot if the team is assembled correctly.

We carried 13/14 on our rosters 1oU-23U. All were solid players so we only needed to bring in a sub a couple of times at the older ages 16u when the ladies may have a college camp etc. and would miss a day or a weekend. When we did use a sub they came from our B team or sister team if available and filled in where needed...If pitching, the player would get the innings the pitcher not available would have pitched if they could handle it if not the other two got a few more innings. As far as hitting the player would get their share of AB unless they were just a pitcher then they would be DP/Flexed.

Last edited:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
subs - the biggest fear a full time parent / player has but it doesn't need to be that way.
if your low on players, down to 9, you better bring in a sub. play her when you can. I probably would not start her but she will get playing time after all others have been in the game. Its not a big deal unless you the coach makes it a big deal. treat them fair, treat your players fair and everything "should" be ok --- but this is travel ball so expect fireworks !!! lol

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Subs are needed sometimes. Thankfully this season we never needed a sub. We started with a roster of 14. One left after fall. One left after week 2 this summer. Mutual agreement. Be selfless and everything works out.

I think like Dan says Subs are needed sometimes but don't make it a big deal and treat everyone fair. I would not start a sub unless needed. I would have subs hit in the bottom of the lineup. At least for the first game. After that we go by the stats to create the lineup.

ALISA WEAVER

Reaction score
Question for the coaches. When you get subs to play in a tournament how do you use them? Do you play them in place of your own players, when your own players get tired, or only as needed?

Subs also need live game practice to develop their potential. I am absolutely in favor of having substitutes on the field in some matches.

wpaguy

Reaction score
I have seen more guests playing this year than ever. Sometimes its needed...But when having 12 to 13 paying girls on a roster and you bring in guest to play center field....You need to check your priorities ...And yes you can make it far with just 2 pitchers ...a 3rd one is nice , but you don't need 4