Hitting and Hitters Discussion Weight distribution when a Softball player swings the Bat?

Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
What is the proper weight shift when a Girl Fastpitch Batter is swinging her bat at the plate.

1.) Should she have more weight on her back leg?

* Note, when I was working with younger girls in Youth League Softball. We always told them to pick up there front legs during the swing to get more weight on their back leg.

2.) What does squish the bug mean?

*Note, I've hear Coaching at Softball hitting camps say squish the bug. But I never ask what its about.

3.) Who are some great hitting Coaches on the forum that are willing to share their experience with others on the forum?

If your a Hitting Coach and want to Join "Team TSZ" please read the message below.

Dear: Hitting Coaches

I am the creator and Administrator of The Softball Zone, an online forum that has promoted the game of Girls Fastpitch Softball since 1994.

I am in the process of expanding the Forum to include sections from individuals who can help to further advance the game, and I think that your expertise in the area of Hitting would be a perfect fit for the Forum.

If you have an interest in this and/or would just like to understand better how things might work, please e-mail me or private message me.

Thanks You!
Ricky Moorehead

wow

Reaction score
Hitting is a mental game. How many bad swings have we seen where kids crush the ball and vice versa? So many different ways to bat, as there are number of teams and their are coaches teaching hitting. My suggestion is read as much you can about fastpitch batting, go to clinics were D1 and former TEAM USA or other professional female athletes teach the swing. Then work on it 3-5X a week. Tee work, mirror batting, soft toss, cage work, and other batting drill to hone the swing.

1.) Should she have more weight on her back leg?

Transfer of weight and timing are the keys here. The weight on the back leg is a function of timing and loading. MANY different styles with this one. The point is be able to stay loaded on changes and off speed stuff. The transfer weight at the right time to maximize effort.

2.) What does squish the bug mean?
This comes from baseball and the best SOFTBALL kids do NOT "squash the bug" rather they pull their heel up at transfer and are locked out with the front leg. The squash actually takes away from the back knee driving forward.

The other piece is not dropping the hands and casting when contact is made. The best hitters have two "L"s when they make contact and then are able to push the ball. Once you drop your hands its a pop up (most likely) or cast your hands its a weak hit ball in the dirt.

Maxx

Reaction score
I can't believe there are people still teaching squashing the bug.......

Jack Jenkins

Reaction score
Look at a good throwing motion. The weight goes to the back leg and then transfers to the front leg as the arm comes forward to throw. The same is true with hitting, if your weight remains on the back leg you won't be hitting with maximum force or bat speed. "Squish the bug" is terrible because it keeps weight on the back leg and teaches the hitter to just rotate their hips with no leg drive. The back leg should be rotating and driving forward, again just like it does in a good throwing motion. Top level hitters actually pull their back foot off of the ground a bit at just past contact which is from leg drive. Teaching hitters to hit like this is why I believe in masks for pitchers and third basemen...now lets get the thread rolling! LOL

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Look at a good throwing motion. The weight goes to the back leg and then transfers to the front leg as the arm comes forward to throw. The same is true with hitting, if your weight remains on the back leg you won't be hitting with maximum force or bat speed.

What you are saying could be absolutely correct about throwing and hitting. As long as my kid keeps making throws and putting balls in play I'm not even curious.

For what it's worth, a coach who won NCAA D3 nationals a few years ago told me 60/40, back/front. True story.

ApogeeDemon

In the Penalty Box
Reaction score
What you are saying could be absolutely correct about throwing and hitting. As long as my kid keeps making throws and putting balls in play I'm not even curious.

For what it's worth, a coach who won NCAA D3 nationals a few years ago told me 60/40, back/front. True story.
he was probably talking about the load. Contact is usually 50/50 and then that back weight moves into the front side.