you are out

are team(OHIO HAWKS LENOS) has qualified for ASA nationals. But now we have have been informed that we can't play at ASA states next weekend. any thoughts?

Look up the 16u thread for ASA states, they have been discussing this at length. Seems like a misfortunate ruling by the ASA director.

I was shocked when Doug told me this...waiting to see how TD for ASA States shakes this mess out...

We, Stingrays Morman were just told on Thursday Morning that we can't attend the Asa states. I see both sides of the argument for this but it is unfortunate for a couple of the upcoming seniors that were hoping to get some good looks next weekend by college coaches.

I will call warren j tomorrow.. love Gabe's email tonight: This is a huge headache for him...

What a mess. There a number of teams that have decided to drop out of this tournament since they have received a bid in another tournament. Needless to say I am quite puzzled and ****ed about it.

SOoooooo....., of courset there will be MAJOR changes in the tournament schedule. With up to 5 teams dropping, there MAY NOT be FRIDAY GAMES! Its out of my control at this point. I am going to wait as long as I can to make a final schedule. I am almost certain that our ASA state rep will have more changes. PLEASE HAVE PATIENCE.

Now, those teams that arf dropping, please send me an email ASAP to remind who you are. I dont want to get this stuff messed.

16u has something like 57 teams? In this case, if it allows teams in that might not be able to make it due to the field size, I can see it.. but at 12u there are something like 15 teams total...

You should be allowed to play no matter what. Just if you get a berth it goes to the next team in line that does not have one. Or does that make to much sense.

You should be allowed to play no matter what. Just if you get a berth it goes to the next team in line that does not have one. Or does that make to much sense.

It does but when you have to pass a berth down past 2nd place, then you would have at least 2 teams in third place, 4 teams in 5th place, and so on.

So if you only had one berth to hand down, how are you going to determine who gets it if there are 2 or more teams that are eligible to get it based on their order of finish?

I believe that is why the decision was made.

@Doug:

Don't understand your post. Maybe because you were in Oklahoma covering other breaking stories, while this one broke in Ohio :D, you don't realize that all of the teams who already hold berths had registered and were already in the 16u States tournament when the decision was announced that they could not play, causing the pool play in the 16u tournaments to be rescheduled. So the TD had no problem having a 61 field draw. The problem was the fairly late decision that berth holders either had to forfeit their berths or not enter the ASA 16u States.

Is this for all age groups? Am I reading this correct that if you already have a berth you are not allowed to participate in ASA States? First I heard of that.

@wvanalmsick:

You would determine the berth just the way that USA/ASA determines actual placement in their National tournaments for position. For instance, in double elim play there is a clear third and fourth place. http://www.molineasa.com/
And I'm a little too tired to check the actual language at this point, but I believe the ASA Code provides fairly detailed tie-breaking from the tied for 5th place group (which only contains two teams) and tied for 7th place group (also only containing two teams) (I do know off the top of my head that how far that team advanced in the winner's bracket before dropping down is one of the tie-breakers).

Heard from our older teams coach they were out also. He understood the ruling but the timing was all wrong. Now he scrambles to get into another tournament or just take the week off. His concern is the girls that were hoping to get a look from college coaches. My viewpoint, what a crock of ____

They have come up with a solution for passing down berths since the age of time.

Why change it now ?

Crybabies is why . " Well, that team already has a berth and the beat us and put us in the losers bracket and we aren't getting our fair shot at the National berth from the state tournament. Especially since they already have one !!!"

Boo - hoo .....

I bet it gives people a second thought when bidding for ASA events in years to come. A tournament director's nightmare is all it is turning out to be. As well as for the teams who thought they were in and had motel rooms secured for the weekend.

So at 12u we probably lost Hawks and Grand Slam. Maybe more but those are of the top of my head.

@Doug:

Don't understand your post. Maybe because you were in Oklahoma covering other breaking stories, while this one broke in Ohio :D, you don't realize that all of the teams who already hold berths had registered and were already in the 16u States tournament when the decision was announced that they could not play, causing the pool play in the 16u tournaments to be rescheduled. So the TD had no problem having a 61 field draw. The problem was the fairly late decision that berth holders either had to forfeit their berths or not enter the ASA 16u States.

I was trying to see why this would be done - having limited diamond avail is the only thing that seemed to make sense... lol .. I have had enough breaking stories for one season! Eric of Lasers Gray saw us on Thursday and said - "there is the most exciting team in softball!" off and on the field ... lol..

Warren's decision sure has had a large impact on a lot of peoples lives. It would be interesting to see a poll on this topic. I'll bet his decision would be in the minority.

If they are going to rule out the previously qualified team then we should go back to the old rules and do away with pool play if it is just about the berths. The big problem at 16U is the "exposure" side of things. I knew of coaches coming to see players and now they cannot play at Findlay.

They have come up with a solution for passing down berths since the age of time.

Why change it now ?

Crybabies is why . " Well, that team already has a berth and the beat us and put us in the losers bracket and we aren't getting our fair shot at the National berth from the state tournament. Especially since they already have one !!!"

Boo - hoo .....

I bet it gives people a second thought when bidding for ASA events in years to come. A tournament director's nightmare is all it is turning out to be. As well as for the teams who thought they were in and had motel rooms secured for the weekend.

Probably wont have that much effect. Teams that get their bid the year prior wont enter at all and I can see a rule coming down the pike that says no ASA/USA qualifiers one week before States

Probably wont have that much effect. Teams that get their bid the year prior wont enter at all and I can see a rule coming down the pike that says no ASA/USA qualifiers one week before States

The problem is, I believe this also impacts all ASA/USA tourneys, such as the Explosive Fireworks Frenzy. Don't the teams who already have berths have to surrender them when they play in ANY other ASA/USA tourney?